U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 12:42 PM

467 posts, read 1,775,293 times

Advertisements

Hey, all!
I'm sure I'll post more Maine questions later on, but here's one on my mind now. I'm from MA originally and now I live in Manhattan. I want to move to the Portland area once I graduate from college next year. My lease of that year will be up December 31, 2009. I could break it in September or October and loose my security deposit, but it seems that most people want rental references, so I guess that wouldn't work?
Anyway, I was wondering what it's like to move in the winter and if it's a bad idea. Do you notice if rental prices go up or down? Also I'll probably be renting a U-Haul and then buying a car once I get settled in town.
I guess the point is I haven't yet (and understandably, this is pretty far away still) thought about the conditions under which I'll be moving and I thought maybe you'd have some comments!

Also, let me throw one more question out there since you're already reading.

I live in NYC, like I said, which is rated as being very safe, but we all know that you have to have your wits about you here and whatnot. One of the things I love about Maine that its something like the 4th safest state in the country. To me, I think, I'd live anywhere in Maine without worrying about crime at all compared to where I live now. And yet I've seen some comments on this board about drugs or prostitutes or something and I think, huh? Are there actually parts of Portland or towns in general where one actually would not feel safe in/not want to live? I don't get it. Perhaps it's relative, sort of like how people who have never lived in a 250 square foot apartment complain that they don't have enough space in their 1000 sq foot home for one, but I think that's a ton of room. Haha!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,335,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
Hey, all!
I'm sure I'll post more Maine questions later on, but here's one on my mind now. I'm from MA originally and now I live in Manhattan. I want to move to the Portland area once I graduate from college next year. My lease of that year will be up December 31, 2009. I could break it in September or October and loose my security deposit, but it seems that most people want rental references, so I guess that wouldn't work?
Anyway, I was wondering what it's like to move in the winter and if it's a bad idea. Do you notice if rental prices go up or down? Also I'll probably be renting a U-Haul and then buying a car once I get settled in town.
I guess the point is I haven't yet (and understandably, this is pretty far away still) thought about the conditions under which I'll be moving and I thought maybe you'd have some comments!

Also, let me throw one more question out there since you're already reading.

I live in NYC, like I said, which is rated as being very safe, but we all know that you have to have your wits about you here and whatnot. One of the things I love about Maine that its something like the 4th safest state in the country. To me, I think, I'd live anywhere in Maine without worrying about crime at all compared to where I live now. And yet I've seen some comments on this board about drugs or prostitutes or something and I think, huh? Are there actually parts of Portland or towns in general where one actually would not feel safe in/not want to live? I don't get it. Perhaps it's relative, sort of like how people who have never lived in a 250 square foot apartment complain that they don't have enough space in their 1000 sq foot home for one, but I think that's a ton of room. Haha!
Moving any time of year is no fun! If you move in winter you can sometimes take advantage of icy sidewalks and slide furniture to the doorway without having to lift it quite as much. You can also use a snowbank as a ramp. Unless it's 20 below or a driving snow I'd think you'd be fine moving in January.Plus you won't work up as much of a sweat!
As far as rents go ...heating is a concern though you will be in the middle of heating season by then so there shouldn't be any surprises with extra fuel surcharges being attached to your monthly rent.

I'm not sure how the neighborhoods are now though K-Luv lives in Portland and may be able to answer this question better.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:01 PM

8,315 posts, read 23,721,152 times
Quote:
Anyway, I was wondering what it's like to move in the winter and if it's a bad idea. Do you notice if rental prices go up or down?
Personally, I would not mind moving in the winter myself, but that is just me. I have seen a good amount of people moving in and out over last winter, so it is definitely doable, although probably not the ideal time. Really though, it is too early to tell; there could three feet of snow on the ground or no snow at all. It could be 50 degrees F outside or it could be 2 degrees F. This may sound corny, but check out the Farmers Almanac for the forecast of this upcoming winter (their methods are a well-guarded secret, but they seem to be accurate for the most part).

Rent does not go down over the winter, and with the cost of heating oil these days everyones' rent is going up (mine by a whooping $20 a month) and I bet that the average rent around town may be about $100 higher then it was last year (for a new lease). But, coming from New York you will probably think that rent is dirt cheap around here. Maybe.

Quote:
I live in NYC, like I said, which is rated as being very safe, but we all know that you have to have your wits about you here and whatnot. One of the things I love about Maine that its something like the 4th safest state in the country. To me, I think, I'd live anywhere in Maine without worrying about crime at all compared to where I live now. And yet I've seen some comments on this board about drugs or prostitutes or something and I think, huh? Are there actually parts of Portland or towns in general where one actually would not feel safe in/not want to live?
Coming from New York you will probably laugh at what people consider crime around here, however, that does not mean that it does not exist. As a whole, Maine is a relatively safe state, but outside of the Portland area, Auburn/Lewiston, Bangor and maybe Brunswick the state is pretty much small time rural communities (although a few may disagree with this as it seems that even a town of 5,000 people is considered too large for some Mainers around here) so you can see why/how the crime stats are so low.

A majority of the crimes around Portland (and the state) seem to be drug related; mostly just small time dealing, but you also get the other nuisances that go along with drug use like prostitution, minor burglaries, fights, DUI's (or OWI, DWI-all the same thing) and the like. There are some gang members around town, but no drive-by shootings. The few murders that do happen seem to always fit this scenario: Twenty-something male murders family while under the influence of ______________. There were two shooting incidents over the last six months that were not familial, but they did involve drug dealing.

The other thing is that there seems to be a lot of crimes that are committed simply out of boredom. For instance, this last winter saw two teenagers (?) who went around and shot-out the windows of about 50 cars with a bb or pellet gun. There was also another guy who set seven cars on fire over the course of an evening (one car that was between two buildings set the buildings on fire).

Another thing is sirens, you hear them all the time. I do not recall hearing sirens so often, and I have heard this from another person who used to live in Chicago. A friend of mine who is currently visiting from Minneapolis also commented on the amount of sirens and asked if there were a lot of fires in this city. I dunno.

Other then that it is pretty safe.

I would write more, but I got some beer to drink with my guest.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 PM

467 posts, read 1,775,293 times
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I have nothing to worry about moving in the winter. Would you agree that for rental purposes a broken lease might hurt me? I've never considered it before now and I don't know how it would be taken or if it's more important that I payed my rent every month on time.

I meant by rent decreasing that certain times of the year the demand for apartments may be less and so if landlords are getting antsy and want to rent a property, they might lower the rent to get people in. I dunno. I know that heat is going to be sky high, I'm not looking forward to that. I'm hoping to pay no more than $1300 a month and that's over $1000 less than what I pay now, so yeah it's relatively cheap, but not as cheap as the south.

K-Luv, are there specific neighborhoods of Portland that experience the most crime? I don't know whether or not I'll end up in Portland, at this point I want a coastal town between Kittery and Portland, so anywhere in between's fine. I've also started thinking about some of the suburbs north and west of Portland, but I have family in Northern MA and I want to be as close to them as I can and also close to the ocean and such.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:17 PM

3,231 posts, read 6,982,913 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I have nothing to worry about moving in the winter. Would you agree that for rental purposes a broken lease might hurt me? I've never considered it before now and I don't know how it would be taken or if it's more important that I payed my rent every month on time.

I meant by rent decreasing that certain times of the year the demand for apartments may be less and so if landlords are getting antsy and want to rent a property, they might lower the rent to get people in. I dunno. I know that heat is going to be sky high, I'm not looking forward to that. I'm hoping to pay no more than $1300 a month and that's over $1000 less than what I pay now, so yeah it's relatively cheap, but not as cheap as the south.

K-Luv, are there specific neighborhoods of Portland that experience the most crime? I don't know whether or not I'll end up in Portland, at this point I want a coastal town between Kittery and Portland, so anywhere in between's fine. I've also started thinking about some of the suburbs north and west of Portland, but I have family in Northern MA and I want to be as close to them as I can and also close to the ocean and such.

Hi there cantontothesky,
I've been following this thread and feel like k-luv is giving you great information. I have no idea regarding high crime related areas, they will be minor compared to where you are coming from. However I feel you must know that landlords most likely will not reduce the rental rates throughout the winter. Their places are all ready rented. They will not evict if someone can't cover an increase in rent. An empty unit vs. a lower rental income- no, they'll work with the tenant vs. having it empty to cover the cost. You should be fine at $1300 and find a fairly nice apt.
Winter seasonal rentals are not common in southern Maine.
Best of luck to you!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 AM

47 posts, read 117,404 times
Moving in winter means the lawn is frozen. If there's not snow on it, it means the U-haul can back right up to the front door! Well, that was our situation, worked well for us.

I hate moving in the spring - mud season can be terrible. Helped a person move this spring in NH and all their old carpets were kept around for the "lawn" and the "driveway" - which turned to mudpits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area