Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family looking to move from South Texas to Maine; looking for information on severity of winters, healthcare employment, traffic issues, friendliness of people

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:56 PM

874 posts, read 1,856,244 times

Advertisements

I love it here but I had done winters before, not as intense but close, in NE PA. I would be cautious for your wife's sake, a move like that is such a huge undertaking and adjusting to a new area is tough on anyone but when you add the weather extremes it can be even harder.
I found that we got used to the cold relatively quickly. I did notice that I felt colder on more humid days even if the temp was the same as a drier day. If you do come, buy your wife a few pairs of comfy slippers (I never bothered with them before but they were glued to my feet all winter long) and a warm robe. Also get her a remote starter for her car. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 10:25 PM

9 posts, read 17,125 times
Default Looking for a change

wow skytrekker! 78.8 degrees for a July high???? Dadgum! That is the high for a typical December day in south texas. It actually sounds nice. I think the perfect outdoor temperature is about 80 degrees. Not too hot... not too cold... juuuusst riiiight.

I agree that the humidity will accentuate the heat or the cold. Because we are soo close to the gulf of mexico (South Padre Island) our humidity level is normally in the 90% plus range. In the cold you have the temperature and the wind chill to deal with. Here you have the temperature and the "real feel" temperature. When the temp is a cool 97 degrees, the "real feel' temp will be about 105 degrees and it's almost impossible to breath because the humidity is so thick.

Ya'll are just a plethera of information. thank you much.

I do have to say that I am a bit curious about the state regs with healthcare. And what do you mean that maine is dominated by Maine medical center? Are there not any other clinics/ rehabilitation centers around? If you suffer from neuropathy or herniated discs, or diabetes or even back and neck injuries... where do you go? I am not sure if this is a good thing due to lack of competition or a bad thing due to the state making it near impossible to start up a healthcare facility. If you know of someone in the healthcare field please let me know.

Also, have any of ya'll ever lived in Austin? And if so, what did you think of it?

Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooby2 View Post
wow skytrekker! 78.8 degrees for a July high???? Dadgum! That is the high for a typical December day in south texas. It actually sounds nice. I think the perfect outdoor temperature is about 80 degrees. Not too hot... not too cold... juuuusst riiiight.

I agree that the humidity will accentuate the heat or the cold.
There will be a couple of days out of the year where the humidity will be out of hand, but Portland generally has that 'ocean breeze' and the really humid days tend to fall further inland.

Quote:
I do have to say that I am a bit curious about the state regs with healthcare. And what do you mean that maine is dominated by Maine medical center? Are there not any other clinics/ rehabilitation centers around? If you suffer from neuropathy or herniated discs, or diabetes or even back and neck injuries... where do you go? I am not sure if this is a good thing due to lack of competition or a bad thing due to the state making it near impossible to start up a healthcare facility. If you know of someone in the healthcare field please let me know.
I am not sure what the regulations are.

Basically, there is the Maine Medical Center (a hospital) and Mercy Hospital. Plus like two dialysis centers, a Planned Parenthood, and the Portland Community Free Clinic. I am not sure as to the extent of medical services that the PCFC offers, but it is wildly popular with college students who need vaccines and physicals (all colleges around here require proof of full vaccinations as part of the admittance process).

There is another 'clinic' in Portland on the way to Westbrook, but that is just an extension of MMC. So yeah, most people just go to MMC for pretty much everything medical related and from what I understand, MMC is one of the larger employers in Maine.

Quote:
Also, have any of ya'll ever lived in Austin? And if so, what did you think of it?
Never lived there, just been to. Aside from being stupid hot it is a really cool place if you are a hipster.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
wow skytrekker! 78.8 degrees for a July high???? Dadgum!
Keep in mind that was an average of July high temperatures, not the highest it got. Southern Maine can have days when the temperature creeps close to 100 degrees, but that's rare, and you'll never get weeks and weeks of high temperatures like that.

Quote:
I think the perfect outdoor temperature is about 80 degrees.
80 degrees might be hoping for a bit much in Maine. You'll definitely have summer days in the 80s. But if you're hoping that the whole summer is that way, you might be disappointed.

Quote:
Never lived there, but I have been there and I have friends who live nearby. Austin is a nice place for Texas. Too dadburned hot though. I certainly wouldn't choose to live there, but that's me. To each his own.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 PM

18 posts, read 40,139 times
Quote:
My wife and I currently live in deep south texas. You cannot get any further south than this without ending up in another country. We are looking for a change in our lives. My wife was born and raised here as were our 3 small children (ages 2, 5, and 7). We have been investigating the great state of Maine for several months. Being in the healthcare field, I admire that Maine is one of the healthiest and safest states in the country. I am looking to open a large health center where ever we go. We have been looking at the greater Portland area. Ahhhh! The raw beauty. Oh yea, and the lobster!

We are tired of the south texas heat (was over 100 degrees the other day). We also would like to experience the four seasons. Not the two seasons here of hot and damn hot. It's actually funny to watch people break out their winter coats and turtlenecks whenever the temp drops down to the 60's. I personally don't mind the cold weather, but my wife was born and raised here and has never lived in the cold. She is concerned. I lived in Milwaukee for several years as a kid so I'm not as afraid of it.

We have recently thought about Austin Tx, but it seems like everyone and their grandmother is moving there. It has alot to offer, but it seems to be getting abit too crazy. I'm not sure that's my style anymore. Also not a real big fan of heavy traffic congestion.

So my question is... How cold is cold? Do you get used to it? When it snows, does everything close down for several days? Or can you still get around easily? Are people in Maine as friendly as people in Texas? I've been on several posts where Mainers seem to be the friendliest people alive, but then I hear about how they tend to shun away anyone who isn't originally from there. Which dosen't make good economical sense to me since one would think that you would want a growing economy...(people). We are planning to make a trip to Maine once my clinic here sells. I know a week visit will be mandatory.

Any thoughts about this post would be much appreciated. Thanks a ton.
Hi tooby,i've lived in Maine all my life. I've only been to 3 other
states in the US and found the difference to be...everyone is in such a rush.
The people I'd encountered...for example cashiers at conveience stores,they looked at me like i was nuts trying to be friendly and have a conversation. I
guess it's most likly a trust,be on your guard thing as crime does seem to
be higher in other states.
The winters in Maine..unstandable why your wife is conserned.if your
used to the hot temp it can be quite a change to come to Maine.This
winter was the worst that i can remember. Portland is a bit warmer than were i live....when you come to Portland you'll have to check out old orchard
beach.Myself i'm a country gal so portland would not be a personal choice for me. Too much traffic,more fast pasted,and more crime. But on the positive side there is lots to do and has more music and the arts. More Jobs as well.
far as temp...today here was 60-65.Portland is 5-10 degrees higher than
the area i live in.it has to be pretty bad for things to close down.And when they do it's only like schools,community stuff.The area i live in the kids are
only going to have 1 month of summer vacation,because of so many snow days, but that has never happened. I can't tell you how happy everyone here in Maine is for spring to be finally here ! Lots of people live in Maine spring,summer & fall,than the most common state people seem to go for winter is Florida. Of course many live here year round,it's mostly people 50 and older.
I havn't been everwere in Maine,but my top choices for beauty of ocean and
mountains would be bar harbor Maine ,boothbay habor is nice as well,Camdem
would be right up there as well...rockland any of these are very beatuiful
if you want to see the best of the coast of Maine.Travel route 1 or 3 for these coastal towns........hope this is helpful..........flower girl

Old 05-15-2008, 04:56 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
Talking Hey! I'm not 50!

Flower girl, I'm not 50 yet!

Not everyone waits until retirement age to get away from the harsh winters.

Many people in Maine go to Florida for vacation, I just extended mine.

Maine is home, Florida is just where I live (right now).

I was home last week, I'll be back next month for the summer!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
I must be "Wrong Way Corrigan" when it comes to retirement destinations. I didn't get to Maine until I was in my late 60's--I guess it took me that long to figure out where "home" was. Its been a "long strange trip" but I love where I ended up.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:00 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Default Congratulations Tooby2

for considering such a radical move from Texas!!! Most of the folks I met down there were so convinced that their state was the be all and end all that they never set foot out of it to experience another way of life.

However, as beautiful as Maine is, and it is very beautiful, I think your wife would be less traumatized by a milder climate. Maybe the mid Atlantic Virginia coast to southern new England, CT, RI- Cape Cod maybe? Winters will be much milder. It will be still hot in the summer (swimming weather) but nothing like So. Texas. I've lived in Austin & the city has changed a lot since I was there. It's gone from a smaller friendly town to a big sprawling place. I was near the UT campus & we left when practically everything on my block got torn down for bigger buildings in the space of a few weeks! I had heat stroke twice when I lived there so six mos. of the year won't be much different than where you are now (temps in upper 90s) . I also suffered through winters there in bldgs that were inadequately heated and insulated. 40 degrees inside a poorly insulated place with one gas wall heater is worse than any New England winter I've ever experienced! Those were my student years.....
Get out of Texas- keep researching- I'm sure there will be a place that would welcome your clinic.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am not sure what the regulations are.

Basically, there is the Maine Medical Center (a hospital) and Mercy Hospital. Plus like two dialysis centers, a Planned Parenthood, and the Portland Community Free Clinic. I am not sure as to the extent of medical services that the PCFC offers, but it is wildly popular with college students who need vaccines and physicals (all colleges around here require proof of full vaccinations as part of the admittance process).

There is another 'clinic' in Portland on the way to Westbrook, but that is just an extension of MMC. So yeah, most people just go to MMC for pretty much everything medical related and from what I understand, MMC is one of the larger employers in Maine.

Never lived there, just been to. Aside from being stupid hot it is a really cool place if you are a hipster.

That's so strange that basically one organization seems to rule the medical community. Is that even legal??? Are you saying that virtually every doctor is directly associated or governed by MMC? Is a doctor not allowed to move into the state and open up their own clinic or hospital? Is a doctor allowed to leave the MMC to open his/ her own practice? For some reason I feel like I may be wrong in my understanding. Please straighten me out if I am wrong... (I sure hope I am wrong)

Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower girl View Post
Hi tooby,i've lived in Maine all my life. I've only been to 3 other
states in the US and found the difference to be...everyone is in such a rush.
The people I'd encountered...for example cashiers at conveience stores,they looked at me like i was nuts trying to be friendly and have a conversation. I
guess it's most likly a trust,be on your guard thing as crime does seem to
be higher in other states.
The winters in Maine..unstandable why your wife is conserned.if your
used to the hot temp it can be quite a change to come to Maine.This
winter was the worst that i can remember. Portland is a bit warmer than were i live....when you come to Portland you'll have to check out old orchard
beach.Myself i'm a country gal so portland would not be a personal choice for me. Too much traffic,more fast pasted,and more crime. But on the positive side there is lots to do and has more music and the arts. More Jobs as well.
far as temp...today here was 60-65.Portland is 5-10 degrees higher than
the area i live in.it has to be pretty bad for things to close down.And when they do it's only like schools,community stuff.The area i live in the kids are
only going to have 1 month of summer vacation,because of so many snow days, but that has never happened. I can't tell you how happy everyone here in Maine is for spring to be finally here ! Lots of people live in Maine spring,summer & fall,than the most common state people seem to go for winter is Florida. Of course many live here year round,it's mostly people 50 and older.
I havn't been everwere in Maine,but my top choices for beauty of ocean and
mountains would be bar harbor Maine ,boothbay habor is nice as well,Camdem
would be right up there as well...rockland any of these are very beatuiful
if you want to see the best of the coast of Maine.Travel route 1 or 3 for these coastal towns........hope this is helpful..........flower girl

I think that my wife , the kids and I would like to be close to "stuff to do" such as movies, museums, shopping, restaurants, etc. right now we live in a city of about 150,000 - 175,000 people but there is really nothing to do here. We have the beach 20 minutes away but I can only wash sand out of my shorts so many times that the beach gets old after awhile. My town is so behind the times especially for a city of its size. For example... we just got our FIRST Starbucks last year. Yes... I said last year. Sometimes, things here are so bassackwards. But I do have to say this about the people here... they are some of the most accepting people of out of towners that I have ever seen. When I moved down here 12 years ago, it took no time at all to meet some great people. I am going to miss my friends for sure. Over all, the people here are real nice and loving. I am hoping that the people of Maine will be able to see that there are some of us "from away" who want to assimilate into your culture and leave things the way they are and live the way life should be lived. Not all of us want to change Maine into someplace else.

But right now I really need to find out more how difficult it is for me to open up a health clinic in Maine.

Portland sounds nice, but I am open to checking out everything from the Portland area to Bar Harbor. Maybe even the Rangeley lake region (Always dreamed of having a lakehouse in the mountains).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area