U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:28 PM

8 posts, read 45,016 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Im going to be moving to Maine for College at the end of June with my boyfriend and we just found an apartment on High St.

The landlord told us that there was no off-street parking, but the parking garage was across the street. I was wondering, if we were to get a residential sticker and parked in the zones...what does it mean that overnight parking doesnt apply? Am I not allowed to park overnight on the street in Portland? Also, are there any other options that would be affordable to park in?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 AM

8,252 posts, read 23,142,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudentangie View Post
Hi,
Im going to be moving to Maine for College at the end of June with my boyfriend and we just found an apartment on High St.

The landlord told us that there was no off-street parking, but the parking garage was across the street. I was wondering, if we were to get a residential sticker and parked in the zones...what does it mean that overnight parking doesnt apply? Am I not allowed to park overnight on the street in Portland? Also, are there any other options that would be affordable to park in?

Thanks
Why would you buy a parking permit? There are plenty of free places to park, and you can't get more affordable then that--but you might have to drive around a bit to find an open space. You can park overnight on most streets, but be aware of signs as pretty much every street has either a portion of the day or overnight that is dedicated as a no-parking zone once a week (so street cleaners and other municipal vehicles can do their jobs)--which is messed up because the parking ban is still enforced even in the dead of winter (when the street cleaners are parked for the winter) and you will still get a ticket and get towed. The City has to make it's money somehow.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 AM

BTW, welcome to the neighborhood--you'll enjoy it. What is your cross street?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:20 AM

8,767 posts, read 16,961,491 times
My stepson lives in Portland. He parks on the street. He has to take his car to a parking garage during snow parking bans when they want the cars off the street to clear them. If you don't find a place to park the car during the ban they tow it and it costs over $100.00 to get your car back. It happens after every major storm in the winter. Sometimes they open up school lots for people to park off the street during parking bans.
The rest of the time I don't think there is a problem if you live there.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,207,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
(so street cleaners and other municipal vehicles can do their jobs)--which is messed up because the parking ban is still enforced even in the dead of winter (when the street cleaners are parked for the winter) and you will still get a ticket and get towed. The City has to make it's money somehow.
The parking ban is enforced in the winter so they can plow the streets during a snow event like in most cities in the northeast.

If it was me I would check the several parking garages in the area around High St and rent a space. Better security than leaving in on the street and as mentioned your going to have to find a place for the winter anyway.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks! Cumberland Ave is my cross street....I will be living at 208. Do you live in the area as well?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 PM

Thanks everyone,
this information ins really useful, im coming from hampton, nh...ive only been to portland a few times, and it just seemed like parking would be an issue. but from what ive been reading, i dont think it will be a problem at all!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudentangie View Post
Thanks! Cumberland Ave is my cross street....I will be living at 208. Do you live in the area as well?
Yeah, just down the street.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
The parking ban is enforced in the winter so they can plow the streets during a snow event like in most cities in the northeast.
Yeah, I know. What I was talking about, for example is on some streets-take Grant St for instance-is that you cannot park on the even side of the street every 2nd and 4th Thursday between 10am and 2pm. Then it is every 1st and 3rd Thursday for the odd side. They do this for the street sweepers, but the thing is that street sweepers do not operate during the winter even though the parking regulation is still enforced. A few months ago I saw a meter maid issuing tickets and towing cars and I asked him why the 'rule' was still enforced over the winter. His response was that municipal vehicles still occasionally use the open side of the street. Yeah, right they do

Old 04-30-2008, 11:46 PM

hahaha,
thats a stupid rule.

i would have been like "yeah right, you just want the money"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area