Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 04:27 PM

17 posts, read 114,522 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone.

My husband and I may have an opportunity to move to the Portland area (due to a possible job offer) within the next few months. We visited Portland very briefly during a recent vacation, but that is our only experience with the area.

Both my husband and I are originally from larger cities in the West and Midwest but have spent the past two years in a small town in the South. We have only managed to stay sane by frequent trips to larger cities and by keeping in touch with interesting, creative, and informed people outside our area. We are more than ready for a change of place!

If you live in or near Portland, how would you rank the restaurants, theaters, museums, etc? Do you find there are a variety of things to see and do? What types of opportunities exist to meet people and get involved in the community?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 06:15 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,240 times
Portland has the second most resurants per capita in America. In the down town area there are resturants all over the place from black tie places to walk in burrito joints. Also there is a big arts district. Many studios, Maine Museum of art and the Maine College of Art all add to the area. There are a few theaters and a semi-indie theater in town. For a small city there is alot of culture.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:20 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
There is indeed a lot of culture in greater Portland. Portland is a fine city with an awful lot going on all the time. But you need to understant that living in Maine...wherever you live...isn't a sentence to prison of cultural emptiness. While a lot of cultural activity is conentrated in the summer months when there is a huge influx of tourists, Maine doesn't close up in the winter. In each area of the state, there are all kinds of activities all year round. The University of Maine's largest campus is in Orono, which is ten miles from Bangor, and all through the winter there are many diffierent kinds of programs, including performances by the Bangor Symphony Orchestra, which is one of the oldest symphonic organizations in the country (and a truly wonderful musical instrument!). In order to take advantage of all that there is to do, it sometimes is necessary to travel some distance, and if the job is in Portland, then you will probably end up living somewhere within a 25 mile circle of the city. Likely you will be in a small town, and the opportunity to "get involved in the community" is limited only by your willingness to become a part of what is going on.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:31 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Good advice there from Acadianlion. I would also suggest you visit a few newspaper and magazine websites, such as Down East magazine (http://www.downeast.com/index.php, click on Inside Maine: Events), and peruse their calendar listings to see a sample of some of the cultural events available in Portland and around the state.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Thanks for the Responses

Thanks, Unhappycamper, Acadianlion & Coaster for replying to my post. My husband and I have been doing research online, but it is always nice to get some feedback from real people

Old 02-11-2007, 10:17 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Although I am familiar with Maine, I decided to subscribe to several magazines and newspapers to get a day to day flavour.

I just received my first issue of Down East!

You might try that and see how Maine fits your bill!

Old 02-11-2007, 10:26 AM

Thanks, On the Road. I am checking out Down East magazine and area newspaper and television sites online right now. In years past, I have subscribed to local publications before moving, but we don't have that luxury any more. When a job opportunity comes up, we usually have a fairly short period of time to research the possibility. Don't know what we'd do without the Internet!

Again, any thoughts anyone would like to share with us about the Portland area would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2007, 10:32 AM

I know what you mean!

I am heading up to New England in a few months time and will make some decisions about where I'd really, really like to live. I've lived in RI, MA (East and West) and vacationed in ME, NH and VT.

And I only have fond memories of Portland. Actually, it was a writing workshop that brought me to Portland and so my impression is the City is high on culture. The Downtown area was sparkling with lights, very busy and it didn't look like anything was missing from a city of this size--and probably has more than many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creatively View Post
Thanks, On the Road. I am checking out Down East magazine and area newspaper and television sites online right now. In years past, I have subscribed to local publications before moving, but we don't have that luxury any more. When a job opportunity comes up, we usually have a fairly short period of time to research the possibility. Don't know what we'd do without the Internet!

Again, any thoughts anyone would like to share with us about the Portland area would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Although I am familiar with Maine, I decided to subscribe to several magazines and newspapers to get a day to day flavour.

I just received my first issue of Down East!

You might try that and see how Maine fits your bill!
I'm from CT, but visit Portland very often. Portland is a very cosmopolitan city for it's size - I love it there. Add in the "visiting" population in the good weather and that adds too it.

If you feel the crave for a "big" city, Boston is a 1.5 hour drive down I95.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Thanks, JViello, I have lived in several towns/cities throughout New England--just not Maine.

And I worked in Boston--I'm not looking for a big city--I was born in NYC

However, it is always a pleasure to hear positive confirmation about a place you like yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'm from CT, but visit Portland very often. Portland is a very cosmopolitan city for it's size - I love it there. Add in the "visiting" population in the good weather and that adds too it.

If you feel the crave for a "big" city, Boston is a 1.5 hour drive down I95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area