Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM

89 posts, read 260,879 times

Advertisements

Hello forum!

I have a question about rentals in Portland so any information whether your opinion or experience) would be extremely helpful.

Currently, in Minnesota, you can rent either a house, duplex, or apt. from either a large management company or a single landlord/owner. Some places check credit and some places do not. Generally first months rent and a security deposit (equal to 1 months rent or less) is required to move in. Is this the same in or around the Portland Area?

I have heard of some places charging first and last months rent and a security deposit (for a $1000 rent - move in cost would be $3000!).

As to credit ratings, mine is poor, however I have excellent rental history - will that be a help?

Once again thank you for you responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler85 View Post
Hello forum!

I have a question about rentals in Portland so any information whether your opinion or experience) would be extremely helpful.

Currently, in Minnesota, you can rent either a house, duplex, or apt. from either a large management company or a single landlord/owner. Some places check credit and some places do not. Generally first months rent and a security deposit (equal to 1 months rent or less) is required to move in. Is this the same in or around the Portland Area?

I have heard of some places charging first and last months rent and a security deposit (for a $1000 rent - move in cost would be $3000!).

As to credit ratings, mine is poor, however I have excellent rental history - will that be a help?

Once again thank you for you responses!
While I have never rented in the area, I have been a landlord in S. Maine. Generally a credit check is done and first, last and security (same amount as the rent) is expected. Your results may vary.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I've rented in and around Portland for a few years now and my experiences (3 different places) have been that 2 of the 3 did credit checks (up front) and all three required First Month and Security Deposit (equal to one month's rent). The one that didn't do a credit check was a little weird and likely not the normal rental situation. The landlord was clear that she, "liked out appearance" and handed us a lease on site while allowing us to pay her first/security, "when we could." Our "lease" was about 1/2 page long and it was called, "a rental agreement" she was clear it wasn't a "lease." While in hindsight, I think the lack of formality could have been dangerous for us (and probably for her as well), nothing bad happened. It was an odd situation, but the rental worked out well so I can't complain.

Like Island Mermaid said, a good number of places (probably a majority) ask for first, last AND security. I'd say expect a credit check at about 99% of the places you go to. A few of the larger rental companies (i.e. Port Property Management) offer, "promotions" that make your security deposit, "ONLY $100 with good credit" and other deals along those lines (i.e first month's rent 1/2 off). However, my experience has been that you tend to get nickle and dimed elsewhere to the point where it's not a spectacular value. For example, Port Property Management had a reasonably competitive base rent, but you have to pay cable, electric, gas, trash removal (many times this is just, "city of Portland" trash bags), AND a $15/mo surcharge for water, and some other monthly fees that made it a bit more expensive.

Just be smart. You've rented before and you should know what to look for. If you work hard enough (and it appears you've done your research), you should be able to find something you like.

A small bit of info worth noting: I don't THINK Maine has housing protection for Same-Sex discrimination. Now, the last I checked up on this was in 2006 (I did a big report on it for a civil rights class in college) so it MAY have changed, but if not, you may run into a few issues. When we looked at apartments last summer, we viewed a property as a group and one of the couples was a homosexual couple. After filling out some applications, they left before we did. The landlord made a comment to us that there was, "no need to worry about them taking a spot in this building... I'd prefer we kept it traditional here." As disgusted as we were (we obviously didn't want to live in that environment), I don't think the landlord was beyond his legal rights in that situation.

While Portland is a very progressive city and the community is VERY accepting of the GLBTG community, a lack of legal protection (again, if it hasn't changed since '06) can be an issue when it comes to housing. Some of the actual case-studies I read up on were horrifying. I doubt you'll run into any major issues but it's worth noting this can be an issue at some places. It's certainly the vast minority of places that this occurs, but I just figured it's worth letting you know.

Best of luck finding a rental! If there are any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:12 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
The first place that I moved into required first, last and security. I am assuming that paying last months rent is not normal as everybody had that you had to pay what kind of response when they found out. Paying first and last plus a security deposit is common practice in California and while it is a large chunk of money up front, in the end it works out and I like this type of set-up better than not paying last months rent up front. The two advantages of this are that (1) you already have your last months rent paid so when you move out you can get a new place and have the entire month to get your stuff out instead of moving everything in one or two days and (2) it is insurance for the landlord that the tenants don't pull the midnight express.

The place that I am in now, just first and security.

The rental situation is the same here; some property management companies, some landlords that own one or two buildings, some do credit checks and some don't.

My experience is that bad credit + good rental history is okay.

The GF and I wanted to make sure that we had a place lined up when we got into town, but we had a really hard time with that. As soon as people found out that we were still in Minneapolis they all of a sudden stopped dealing with us. A few of the apartments that we looked into remained vacant long after we finally got here. We give all relevant information needed for credit checks and even offered to send first month and a security deposit in order to secure a place. We talked to many landlords and only one was willing to take us up on our offer. I think that people thought that it was some sort of scam

Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,780 times
I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't respond to prospective renters offering to pay the first month's rent and a security deposit regardless of their current address. Seems strange and I'm curious. We're renting now for the first time in decades because we wanted to sell our house far in advance of moving from the Chicago area. We're paying $3500/mth but it's an absurdly expensive area and that's not uncommon for housing in this particular suburb (DD wanted to finish high school here). We paid first months rent plus last yet no security deposit and it's a brand new expensive home. I've e-mailed one company that specializes in rental properties in the Portland area and like you -- didn't receive a response. I think in our case it's because we're looking so early -- we won't move until this summer. But your info makes me a little concerned. I think we might want to go out in person and secure the property well before the movers are scheduled!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't respond to prospective renters offering to pay the first month's rent and a security deposit regardless of their current address. Seems strange and I'm curious. We're renting now for the first time in decades because we wanted to sell our house far in advance of moving from the Chicago area. We're paying $3500/mth but it's an absurdly expensive area and that's not uncommon for housing in this particular suburb (DD wanted to finish high school here). We paid first months rent plus last yet no security deposit and it's a brand new expensive home. I've e-mailed one company that specializes in rental properties in the Portland area and like you -- didn't receive a response. I think in our case it's because we're looking so early -- we won't move until this summer. But your info makes me a little concerned. I think we might want to go out in person and secure the property well before the movers are scheduled!
When we were looking while out of state was at the time that foreign lotteries and other email scams were in the news, so I am thinking that it was because of that.

A one year lease is common around here for rentals and most rentals require a 30 day notice, so it is impossible to know what will be available come summer time. Apartments that will be available June 1st. won't go on the market until the first week in May.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,780 times
Default Confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
A one year lease is common around here for rentals and most rentals require a 30 day notice, so it is impossible to know what will be available come summer time. Apartments that will be available June 1st. won't go on the market until the first week in May.
Thanks for the info, K-Luv. The site we're visiting most frequently (but haven't heard back from yet with any specifics) is advertising a number of rental properties (apexrentalproperties.com) that are not available until July and August -- so I'm still really confused about the "norms" in the Portland area for rental housing. I can't decide if we're looking too early or too late. I'm not looking for an apartment - we'll want a house (or maybe a townhouse) with a one year lease. I absolutely can't figure out how much to anticipate we'll need to spend -- because unlike median home prices there isn't a median price for rental homes. I've seen houses priced at what we're paying now ($3500) that don't look like very nice quite frankly, and others for thousands less that look nicer than those with higher rents. I realize it's all about location -- but that's difficult to appreciate if you don't know locals who can help you get acclimated even before you sign a lease. Quite frankly, I'm beginning to think it's much easier to buy than it is to rent. We've bought homes in corporate relocations several times and real estate agents made it relatively easy (or easier at least). We've never done a corporate relo planning to rent before. It's seeming as though it might be a bigger challenge.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:36 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
^ First, I'd say you are looking a bit too early. I know it's against human nature to wait until about 1 or 2 months before you're slated to move in to start looking for a place to live, but that's how it works for the most part.

If you're seeing available rentals for August I'm guessing it's a situation where the current tenant has already agreed that they will be leaving at the end of their current lease OR, the landlord doesn't plan on inviting them back. It could also be a place undergoing renovations and they don't plan to have it ready until mid-summer. Most likely though, rentals won't be advertised until about a month before they're slated to be available. Like K-Luv mentioned, apartments for June 1 won't be listed until May.

As far as the price of rentals and what to expect to spend and get for your money, it's tougher to help you there. In my experience, I've found that "value" varies greatly depending on the landlord or management company no matter what the location is. In Portland, you can expect to pay more for a water view (which whoever is offering it will certainly advertise), but that's about it. It doesn't vary TOO much by neighborhood within the city limits (West End and Parts of Munjoy Hill are a LITTLE pricier usually- not always-, but mostly for the water views or a super historic building). An 800 sq foot 1 bedroom in Deering will cost about as much as an equivalent apartment in most other neighborhoods.

Pay special attention to what, exactly, is included in your rent. When we were looking, Port Property Management charged about $750 for the place we were looking at which was competitive with the other properties we looked at. However, Port Property would have made us pay for heat, hot water and electric as well as cable (most anywhere will not include cable) as well as charging surcharges for garbage removal, a "sewer" fee, a "maintenance fee (grass cutting, plowing, etc) and a water usage fee. In the end, we were well over $1,000 per month when all utilities and additional fees were included... far more expensive than the other places we checked out.

The apartment we are in now is a great value. We have everything included (heat, hot water, electric, garbage removal and one parking spot as well as plowing). we looked at a similar place in a worse location with no additional parking and the property owner wanted to charge about $400 more per month than what we pay without including some utilities.

I guess what I'm getting at is that many times the rent can depend on the landlord. There are bargains to be had and many times, rent is negotiable IF you make a good impression (and have the credit and references to back it up). I've worked the price down on a few places... but don't push too hard because demand may allow them to move on to the next applicant.

The strange difference in pricing you're noticing may also have to do with what's built into the rent. Sometimes these property owners don't do the best job of explaining what rent includes or doesn't include (beyond heat/ hw/ and basic utilities) in their advertisements. This is sometimes intentional to get you to inquire personally (so they can deliver their pitch), but many times it's just poor marketing. For example, while most places will mention that they include heat or hot water or electric, they often times forget to add the little things that add up (and are built into the price). These "little things" may include (but are certainly not limited to) Garbage removal... the city of Portland ONLY picks up "city" trash bags which need to be purchased specially and cost a lot more than your regular bags (and come with far fewer bags). If a place has a dumpster, you probably don't have to pay for city of Portland bags and can save a bunch of money. Electric Hot Water Heaters... if you pay the electric bill and your hot water heater is electric, you'll notice the bill is a LOT higher than it would be if you didn't have electric hot water heaters... many places won't tell you about that unless you ask. Plowing, yard maintenance, etc... if you rent a house, this may or may not be included. If it IS included, it's surely built into the advertised rent even though it may not be mentioned. The best thing to do is ask anything that comes to your mind. There may a good reason (beyond location) that one apartment is a lot more expensive than another that appears similar.

If a property that appears to be mediocre is priced higher than one that looks better, then the reason is probably that the mediocre property includes a bunch of stuff that the nicer one doesn't. You know the old saying, "if it looks to good to be true, then it probably is," well... it applies here. If the nicer place is cheaper, you'll probably pay a LOT more for random things as the rent likely includes very little. Or, there is the slight chance that you could have found yourself an excellent deal. Just don't hesitate to ask them whatever's on your mind. We got lucky with our place now, but a few of the previous ones have been mediocre at best.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
Thanks for the info, K-Luv. The site we're visiting most frequently (but haven't heard back from yet with any specifics) is advertising a number of rental properties (apexrentalproperties.com) that are not available until July and August -- so I'm still really confused about the "norms" in the Portland area for rental housing.
I think that the problem is who you are looking at. Apex is corporate housing. It is designed for people who will be in town for an extended stay (on business, personal, etc.) who do not want to live out of a hotel room. That, along with their weekly and monthly rental 'policy' (no one year lease) is why you see apartments available for July and August.

Their apartments do seem nice, though.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:50 PM

21 posts, read 99,133 times
You should not pay $3,500 for anything in Portland unless it is some balling mansion in the West End.

If places are desperate to move you in, I've had to pay as little as $99 for a security deposit in P-Town. I would hit up Craigslist and the PPH (portland press herald) for housing rather than Apex corporate housing, unless that is what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area