Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Cheese.
You are so right!
However, I cannot for the life of me find SHARP fresh cheddar cheese out here in the wild, wild west in the deli section. All the Hannafords have that tasty extra sharp from Vermont!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Cheese.

Seriously. Everywhere else we lived, you went to the dairy aisle in the store, and you had a variety of cheeses. Cheddar in sharp, medium, and mild, then mozzarella, Monterrey Jack, swiss, and maybe a few others. To get the gourmet stuff you went to the gourment aisle.

In Maine, you go to the dairy aisle in the story, and there are three dozen types of cheddar, then more cheddar, then some more cheddar, then American. If you're lucky, there might be a little mozzarella or Monterrey Jack, if you really, really look hard.

To find things like Swiss, Monterrey Jack, most of the mozzarrella, you have to search over in the deli.
What store do you go to? Hannaford's in Topsham or Yarmouth has literally dozens of different cheeses, Shaws too!
There are cheese shops and delis all over the place!

Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Also try a gourmet / wine store like Provisions, they carry some different types of cheese. I'm a smoked Gouda girl myself but have always been able to find it in any grocery store cheese section.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
If you love extra sharp cheese and want a taste of heaven, look in Hannaford's individually packed cheese chunk section for Aged Gouda. I think it's the "Old Amsterdam" brand. You don't want any of that soft or young Gouda stuff. It's gotta be aged, the older the better. Pinch the package, it should feel like a brick, not a piece of cream cheese. I assume you can find it in specialty cheese shops as well, and it's certainly available online.
Anyway, just try it if you haven't already.

I'm not wholly qualified to answer the OP's core question as I've lived in Maine for a long time, just off and on in-between various life changes and am now back agaiin, hopefully to STAY this time. The moving's killing me for one thing, too much stuff and for another I'm not happier anywhere else on earth. Well.......to be totally honest, if I won a billion-dollar lottery I might be persuaded to consider Paris, Provence, or Alsace, but outside of that, nah, nowhere else

The one thing I found startling the last time I moved back 'home' was how darned expensive the real estate has gotten in the southeastern part of the state, and how little real farmland there is anymore, compared to my previous digs in the western mountains. But it's all in your perspective. People from MA think they've died and gone to Country Living Magazine heaven when they find an affordable home on an acre, while people like me think hey, only an acre? what's up with the creeping suburban lifestyle thing? And the wider use of lawn care products is a bit disconcerting. Why in God's name would I want to kill dandelions on my lawn? They're beautiful, they have a nice smell, they're fun to blow on when they go to seed, and I'm definitely not interested in living in a biological monoculture.

Outside of these minor details, Maine is still as beautiful and the people still as friendly and helpful as always.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:23 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
And the wider use of lawn care products is a bit disconcerting. Why in God's name would I want to kill dandelions on my lawn? They're beautiful, they have a nice smell, they're fun to blow on when they go to seed, and I'm definitely not interested in living in a biological monoculture.
I feel that way about the white violets that can "take over" a lawn....I wish they would take over a good portion of mine......I dug some at a friends house and set them in a section of my "lawn" and am in hopes that they will grow and prosper. The house where I dug them looks like a story book cottage in the woods in the spring when they are blooming! I love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area