Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 11:02 AM

288 posts, read 413,642 times

Advertisements

Might be moving to the southern Maine/southeastern NH area next Spring.
Currently living in a high growth area with lots of apartment complexes and rental options. After doing pretty extensive research in the southern Maine/Southern NH area there seems to be almost nothing as far as rentals. Want to live in the area for a while before pulling the trigger on buying.

Was curious if anyone had any tips or possible recommendations for reasonably priced renting in that area (basically anywhere in a 45 min radius of Portsmouth/Kittery)

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 09:14 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,111 times
We have a severe shortage of both. It's almost as hard to rent as it is to buy right now.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
We have a severe shortage of both. It's almost as hard to rent as it is to buy right now.
That's what I was afraid of. Any chance of it calming down in the next 8-10 months?
I currently live in one of the hottest real estate areas in the country and apartments are plenty and cheap, so I wrongly assumed an area like Southern Maine would be just as easy or easier to rent in since it seems like less people are moving there.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:51 PM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Around seacoast NH, you'll definitely find rentals in Portsmouth, Kittery and Dover. How reasonable are you seeking? Dover will be the most reasonable of the three - that's where I'd suggest focusing on. Newmarket is also a cool little town, but it's a little off the beaten path... I like it but not all do for that reason, and Exeter is very nice as well. Portsmouth will have a lot of rentals but they won't come cheap.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 06-09-2021 at 08:18 PM..

Old 06-10-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Around seacoast NH, you'll definitely find rentals in Portsmouth, Kittery and Dover. How reasonable are you seeking? Dover will be the most reasonable of the three - that's where I'd suggest focusing on. Newmarket is also a cool little town, but it's a little off the beaten path... I like it but not all do for that reason, and Exeter is very nice as well. Portsmouth will have a lot of rentals but they won't come cheap.
We really like Newmarket and Exeter. Seemed really hard to find anything to rent there though.

Honestly, I think I just have to come to terms that prices are crazy. What I'm paying now for a two bedroom is about $500 less a month than anything I can find in the southern Maine/NH area and I thought I was paying a lot here!

Old 06-10-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post
We really like Newmarket and Exeter. Seemed really hard to find anything to rent there though.

Honestly, I think I just have to come to terms that prices are crazy. What I'm paying now for a two bedroom is about $500 less a month than anything I can find in the southern Maine/NH area and I thought I was paying a lot here!
Well Portsmouth and Kittery, I'd say a typical apartment is $2,500. Newmarket and Dover though, I believe it's closer to $1,500. And although yes, it'd be nicer to be right in Kittery/Portsmouth, Newmarket and Dover are both nice, interesting towns with a lot of interest around them, and still easy to drive to Portsmouth, Kittery, Newcastle, Rye, etc.

Here's a 2-bedroom apartment in what looks like a very nice building in Dover for $1,550
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5147633175898/

And a 2-bedroom in Newmarket for $1,250 - that actually seems a bit low
https://nh.craigslist.org/apa/d/newm...334263106.html

And another one in Newmarket for $1,550 in an excellent location in town
https://www.trulia.com/c/nh/newmarke...57--2418029364

It's not just the beaches, you have the Great Bay, Little Bay and five rivers feeding into them in this region, it's a beautiful natural resource for those who enjoy canoeing, kayaking, boating, fishing, etc... also some nice swimming holes - like Packers Falls behind Newmarket, and lots of beautiful country roads to explore by bike... seacoast NH is an outstanding area, IMO.

In Newmarket, stay away from the little area that's just west of Rte 108 and just north of Elm St, by the river. That area sometimes floods badly in spring.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 06-10-2021 at 08:24 AM..

Old 06-10-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Well Portsmouth and Kittery, I'd say a typical apartment is $2,500. Newmarket and Dover though, I believe it's closer to $1,500. And although yes, it'd be nicer to be right in Kittery/Portsmouth, Newmarket and Dover are both nice, interesting towns with a lot of interest around them, and still easy to drive to Portsmouth, Kittery, Newcastle, Rye, etc.

Here's a 2-bedroom apartment in what looks like a very nice building in Dover for $1,550
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5147633175898/

And a 2-bedroom in Newmarket for $1,250 - that actually seems a bit low
https://nh.craigslist.org/apa/d/newm...334263106.html

It's not just the beaches, you have the Great Bay, Little Bay and five rivers feeding into them in this region, it's a beautiful natural resource for those who enjoy canoeing, kayaking, boating, fishing, etc... also some nice swimming holes - like Packers Falls behind Newmarket, and lots of beautiful country roads to explore by bike... seacoast NH is an outstanding area, IMO.
Wow! Thanks so much for sending those. Newmarket was actually my favorite area. Definitely don't need to be right in Kittery/Portsmouth.

I didn't think to look on Craigslist. Was checking the bigger apartment sites and couldn't find anything.

I wish I was moving now so we could jump on that Newmarket one. Thanks again. Makes me feel a little more hopeful. That's about what I'm paying where I am now.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Wow! Thanks so much for sending those. Newmarket was actually my favorite area. Definitely don't need to be right in Kittery/Portsmouth.

I didn't think to look on Craigslist. Was checking the bigger apartment sites and couldn't find anything.

I wish I was moving now so we could jump on that Newmarket one. Thanks again. Makes me feel a little more hopeful. That's about what I'm paying where I am now.
Sure thing - I added one from Trulia as well (and some info on spring flooding in town). If the market is very competitive, I think you still want to hit the obvious suspects, but you also want to rack your brain to think of less obvious and/or less easily searched places - to "beat the bushes a little" - websites that are being searched daily by jillions of people - good stuff that comes up will disappear in a nanosecond. I'd also look for listings in local papers, check with local property managers, etc. No matter what, good places at a fair price won't be available for long.

It sounds like you weren't enamored with Dover - what was it that makes you prefer Newmarket (I like both)?

Old 06-10-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Sure thing - I added one from Trulia as well (and some info on spring flooding in town). If the market is very competitive, I think you still want to hit the obvious suspects, but you also want to rack your brain to think of less obvious and/or less easily searched places - to "beat the bushes a little" - websites that are being searched daily by jillions of people - good stuff that comes up will disappear in a nanosecond. I'd also look for listings in local papers, check with local property managers, etc. No matter what, good places at a fair price won't be available for long.

It sounds like you weren't enamored with Dover - what was it that makes you prefer Newmarket (I like both)?
Nothing against Dover! Honestly didn't really spend much time or see much of it when doing some drive arounds up there. Driving through Newmarket just had a really good feeling. Safety is high on the list of priorities and Newmarket seems to be a very safe place (again, don't know a ton about Dover)

Sorry this thread is in the Maine forum and we've mostly been talking about NH

Old 06-12-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Nothing against Dover! Honestly didn't really spend much time or see much of it when doing some drive arounds up there. Driving through Newmarket just had a really good feeling. Safety is high on the list of priorities and Newmarket seems to be a very safe place (again, don't know a ton about Dover)

Sorry this thread is in the Maine forum and we've mostly been talking about NH
Dover is a mix of blue collar and white collar people, like Newmarket, I think that's healthy. Both of them have below average crime rates and some nicer and some lesser streets. Dover has a nice downtown on a river that empties into the Little Bay/Great Bay with some historic mill buildings, like Newmarket. Dover is bigger though, with more businesses and medical services. To me they'd both be nice places to live in a great area. They flank Durham, which is where the main UNH campus is, and FYI, both have some student presence as well, though they're not dominated by the university, as Durham is. Madbury and Lee are also both worth a look if you like sleepy country towns without a downtown themselves, but near to larger towns. I'd skip Rochester and Somersworth.

You're asking for towns near Portsmouth that are desirable and moderately priced. The ones that I can think of that meet that description best are those I've pointed to in NH. Good luck.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 06-12-2021 at 04:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
View detailed profiles of: