Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:58 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
From my observations, in this area, and entirely on pavement, Front Wheel Drive seems to be the best.
Thanks for that info, forest! My DW has a front-wheel drive car that does very well in snow here, and is fairly new, so we'd like to keep that when we move up there. My pick-up is 4WD but I'll probably buy another newer one (but used) before heading up. We'll need at least one 4WD vehicle up there, as we'll be looking from your area north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Thanks for that info, forest! My DW has a front-wheel drive car that does very well in snow here, and is fairly new, so we'd like to keep that when we move up there. My pick-up is 4WD but I'll probably buy another newer one (but used) before heading up. We'll need at least one 4WD vehicle up there, as we'll be looking from your area north.
I would recommend holding onto your older 4WD, and focusing effort on refurbishing it.

Older vehicles pay less excise tax.

ipsa scientia potestas est

Old 08-25-2008, 05:07 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
My first 4WD was a 1963 Jeep Wagoneer. It came with a compass on the dash because Wagoneers were expected to go where there were no road signs. I have had 4WD since. I was an EMT and volunteer fireman for many years. I need to be able to go when the average person is better off to reschedule their trip. The wife and I both drive 4WD vehicles. They are definitely safer than 2WD in Maine. Yes, you see them in the ditch. When you hydroplane on slush at high speeds, no tire is going to keep you on the road. Slow down and get to your destination safely.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I would recommend holding onto your older 4WD, and focusing effort on refurbishing it.

Older vehicles pay less excise tax.

ipsa scientia potestas est
This old Ford truck of mine has been through the pits! I have used it in our landscaping work now for 6 years (translation: a lifetime of hell!) and it was used when I got it! I'd love to keep it, but will be lucky if it lasts until I retire.

Don't worry - I'll be getting a used newer one, probably at least 5-6 years old, but one that hasn't had the punishment this one has taken. I'd love to keep this, but doubt if it would be any good. Best news is, what I'm looking for is a gas hog, and those are going pretty cheap around here now!

ipsa scientia potestas est!

Old 08-25-2008, 05:31 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
I have a decent 98 Chevy ex-cab, 4X4 dually going on the market soon. Any interest?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
I have a decent 98 Chevy ex-cab, 4X4 dually going on the market soon. Any interest?
Sorry lion - been off for a day! Sounds like a nice truck but I don't need the duallies! Would still consider it, but we don't retire till spring of 2010...and I'm sure you will have sold it by then!

Wish I could take a run up there and look at it, but sittin' in a garage for another year and a half won't help it any! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area