U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM

9 posts, read 32,833 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I (my son and boyfriend of 10 years) are wanting to move back to Maine after a move to Nevada. We moved to Nevada with big dreams on big paying jobs, but we've realized that it is not all that is cracked up to be and want to raise our son in the same great environment that we were brought up in (we were both born and raised in Maine).

We are possibly thinking of moving back to Maine in October, which is not the best time to move in Maine in the rental market and we need time to save our security deposit. So we are considering possibly living in a hotel until March or April of 2009 so we have a better selection of rentals to choose from. However, we never lived in a hotel during the offseason, does anyone know of a decent hotel or motel that offers reasonable off season rates and has bus service to Portland? If you know of a hotel that is also pet friendly (we have a cat) it would be much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM

20,076 posts, read 23,815,631 times
Are you set on Portland, or anywhere in Maine?

I don't know of any extended stay hotels/motels, but I'm sure there are some somewhere.

I wouldn't give up too quick on finding a rental in October though. The pickings are certainly slimmer, but it isn't impossible to find something. Craigs list and the classifieds sections of local papers is generally the best method.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 PM

26 posts, read 22,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrmccar View Post
does anyone know of a decent hotel or motel that offers reasonable off season rates and has bus service to Portland? If you know of a hotel that is also pet friendly (we have a cat) it would be much appreciated.
You might want to check all the motels on Route 1 from South Portland south....especially the mom and pop motels. They usually have many rooms to rent on a seasonal basis long term.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Are you set on Portland, or anywhere in Maine?

I don't know of any extended stay hotels/motels, but I'm sure there are some somewhere.

I wouldn't give up too quick on finding a rental in October though. The pickings are certainly slimmer, but it isn't impossible to find something. Craigs list and the classifieds sections of local papers is generally the best method.

We are planning on moving to Portland again; my boyfriend and I are most comfortable there. I actually found out that the Eastland does long term rentals, but I am waiting to find out on their rates. The reason why we are trying to stay in a hotel over the winter is because we are hoping to sell most of our belongings to get back to Maine and winter should be enough time for us to accumilate some new belongings once we get back as well as save enough for a deposit on an apartment (there aren't too many landlords that won't be looking for a security deposit).

I've posted an ad on craigslist though in the housing wanted section so we'll see what I get for responses.

Thanks for the advice though

Old 08-22-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose31 View Post
You might want to check all the motels on Route 1 from South Portland south....especially the mom and pop motels. They usually have many rooms to rent on a seasonal basis long term.

I've thought about checking the hotels along route 1 in SP (at least there's a bus route there), I'll have to google hotels in South Portland and see what I can find

We stayed at a mom and pop place a long time ago over a winter season and it wasn't too bad, just trying to save some cash over the winter season to get a decent apartment in the spring.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:57 PM

26 posts, read 22,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrmccar View Post
I've thought about checking the hotels along route 1 in SP (at least there's a bus route there), I'll have to google hotels in South Portland and see what I can find

We stayed at a mom and pop place a long time ago over a winter season and it wasn't too bad, just trying to save some cash over the winter season to get a decent apartment in the spring.
The problem with that is the motels will probably be charging a premium because the cost of heating has soared in the cold country.

If you aren't going to be working, and you will have limited finances, you might find the Portland area isn't exactly the one you remember in cost of living terms.

Do some tight planning and budgeting..housing, food, and transportation, not to mention adding winter clothing, will be expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area