Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 PM

37 posts, read 57,271 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a new place to live. I visited the Portland area, going up the coast all the way to Freeport. I really loved the coastal area, especially the old port exchange...it was really cool. I was there during the holidays...it was so colorful and festive, and horse drawn carriages going up and down the cobblestone streets made me imagine what it must of been like in the 1800's. Portland Rocks...what a cool city...so underated and way better than its west coast counterpart. Anyway, I have always liked Maine, but hesitate to move there because of the harsh winters, or what I presume will be harsh. Are the winters day in and day out cloudy, gloomy skies? How much snow, on average does the city get? Does it ever get warm there, like over 80? I read once that AC is not really needed in ME? When does summer finally arrive? Is spring cold, rainy and cloudy? Does Fall set in in August?
Lastly, and this question I would guess to be open to alot of opinions. If I were to ask what suburb of Portland is the ritziest, fanciest, toniest, most upscale, snoby place, one that if you said you were from there, most people would automatically think you were rich;... which suburb is that?
From my experience, I would say Falmouth/Foreside...would I be correct?
Thanks for your responses and I envy all of you for living in what is probably the most beautiful state in the nation...and Ive been to all of them except Alaska. If I could just get past this winter thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 04:40 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Portland Maine will actually be one zone up from Milwaukee- the former being a USDA zone 5 while Portland Proper and close by to the coast a zone 6. What does this mean? Portland has a low per annual minimal temp of -10 degrees- while Milwaukee -20. Portland has a slightly milder climate then Milwaukee with less weather extremes. Portland will have a slightly higher yearly precipitation total due to its eastern coastal location.

Winters in Portland begin late because of the oceanic influence (the water remains relatively warm into December) retarding the arrival of winter- but in the spring the now cold waters of the Atlantic make for chilly Aprils, but this is true throughout all of New England's maritime areas- the good thing is when the first heat waves set in in mid to late June and July a sea breeze cools things off in coastal locales.

Summers average around 80 degrees- but days 90 and above are not uncommon, ( about 5 days per year) along with levels of high humidity. July is the warmest month, with low 80s common; followed by August with temps 74-78 degrees ; Average September highs upper 60s to low70s- . Summers are mostly sunny- autumns are mild (also the sunniest season) with October highs about 56-62 degrees, with November averaging about 50-55 degrees- although temps can reach 70 degrees in October, and the 60s into November. First frost in Portland is early October. Autumns in coastal New England-including Portland are mild and sublime.

Chilly/raw weather sets into most of Southern New England (CT RI most of Massachusetts by mid December)-, and Maine, VT NH two weeks earlier.

Winters once they begin in earnest near Christmas can bring high amounts of snow- but this varies by year; though in Portland's coastal location you will see rain sometimes. Climate change is making Maine winters have less bite then only a generation ago. Winter days can be cloudy and disagreeable, but then there can be several days of sunny cold weather. Thaws and mild days are also common in the winter.

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-12-2008 at 05:25 AM..

Old 07-12-2008, 05:26 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiloxi View Post
Lastly, and this question I would guess to be open to alot of opinions. If I were to ask what suburb of Portland is the ritziest, fanciest, toniest, most upscale, snoby place, one that if you said you were from there, most people would automatically think you were rich;... which suburb is that?
There are expensive neighborhoods and wealthy people (especially summer residents) but I don't think you will find many Mainers who are that pre-occupied with the outer appearance of wealth or that impressed with it. Even the Bush compound in Kennebunkport has the semblance of a sea side "cottage"--albeit a very nice one!

There are expensive neighborhoods, but Maine is an economically depressed state. On the radio yesterday they were saying that on measurements of hunger, malnutrition and poverty.....it ranks with Lousianna and Mississippi

Old 07-12-2008, 03:42 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Skytrekker got the weather thing down pretty good, but here is a quickie follow-up:

Portland receives, at a minimum, twice the amount of snow that Milwaukee receives.

Milwaukee will average 15 degrees colder in the winter and 15 degrees warmer in the summer.

Portland has it's share of humid days, but nothing like what you experience in Milwaukee.

A/C is a personal matter. Along the coast, there will be some days and nights where you will wish that you had one, but the number of days that (I wished I had A/C) are that hot do not warrant the costs (for me, personally). The further inland you go, the hotter and more humid it gets.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:50 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
From my experience, I would say Falmouth/Foreside...would I be correct?
I would say Cape Elizabeth for sure and yes, Falmouth Foreside as well, although I personally would not describe them as suburbs. Falmouth, maybe. There is also the West End, home of historic multi-million dollar single-family mansions and of course, the condos downtown and in the Old Port.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:16 PM

14 posts, read 32,582 times
It's July 18th and the thermometer hasn't broken 90 degrees yet. Summer arrives when the calendar says so. It really didn't get warm here this year until late June. Also, there seems to be thick fog( early morning/mid to late afternoon) in June as well. Winter was unusually snowy - 100", but not terribly cold. There is a great hill on the East. Prom for sledding...enjoy.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 PM

33 posts, read 101,339 times
I would say Cape Elizabeth would have generally the kind of reputation you're talking about. Note that Portland (and Maine, for that matter) doesn't have the same kinds of city/suburb structure and dynamics that you typically see in other areas of the country, with poor sections and rich sections. There's very little money spread around and for the most part things haven't been "developed" much in the several hundred years since these places were founded.

I've never been to Milwaukee to compare but I think you have a fair idea of the climate from your post. Expect a significant amount of "gloom" throughout the year, and during wintertime for sure. Fog, overcast skies and precipitation are pretty common. When summer does come (July-Aug.), the sunshine and 80+ deg. temps are most welcomed. I don't think a whole lot of people have A/C, maybe a window unit to help stave off a week or two's worth of summer humidity.

You said you've already visited, but my advise if you are seriously thinking of moving there would be to make sure you've soaked in a week or so a least of the general area. Maine is an exceptionally unique area of the country that you won't be able to appreciate until you've had a chance to get bored, get sick of seafood, or fed up with the clammy weather. Your observation about about the 1800s is pretty close, and if that appeals to you more than the accoutrements of the average modern city, it might be for you.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Walt

Old 07-27-2008, 06:39 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,263,704 times
I grew up in New Mexico in the hot, hot heat. Here is my impression of Portland area winters (so far):

Quote:
Are the winters day in and day out cloudy, gloomy skies?
Not usually. Last winter, which all the locals agreed was really harsh, we'd sometimes have 4-5 day stretches of snow and gloom, but then the sun would come out and it would be glorious. VERY cold at night (since cloudcover helps to hold in the heat), but wonderful winter weather.

Quote:
How much snow, on average does the city get?
Last winter, we got a lot. The winter before... not much. It varies.

You can check out the averages here:

//www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Maine.html

Quote:
Does it ever get warm there, like over 80?
Oh, yeah! And humid too. So far this season, from about mid-June to now, it is what I would call warm to hot. Seldom is there a day where the daily high is below the mid-70s, most tend to range in the upper 70s, and we've even had a few days that pushed into the 90s.

Quote:
I read once that AC is not really needed in ME?
Depends on your comfort level. It cools off at night. We get by with fans and open windows, but if we could afford A/C right now, I'd get it.

Quote:
When does summer finally arrive?
This year, it hit about mid-June.

Quote:
Is spring cold, rainy and cloudy?
This year, we had about two weeks of beautiful, sunshiney spring. Then it went into summer.

Quote:
Does Fall set in in August?
If by "fall" you mean brisk temperatures and actual cold at night, then no. It gets what I would call "comfortable" in September. Cool in October. And the cold begins to set in round November.

Quote:
No clue, since you just described the opposite of me.

We're actually in Brunswick, not Portland, but they are very close from one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area