Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM

300 posts, read 758,027 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I have been planning and trying to arrange a move to Maine for years(I work in the federal government), and just got the news: I will start my job on March 30th.

I know you get these posts all the time, so I apologize if it annoys you in advance. Where is a good area to rent/buy a house in the area? I am not rich, but make an OK living. I will be working at the seaport, so anywhere where my commute will be less than 30 minutes. No kids yet, but am planning for some.

I am conservative, and realize the area is somewhat liberal--which is OK--but I would prefer not to live around folks that are stridently so. A live and let live attitude is fine with me. Any information is appreciated, I thank you in advance :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:52 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Congratulations on the job and welcome to Portland!

In order for us to be more helpful, you may have to be a bit more specific.

What are you looking for in a home? 30 minutes from the downtown/ waterfront area in Portland can make almost any living environment possible (That's the great part about working in such a small city). You could rent/buy a condo or house in the center of Portland and live an environment that's as urban as it gets for Northern New England. You could find a house or condo within the city of Portland that's in a real suburban area (the housing stock will be older, but many are VERY nice older homes), you can move outside the city (or to the areas within Portland along the border of Westbrook or Falmouth) and find suburban living with newer housing stock (post 1985) and be well within your 30 minute commute range OR you could move 15-20+ minutes from downtown and be in a rural, wooded setting that is seemingly away from it all (though it's still within 30 minutes of downtown and amenities).

Also, what's your price range? The Portland area is more expensive than the vast majority of the rest of the state, but by Northeastern U.S. standards, housing costs are relatively affordable. If you provide a general range or maximum amount, we may be able to specify certain areas.

Anyway, you'll probably find that the most liberal areas of Portland are around the center of the city. Many of the more family oriented neighborhoods have a more moderate vibe. While Portland is certainly progressive, it's not ultraliberal (By New England standards, anyway). You should do just fine with a conservative P.O.V., especially in the more rural and suburban areas.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:18 PM

I would like to keep my commute down, and also allow for my wife to get a job where they exist, anything on the border of Portland lets say. Suburbia would be fine for me, and I get along with anyone as long as they are nice and accepting :-)
I would like to stay under 200K, and get a newer SFH. My hope was that this would be doable with the recent housing collapse. What do you think?

Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 PM

I think that within a max price of 200k starting your search in the Deering, Oakdale, and North Deering in Portland (all very safe, mostly suburban neighborhoods within the city itself) would be a good idea. These areas would put you very close to work and you can probably find a single family home within your pricerange in these areas.

Also look in South Portland as well as Westbrook. There may be some homes in that range in nearby Scarborough and Falmouth, but probably a smaller number of them.

If these areas aren't what you're looking for, check out Buxton and Gorham. These towns are MUCH more rural (though Gorham has some suburban style develpment near center of town) and they'll be closer to a 25-30 minute commute, but you may get a little more for your money here (meaning a larger yard and maybe a larger home).

$200K is very much doable in the Portland area. I think you can do fine. Good Luck!

*Edit*

As a point of reference, you can find something like this for under $200k WITHIN the city of Portland: http://www.newenglandmoves.com/viewD...ype=&cid=27021

again, best of luck, I hope you find something that fits what you're looking for.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM

thank you very much for the information :-)

Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post
I would like to keep my commute down, and also allow for my wife to get a job where they exist, anything on the border of Portland lets say. Suburbia would be fine for me, and I get along with anyone as long as they are nice and accepting :-)
I would like to stay under 200K, and get a newer SFH. My hope was that this would be doable with the recent housing collapse. What do you think?
The area's that irfox mentioned are all pretty nice and within your price range, however, you might be hard pressed to find a 'newer' SFH around here. Portland is an old city and, the house that I live in, for example, was built in 1860 (and still has the original floor-boards). Not all of the homes around here are this old, but a good amount of them are and a house that is 40 years old would be considered 'new' in this part of the country. Condos are the only thing that comes to mind when I think of newer housing stock. I could be wrong, though.

Scarborough and Falmouth will have some newer homes (less then ten years old) but I doubt that you will find any that are at or under $200,000. At least not in Falmouth, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Yes, home prices have greatly diminished recently, but homes sold in Maine are slightly different than elsewhere in the country. A good amount of the homes sold in this state are bought by by people who can afford them (even in todays economy) and generally use them as summer homes or vacation homes. Maine is the get-away place for many rich people (actors, ceo's, etc) and a lot of Wachington DC Senators, Congressmen, etc. also own seasonal homes up here.

Basically what I am getting at is that despite Maine's economy and the current economy that our country is in at the moment don't expect to find a mansion going for half-price as you can in other parts of the country.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:59 PM

Thank you for the good advice; I've noticed that it is true that not many newer homes exist in Portland. I guess I would be happy with one that had been updated or renovated. Any one want to make a great deal on a home out there? :-)

Old 02-10-2009, 02:29 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
I'd rent first which will allow you to explore the surrounding areas to find a suitable home.

Stay out of Westbrook. The property taxes are high and going higher. The city is in debt do to poor money management.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 PM

good to know; I'll cross that one off.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I'd rent first which will allow you to explore the surrounding areas to find a suitable home.

Stay out of Westbrook. The property taxes are high and going higher. The city is in debt do to poor money management.
Good points. Taxes are a bit higher in Westbrook too which is worth taking note of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area