Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 02:52 PM

23 posts, read 30,013 times

Advertisements

Hey guys.
Brunswick is on a short list of Maine towns I've been thinking of possibly moving to.

I stumbled upon the Wikipedia page of the old Naval Air Station and read about Environmental problems with PFCs leaching into the water.

Are any of these issues with the local water isolated to the grounds of the base, or is there an overall issue with these chemicals containing groundwater in the greater area? If so, how far does it go? Would this effect water as far away as Portland?

I have had issues with drinking water in other areas I have lived and one of my main needs while looking at a place to live is clean, healthy water. Was really let down when I read this about Brunswick as it was at the top of my list.

Appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 10:01 PM

441 posts, read 439,067 times
Filter the water. We are on city water where we live but when i was diagnosed with cancer I started to drink only filtered water. We use a Brita and it seems to work pretty well. Kind of pain to keep refilling the pitcher. We may have to look into one that goes on the faucet.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
Filter the water. We are on city water where we live but when i was diagnosed with cancer I started to drink only filtered water. We use a Brita and it seems to work pretty well. Kind of pain to keep refilling the pitcher. We may have to look into one that goes on the faucet.
Thanks, I'm specifically interested in info on Brunswick and the Naval base and the questions above and how it relates to the groundwater and drinking water.

Was your cancer related to the drinking water or did you start using a filter for other reasons?

Old 04-20-2021, 10:45 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:

From what I could find online, Brita does not claim that any of their filters remove PFCs. The model you get should come with an NSF certification/list of what it actually does filter out and to what level.

OP in order to determine whether a particular house's water contains PFCs or other contaminants you'd need to get it tested by an independent lab. It will vary by location. If you would have municipally-provided water (not a private well) you would need to research the water utility's record for PFC removal. One way to avoid groundwater contaminants is to install a rainwater catchment/cistern.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-20-2021 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

From what I could find online, Brita does not claim that any of their filters remove PFCs. The model you get should come with an NSF certification/list of what it actually does filter out and to what level.

OP in order to determine whether a particular house's water contains PFCs or other contaminants you'd need to get it tested by an independent lab. It will vary by location. If you would have municipally-provided water (not a private well) you would need to research the water utility's record for PFC removal. One way to avoid groundwater contaminants is to install a rainwater catchment/cistern.
Yes, I would plan on doing that, but in general (since I am still just trying to find an area to move to), does the Brunswick or even Portland area have issues with PFCs or other harmful contaminants in the groundwater and tap water? This is what I am trying to find information on and it is very hard (which concerns me)

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:36 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times
You could contact the municipal water supply folks:

https://www.btwater.org/contact

Let us know what they say, I'm sure others will be interested to know as well.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
You could contact the municipal water supply folks:

https://www.btwater.org/contact

Let us know what they say, I'm sure others will be interested to know as well.
Yeah, I probably will. Was hoping someone local had some info though since I don't know how the water district will respond to that kind of stuff. I know my current district downplays some pretty serious contaminates in the water.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:47 PM

441 posts, read 439,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowanchor View Post
Thanks, I'm specifically interested in info on Brunswick and the Naval base and the questions above and how it relates to the groundwater and drinking water.

Was your cancer related to the drinking water or did you start using a filter for other reasons?
I do not think it was related to water. Where I grew up we had well water. I truly think this cancer was just a random thing. I was genetically tested and found no mutations. I started to drink filtered water because I wanted to be sure it was safe as I was severely immune compromised due to chemo therapy. I am now cancer free for 6 months and feeling good. I still get blood work done and see my oncologist every three months.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I do not think it was related to water. Where I grew up we had well water. I truly think this cancer was just a random thing. I was genetically tested and found no mutations. I started to drink filtered water because I wanted to be sure it was safe as I was severely immune compromised due to chemo therapy. I am now cancer free for 6 months and feeling good. I still get blood work done and see my oncologist every three months.
Congratulations on being cancer free!

Old 04-20-2021, 07:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
I don't know about the water situation there, but I believe that an activated carbon filtration system can remove PFCs as well as most organic chemicals from water pretty well. If I questioned my water safety, and wanted to be sure drinking water was safe, I'd want to put in an undersink inline filtration system at the kitchen sink. These are big enough to have pretty good capacity (so they can filter a good deal of water before cartridge replacement), but they're not very expensive like a whole house water filtration solution. You can plumb something to the main faucet at the kitchen sink, but you can also get a sink with an extra faucet hole and then install a dedicated faucet for this filtered drinking water - that way the filter is only used for water you drink (as opposed to wash dishes with, for example).

Something like this - you can normally buy different cartridges from the maker to solve different problems, e.g. a sediment filter, ion-exchange filter, activated carbon filter, etc., and if you have more than one issue you can run different filters in series, or if it's just one problem you can run the same cartridge type in both/all three filtering units. Note that these two also come with their own dedicated faucet you'd mount in the 4th hole of the sink flange for drinking water only:

Aquasana higher capacity 3-stage filter
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Aquasana...0-56/301782813

Aquasana smaller 2-stage filter
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Aquasana...0-56/204352500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area