Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 04:44 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisscarlsbadcalifornia View Post
Wow! So much great information here! Thank you to everyone for your thorough and generous replies. Yaeger07, I did presume that all of the baseboard heat I could see in listing photos was electric heat. Oil and boiler heating sources are completely new to me as I’ve had natural gas/forced air heating and cooling everywhere I’ve lived with one exception, and that was electric heat. It’s funny, I’m 55 and have lived in the northeast, mid Atlantic, the south, the Rockies, and on California’s coast and owned homes in all of those regions but haven’t had a very diverse experience with heating and cooling despite my vagabond residence history so thank you for the education. The home we have now has a conventional gas furnace and AC unit for the basement and first floor and a heat pump for the second floor. It is so helpful to learn that there is such a thing as a low temperature heat pump. It’s kind of an “a-ha” moment for me because I have long lamented that our heat pump neither cools the way I’d like during our heat waves nor heats the way the gas furnace does during our really cold snaps. Now I know why! Thank you again for that information!

WHOFANME and Outdoor Lover, you are wonderful ambassadors for Maine! Mark S, thank you for the natural gas map! That is super helpful! We are hoping to rent an RV and travel to the Portland area this fall. I stumbled across a place called The Holy Donut...looks like a cheat day in the making! Any and all suggestions for pizza, Indian food, and your favorite grocery stores are most welcome! Oh, and a great salad place too if you have one you love!
So if you're crossing the Maine border from the south on I-95, (and it's not cold out) I'd celebrate arriving in Maine by stopping in at Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier in Kittery - real pretty spot on a saltwater creek to eat a simple, old-fashioned Maine seafood meal (outdoors), very fresh. If it's cool out, there is actually an Indian restaurant in Kittery foreside - Tulsi Indian Restaurant... and on the donut theme, Lil's Cafe' in Kittery foreside has killer cruellers, reeeeeally good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 PM

179 posts, read 459,588 times
Mmmmmm!!!! Donuts, pizza, Indian, Thanks WHOFANME and OutdoorLover!!! Sadly, I am violently allergic to seafood but my husband enjoys it. Thank you for the recommendations! My husband is in town (Portland) for a few more days so I’m going to pass this intel to him pronto! He said that someone brought in a few boxes from The Holy Donut yesterday but they were empty by the time he spotted them!

Thank you for taking the time to respond with suggestions; I’m looking forward to trying all of them out!

Old 08-14-2019, 06:14 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisscarlsbadcalifornia View Post
WHOFANME and Outdoor Lover, you are wonderful ambassadors for Maine! Mark S, thank you for the natural gas map! That is super helpful! We are hoping to rent an RV and travel to the Portland area this fall. I stumbled across a place called The Holy Donut...looks like a cheat day in the making! Any and all suggestions for pizza, Indian food, and your favorite grocery stores are most welcome! Oh, and a great salad place too if you have one you love!
This is the best Indian food in the solar system, and I will fight anyone who says differently:
Shere Punjab | Fine Indian Cuisine | Brunswick, Maine | Come Visit Us Today

Really, really nice owners and waitstaff too.

This place has the best donuts I have found in Maine: ROCKY RIDGE ORCHARD

Old 08-14-2019, 11:55 AM

179 posts, read 459,588 times
LOL! That’s quite an endorsement! I’m in! Thank you Mark S! I’ll make sure to pack pants that stretch!��

Old 08-20-2019, 08:29 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Electric heat is for summer vacation houses and electric heat was added as an afterthought.

I had electric heat in a covered porch that was winterized. It isn't great. Also I couldn't place furniture near the heaters. It was a fire hazard.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:40 PM

13 posts, read 9,430 times
Just for reference, we just had our gas fired boiler/furnace in the basement replaced. About 9000 bucks. We have baseboard heat thru out the 2 story home (looks like electric baseboard ) on all exterior walls. The heat source is hot water flowing thru the pipes, produced by the boiler, in the basement. Actually a very good and efficient system providing you have natural gas. I much prefer it over forced air systems.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:37 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Several very good responses. Fuel oil furnace, heats the water sends it through the baseboard or radiators. I have friends and relatives who have this plus a wood stove in their basement so they can switch back and forth as needed. Others have a propane heater in living room which heats their entire house. Keeping the doors of unused rooms shut during the winter months is another Maine approach to cutting heating costs.

Also, heat pumps stuck on (mounted) the outside of houses are becoming popular. Most people I know never had to think about a need for AC during the summer months. 2018 was a very hot summer by Maine standards causing people to think more about central air or at the very least a window unit in their bedroom.

On the following website, the heat pump looks like it's setting on something for support; ones I've seen look attached to the side of the house. Mainestream Heat Pumps

https://www.davesworld.com/products/...iAAEgK8zvD_BwE

https://www.manta.com/c/mrprbhc/maine-wood-furnaces-inc

Old 10-30-2019, 12:50 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Thanks OL. I was at Maine Med last week and it's stunning how much it has grown over the years with more expansion coming.
Maine Medical is the only hospital in Maine to make this list. https://www.healthgrades.com/quality..._source=eloqua
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area