U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:09 AM

19 posts, read 8,982 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are planning to move to one of these areas, although Portsmouth may be out of our price range.

I'm looking for opinions/thoughts on the benefits and downside of each area. Weather, crime, access to nature, cost of living, friendliness to transplants, and any other thing you may consider.

This will only be a part time home (4-5 months per season), so safety is also a concern.

We are in our early sixties, on the conservative side (although it's not a big deal to us), and a bit reserved. Thanks for any help...

Oh, as far as Portland, what are some of the preferred communities close to, but not in the downtown area.

Danny Baker

Last edited by danno5757; 07-08-2020 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: addition
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 08:14 AM

2,644 posts, read 912,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno5757 View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are planning to move to one of these areas, although Portsmouth may be out of our price range.

I'm looking for opinions/thoughts on the benefits and downside of each area. Weather, crime, access to nature, cost of living, friendliness to transplants, and any other thing you may consider.

This will only be a part time home (4-5 months per season), so safety is also a concern.

We are in our early sixties, on the conservative side (although it's not a big deal to us), and a bit reserved. Thanks for any help...

Oh, as far as Portland, what are some of the preferred communities close to, but not in the downtown area.

Danny Baker
We are moving to Maine.

I've only vacationed in Maine - Peaks Island and Kennebunkport. We went to Peaks Island off season after the tourists were gone. People were very friendly. I got a very nice impression of it. We went to Kennebunkport during the busy, tourist season so it was hard to tell.

From second hand sources, Mainers are reserved but friendly. However, I did live in MA for nine years. Red Sox fans have a real problem with New Yorkers and Yankee fans. As a New Yorker, I felt like I was caught in the middle of it.

I've asked my friends who lived on the Cape and one who lived on the mainland, in Wareham. They said they wouldn't expect Cape Cod to be friendly. Also the Cape has a drug problem, especially as once the tourist leave, it's dead. Whereas, Maine has industries like fishing, boat construction, potato farms, etc. It has a real non-tourist economy.

I grew up on the Jersey shore, but it can't compare to the Cape. By far, the nicest beaches are on the Cape. If you are only on the Cape for four months, are you going to need or make friends?

Old 07-09-2020, 10:33 AM

Default portland

Thank you for your response, YorktownGal.

We are churchgoers and will likely meet a few people there, but we are also pretty self contained. We have friends here (Charleston SC) that we will continue to travel with.

I spent 50 years in CA and my wife 55 in NY. I've lived all over since then and I'm not real concerned.

I'm glad you mentioned some of the issues on Cape Cod. My bro in law lives there, but that is not an issue for us. We were all in for Cape Cod until a couple months ago and thought it was important to branch out. I am concerned a bit with the property taxes in NH. They are so high! My wife experienced that in NY and she's certainly not interested in that anymore.

We will continue to research, but are leaning to somewhere in Maine - whether it's southern ME or the Portland area we are still not sure.

Thanks...

Old 07-09-2020, 11:17 AM

2,644 posts, read 912,762 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response, YorktownGal.

We are churchgoers and will likely meet a few people there, but we are also pretty self contained. We have friends here (Charleston SC) that we will continue to travel with.

I spent 50 years in CA and my wife 55 in NY. I've lived all over since then and I'm not real concerned.

I'm glad you mentioned some of the issues on Cape Cod. My bro in law lives there, but that is not an issue for us. We were all in for Cape Cod until a couple months ago and thought it was important to branch out. I am concerned a bit with the property taxes in NH. They are so high! My wife experienced that in NY and she's certainly not interested in that anymore.

We will continue to research, but are leaning to somewhere in Maine - whether it's southern ME or the Portland area we are still not sure.

Thanks...
Portland's property taxes are higher than other areas of Maine.

However, Maine's property taxes a mystery to me. One house could have $2,000 a year property taxes and another house in the same town has $7,000 a year. There must be some reason, but I haven't discovered it yet.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2020, 11:00 AM

3,289 posts, read 6,107,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Portland's property taxes are higher than other areas of Maine.

However, Maine's property taxes a mystery to me. One house could have $2,000 a year property taxes and another house in the same town has $7,000 a year. There must be some reason, but I haven't discovered it yet.

Good luck!
The taxes are based on the value of the house and property. It is so many dollars per 1000.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:49 PM

36 posts, read 31,747 times
Whats your price range? looking for a home or condo?

My wife and I have lived in Portland for 5 years, we love it here. Portland is overall pretty liberal but has a great mix of all different kinds of people. I work for USPS so I know the different neighborhoods very well. Give some more details on exactly what you're looking for.

Feel free to PM if you want or just post a reply here.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:55 PM

24 posts, read 15,825 times
Hi Colty31
I am also planning to move to Portland Maine within the year. I want to live on the Peninsula. Can you talk about the different neighborhoods on the Peninsula? East End, West End, Old Port, Munjoy Hill, Parkside? I want to buy a condo. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2020, 03:10 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,560,016 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Danny Baker
Kittery and Dover are nice, less expensive towns near Portsmouth that you might also consider. The Portsmouth area has numerous nice parks (Adams Point, Odiorne Point, Wagon Hill Farm, Fort Foster) and beaches (Jenness Beach, Wallis Sands, Ogunquit), and the Great Bay/Little Bay and the five rivers are beautiful protected waterways for kayaking, fishing, and boating. It's also still convenient to head in to Boston or Cambridge on a weekend daytrip from that area, and you can head up into the White Mountains of NH for some vertical for hiking or skiing.

Cape Elizabeth is just to the south of Portland and has some very pretty smaller public spaces on the waterfront like Portland Head Light, Two Lights State Park and Crescent Beach... I haven't been to Crescent Beach too many times, but it's been largely empty when I have visited, but it's very pretty to my eyes. For towns near Portland, you could also look at Scarborough (which has the Nonesuch River and Scarborough Marsh) and Yarmouth (which has the Royal River), and it's not a Portland suburb, but Brunswick has a lot to offer and is less than an hour away.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-12-2020 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 03:25 PM

Default portland

Thanks for all your responses.

My wife and I have decided to do month long vacation rentals for several months the next two years. Hopefully we will find an area that really suits us. Having thought about it, we don't really need to drop a large amount of cash right now. Instead we'll go up and down the coast and hopefully find an area we really care about

To the poster that mentioned Dover and Kittery. Those are great places we've checked out and may possibly be in our future. Dover has high property tax, but no sales tax is attractive. Again, thanks for all the input.

Danny Baker

Old 07-13-2020, 06:01 AM

1,910 posts, read 4,623,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk0721 View Post
Hi Colty31
I am also planning to move to Portland Maine within the year. I want to live on the Peninsula. Can you talk about the different neighborhoods on the Peninsula? East End, West End, Old Port, Munjoy Hill, Parkside? I want to buy a condo. Thanks!
I think you'll find on street parking more or less challenging in certain neighborhoods. When you start looking, be very careful about what parking is offered (and where) and what happens when a snow storm hits. You'll also want to look at the amenities within walking distance and talk to residents in the area. When I'm working with clients that are new to an area, I seek out those who live there, they tend to be very free about their positive and negative comments and are anxious to check out their potential new neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or