Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,729 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm coming to Portland from Oklahoma for vacation from Christmas Day to New Year's. I was just in the mood to do something different this year and I've always wanted to visit Maine. So there I'll be.

I'm going to stay at the Portland Regency Hotel and will have a rental car the whole week. Anyone have any suggestions about things I shouldn't miss while I'm there? Or restaurants I should try? (I'm not into seafood)

I know I want to take a drive up to Bangor and to the Freeport shops, but any other ideas are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 03:38 PM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times
I'd take a ride into Bethel to see some of the Mountains and a truly beautiful Mountain Village. If you ski, spend a day at Sunday River. Even if you don't ski, there's plenty to see and do. If you make it to Bethel I'd suggest dinner at the Bethel Inn and Country Club or at the Sudbury Inn... both offer pretty good New England fare (plenty more than just seafood). If you have some time, taking snowcoach up Mt. Washington (highest peak in the Northeast at 6,288ft) just accross the border in New Hampshire (about 1.5 hours drive from Portland) is quite an experience. Make sure you do this on a clear day because from the indoor observatory on the summit (where you can get lunch and hot chocolate) you can see Canada, Vermont, New York, Portland and the Maine Coast and on a really clear day, Boston.

In Portland, I'd suggest eating at Fore St (which is about 2 tiny blocks from your hotel). It's, in my opinion, the best restaurant in Portland. The seafood is good, but since you don't like that, I'd recommend the duck. A reservation is always a good idea. If you like beer, I'd try Gritty's or Sebago Brewing, both in the Old Port area (both offer decent pub fare as well). Microbrews are Portland's thing. In town, if you like art there is the art museum as well as an African Art Museum.

As long as you bundle up, just walk around near your hotel and pop in and out of the restaurants and stores... it's a small area but there's plenty to do so enjoy!

If you want to see some beautiful coast close to Portland walk (or drive) up Munjoy Hill in Portland and walk around the Eastern Promenade (bring some Hot Chocolate, it'll be cold). Beautiful view from up there. Also, take a drive to nearby Cape Elizabeth and check out Ft. William State Park, home to the Portland Head Light. While Ft. William is more popular in the summer, but the lighthouse and views are pretty. I don't think so, but the gate MAY be closed in the winter... can anyone clarify this for me? If it is, you'd have to park on the street and walk down.

I'd also check out Camden, Belfast and possibly Acadia NP if you get that far and have time... all these places are quiet in the winter but just as beautiful as they are in the summer. Others will have some more great suggestions for you, but this should be a good start.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:45 PM

^Forgot to add the link to the Mt. Washington Snow Coach to my post and it's too late to edit, so here ya go: Mount Washington Auto Road

Old 11-24-2008, 06:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Drive out to Falmouth and head to Mackworth Island. You will enjoy the short walk around the perimeter and savor the scenery.

Have a wonderful trip!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:39 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,495 times
There is some wonderful theater going on in the Portland area. That time is generally kind of light though. Anthony's dinner theater has there second and (presumed since they are closing last) Annual Holiday Special. Anthony's is a very intimate (small) dinner theater. The staff serve and put on the show.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,729 times
Thaks for all of the suggestions so far. I'm thinking about taking a day trip down to Boston. Is Amtrak's Downeaster line pretty easy to use?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 29,507 times
Re: Things to do, I second Bethel and the trip out west to the White Mountains; also the walk around Mackworth Island which will provide an up close view of Casco Bay. Restaurants: Caiola (new american); Ribollita (italian); Street and Co. (seafood); Emilitsa (greek); Bonobo (pizza); Ri Ra (irish pub) and Susan's Fish and Chips (lobster/clam shack). LL Bean is about 20 minutes away in Freeport and worth a visit. Have a great time

Old 11-25-2008, 12:54 PM

Downeaster is easy to use but it takes a while and has frequent delays. I would look into bus service as an alternative, but the train is comfortable and somewhat scenic. I agree with all of Stevens Ave. Suggestions for restaurants but it's worth noting that Ri-Ra is a chain and as such is hardly uniquely Portland although food is fairly decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area