Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM

7 posts, read 22,682 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

After months of lurking on this site, we have a better grip on our time line on our move to the greater Portland area. We know a bit about Maine as our family has a summer place in Acton on Great East Lake. That said, we have not spent more than a full week on the ground and it is time for us to get serious with our research and start asking questions.

Here is a bit about us:

Young (30s) married couple with a 1-yr-old. Hubby is a project manager/GIS/water quality/biologist. I am a sign language interpreter/government EEO counselor. We currently live in hectic stressful and expensive Northern VA (outside the beltway).

What we are looking for and the related questions:

Two jobs - I am looking for a govn't job. Possibly in the Brunswick area. Hubby is looking at a transfer with his current company or other opportunities around Portland.
Q - Would the commute from Portland to Brunswick 5-days a week be unrealistic?

A house - We are looking for a single family home with a yard.
Q - Can you recommend communities of single family homes with a high concentration of young, active families?

TIA

Marisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Hello Marisa,

Welcome to the forum. On the surface, the Brunswick-Portland commute is a short 20 minute drive, but you have to figure out how far each stop (home and work) is from Interstate 295, which could add considerable time to your commute. However Brunswick to Great East Lake seems like a long drive. Perhaps you could both find work in the Portland area and live in the western suburbs, closer to Acton. As for single family homes, there are large concentrations of them in all communites in the Greater Portland area. I'm not sure of your budget, but with the exception of the Portland peninsula, you should have no trouble finding homes with yards. Congratulations on parenthood, we have an almost 18 month old and you'll find Maine is a great place to be.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:00 PM

44 posts, read 130,468 times
Default Welcome

I lived in Washington DC for 13 years before moving up here. You are in for a real culture shock. When folks get annoyed about the Casco Bay bridge being backed up, I usually chuckle. What you might be waiting for 15 minutes? Brunswick can be a hike. You might want to try something half way between Portland and Brunswick. Good luck

Old 06-13-2008, 08:29 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscrantonian View Post
I lived in Washington DC for 13 years before moving up here. You are in for a real culture shock. When folks get annoyed about the Casco Bay bridge being backed up, I usually chuckle. What you might be waiting for 15 minutes? Brunswick can be a hike. You might want to try something half way between Portland and Brunswick. Good luck
LOL - a hike? Brunswick to Portland? hehe! 20-30 minutes tops. From the on ramp in Brunswick to Tookeys is 20 minutes, on a BAD day! exscrantonian, the speed limit is 65 mph now! Take it up a notch.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Culture Shock - I am originally from Ashland MA and hubby is from Buffalo NY. The shock after DC life is exactly what we are looking for. Grin!

Commute - We are both used to a 30 min to 1 hour commute - IN TRAFFIC. We would still like to consider housing on the northern side of Portland. The other option we have considered is selecting a place half way between Portland and Portsmouth. Portsmouth govn't jobs are plentiful and hubby really will need to work out of the Portland office. Is there a half way point that would work for us between Portland and Portsmouth? Of course - a Maine town is our preference. Thoughts?

exscrantonian - 13 years, huh? How has it been? Any words of wisdom as we try to make this happen?

Marisa

Old 06-14-2008, 03:20 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Saco or Kennebunk (not Kennebunkport) would be towns that I would consider if I needed to be twix Portland and Portsmouth. I believe Portland would be the hub for your non-work related life...as the commute to Portsmouth would be longer.

Good Luck.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Elston - do I remember correctly that you moved from Silver Spring? How was the move? Any words of advice?

Old 06-14-2008, 09:08 AM

No, waterlovers, we moved from southern California. The selling of the house out there was agonizing....the packing was a lot of work.....the movers were good but expensive....the cross country-trip was really fun even with the dogs....and closing and moving in and getting settled.....has been pure joy!

Advise? Do It! Don't agonize...it will all work out.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:03 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlovers View Post
Hi all.
Here is a bit about us:

Young (30s) married couple with a 1-yr-old. Hubby is a project manager/GIS/water quality/biologist. I am a sign language interpreter/government EEO counselor. We currently live in hectic stressful and expensive Northern VA (outside the beltway).

What we are looking for and the related questions:

Two jobs - I am looking for a govn't job. Possibly in the Brunswick area. Hubby is looking at a transfer with his current company or other opportunities around Portland.
Q - Would the commute from Portland to Brunswick 5-days a week be unrealistic?
Since Brunswick and Portsmouth for a possible location of government jobs I am thinking that maybe you work for the Navy?

Anyways, the commute from Portland to Brunswick is totally doable and would be considered a fairly easy commute as traffic congestion would be almost none existent (although considered a nightmare by Maine standards).

Not sure who your husband works for, but the Portland Water District would be a really good place to work. My GF did some archiving for them and everyone that works there really loves their jobs (which seems kind of rare for a government position).

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlovers View Post
A house - We are looking for a single family home with a yard.
Q - Can you recommend communities of single family homes with a high concentration of young, active families?
Hmmm, young active families? That is almost an oxymoron around here. Almost. The only places that immediately come to mind would be South Portland and maybe the area around USM (the Portland campus) for a home with a yard, however, the vast majority of the young people (active or otherwise) live on the peninsula, but good luck finding a home with a yard, let alone a single family home (if it is not a condo or at least a duplex it will be a mansion). The rest of the city (North Portland?) seems to be pretty much an older crowd but along with the USM area and South Portland is basically the only place for single family homes.

Have you looked into living in Brunswick? Brunswick offers everything that Portland offers but on a (slightly) smaller scale. It is also in a more beautiful area and is not as blighted as Portland is.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:45 AM

We are definately not a "young active family" but we live in a very nice subdivision in Gorham and most of our neighbors (about 24 houses) would be considered young active families with young children; most of the houses have over an acre of land and beyond the immediate yards there are lots of woods and fields. The school system is supposed to be good...the kids I have met are well behaved and well mannered. There seem to be a lot of similar neighborhoods in the area.

This is a college town.....so during the school year there is some of the vitality of youth, and some of the benefits of the college....e.g. concerts.
Portland is only about 20-25 mins away.

I don't have any idea about the drive to Brunswick. I think the communities of Cumberland and Topsham might be closer. I am sure someone who knows the area better will offer suggestions.

Maine is a rural state....tho many would disagree...even Portland is a very small city. I don't know what sort of activities you are used to or are looking for...but life does exist here...and for young families with kids....there are many other young families with kids....they must be doing something for activities. I think you will find folks similar to yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area