Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,336 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are looking to move back to Maine after being in the south for 12 yrs. We are looking at Freeport, Brunswick, Buxton, Durham, Scarborough, or Cumberland.
My question: my son will be a high school freshman and has been in a small, private Christian school most of his time in school. Of the towns listed, is there one you feel will be the most welcoming or tolerant of Christian students?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 05:52 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Probably any of them, if he has enough sense to keep his religion to himself and not try to push it on others. If he wants to be religious, that's *his* business, other peoples' religiousness (or lack thereof) is not.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:39 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrienneP View Post
Hello,
We are looking to move back to Maine after being in the south for 12 yrs. We are looking at Freeport, Brunswick, Buxton, Durham, Scarborough, or Cumberland.
My question: my son will be a high school freshman and has been in a small, private Christian school most of his time in school. Of the towns listed, is there one you feel will be the most welcoming or tolerant of Christian students?
Thanks!
https://www.lifechurchmaine.org/i-m-new

My friends go to New Life Church Gorham, ME. They have other locations throughout the state.

Starting with the church you may attend, will be better with your questions.

I think your son will be fine either way, Maine is no different than the rest of the world just more snow than the south.

Hope this helps and wish you well in your move.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,336 times
Thank you so much for your response. I guess I’m a little nervous about the cultural change for him. Personally, I’m ready to be back north, but my son has only known the south. I will check out the church you mentioned. A good youth group at church would be very helpful, too.
Thx again!

Old 12-14-2019, 04:10 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,221,622 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your response. I guess I’m a little nervous about the cultural change for him. Personally, I’m ready to be back north, but my son has only known the south. I will check out the church you mentioned. A good youth group at church would be very helpful, too.
Thx again!
I live in Gorham and am familiar with Lifechurch, as my family attends some of their community activities (summer carnival, Halloween Trunk or Treat). We are a different denomination, but their community events make all welcome and are very popular in the community.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:52 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,020 times
Quote:
Thx again!

https://www.newscentermaine.com/arti...-year/22228807

This is a link to News Channel 6 Portland.

They found a meth lab in a Buxton church which led to another meth lab in Buxton. I saw Buxton on your list of possible towns to move to.

I personally know several people that had deaths and addicts in their family because of the drug craze right now.

I Bookmarked newscentermaine.com to keep in touch. Also Channel 13 Portland.

I love New England as a whole but Maine is reluctant to outsiders in some areas and wan't the best for your son. You lived there 12 years ago so you may already know the pros and cons.

Wish you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area