U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,785 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to South Portland and have found the perfect house (in the Pleasantdale area) but need some information about south portland. What is the perception of South Portland? Interested in hearing from anyone who lives there and can tell us about what there is to do, price of homes, schools, etc.Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 12:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,613,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by layne2 View Post
We are relocating to South Portland and have found the perfect house (in the Pleasantdale area) but need some information about south portland. What is the perception of South Portland? Interested in hearing from anyone who lives there and can tell us about what there is to do, price of homes, schools, etc.Thanks!!
I don't live there though I used to work in that area. South Portland is a nice town. It is spread out compared to many of the towns in the area. The city side near the Casco Bay bridge is a bit congested and the traffic flow is a bit weird with lots of one way streets. The streets fan out into some really nice neighborhoods.
The City seems to be split into three or four distinct areas. There is the Maine Mall area, great for all kinds of shopping and chain restaurants, then there is Broadway which has a more neighborly feel with old sandwich and pizza places and finally the city side as mentioned previously. There is another area called Spring point near the entrance to Portland Harbor which is quite scenic Overall it's a nice place in my opinion.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:26 PM

198 posts, read 315,711 times
South Portland is a nice community with fine schools. Taxes are probably a little cheaper than Portland, but nothing is diminished by living in SP. I lived there two times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>