U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 PM

22 posts, read 57,204 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My name is Michelle and I am new to the forum. I have family in Maine and I am planning to move there in about a year. I am currently working on my Masters degree in counseling and will be graduating in december. I live in Ohio right now and I am soooooo anxious to get out of here! so I want to move as soon as I can after graduation. Also I need to move in order to work on getting licensed in the state of Maine. So I am looking for advice on if this is a good or bad idea, moving in the winter. and are there any fellow counselors out there for further advice on job hunting/licensure. I'm pretty sure I have to work under a LPCC-S.

Thanks! and I'm sure I will have future questions about moving once I get closer to the date.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 02:23 PM

189 posts, read 273,063 times
I would do everything in my power to avoid moving to or within Maine in the winter. I say this having done it several times, but only because I had no option. The weather can completely undo any plans you may make. You can also find yourself moving (as I did) in the middle of a blizzard, with movers falling down on the ice as they tried to move my furniture. I won't even go into what happened to the furniture and breakables. It can be a horrendous mess, and once you've begun it, you may have to decide to go ahead in spite of the weather, while a truck containing all you own skids around icy roads, or (possibly worse) cancel (this will cost you). There's no guarantee the following day will be any better. We've had weeks of ice and snow coming out of the sky every single day. If you value your sanity, try to move no later than October or earlier than May. You'll be glad you did.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:11 PM

176 posts, read 554,690 times
I can't think of a year we've ever had "weeks of ice and snow coming out of the sky every single day."

Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 PM

33,209 posts, read 54,470,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo129 View Post
... The weather can completely undo any plans you may make.
Why is this?

I do not understand why the weather should effect your plans.

Quote:
... We've had weeks of ice and snow coming out of the sky every single day.
Wow that sounds bad, Where are you?

Up here in Maine it has not been bad at all this winter.

This is my third winter so far, and it has been fairly mild.

I have not seen any week that was bad all week.

The few days when it has been kind of 'bad', also had periods where it was very nice.

We have not had any temp below -25 in my area.

I guess folks should avoid wherever you are though.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Why is this?

I do not understand why the weather should effect your plans.

I guess folks should avoid wherever you are though.
I think it's irresponsible (although I'm sure not intentionally so) to sugar coat issues of weather in Maine and how they affect one's life. You don't understand why the weather should affect your plans? Well, it shouldn't if you don't have any problem driving on ice-covered roads, even when there's a storm warning and people have been told to venture out only for an emergency. If YOU don't mind driving when the schools are closed for bad weather, feel free. If YOU don't mind movers carrying your belongings over ice-covered ground, falling down with every few cartons because they literally cannot stand up, feel free. If YOU don't mind having your mover cancel because he refuses to drive or walk in the existing weather conditions, feel free. If YOU don't mind your moving truck going off the icy road into a ditch, with all your belongings racketing around inside, feel free. If YOU don't mind unplowed, ice covered parking lots everywhere (yes, even the parking lots of hospitals) feel free to negotiate them and laugh merrily while you fall down and break your bones.

I could write a book on moving in Maine. I've done it more than I wanted, and in all kinds of horrendous conditions. Please don't make light of these until you too have fallen down and broken some bones (and other items) on ice. I think we should be helpful to people who are asking, in all innocence, for the truth - not for an excerpt from the Chamber of Commerce guidebook to your area, or a jokey and ironic (I hope) "it hasn't gone down below -25". Most folks (especially those from more temperate climes) don't consider -25 "no problem." Please don't tell them they won't notice any difference between minus 15 and 30 degrees. They will have never experienced such temperatures, and they'll probably believe you. I've encountered plenty of people "from away" who were shocked beyond measure by the experience of their first winter in Maine. None of them are still here. Let's give these people a break and tell them the truth so they can make an informed decision.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo129 View Post
I think it's irresponsible (although I'm sure not intentionally so) to sugar coat issues of weather in Maine and how they affect one's life.
I agree.

Quote:
... You don't understand why the weather should affect your plans? Well, it shouldn't if you don't have any problem driving on ice-covered roads, even when there's a storm warning and people have been told to venture out only for an emergency. If YOU don't mind driving when the schools are closed for bad weather, feel free. If YOU don't mind movers carrying your belongings over ice-covered ground, falling down with every few cartons because they literally cannot stand up, feel free. If YOU don't mind having your mover cancel because he refuses to drive or walk in the existing weather conditions, feel free. If YOU don't mind your moving truck going off the icy road into a ditch, with all your belongings racketing around inside, feel free. If YOU don't mind unplowed, ice covered parking lots everywhere (yes, even the parking lots of hospitals) feel free to negotiate them and laugh merrily while you fall down and break your bones.
My eyes were open when I moved to Maine.

I knew ahead of time that Maine has a higher latitude than does Ct.

I also knew that it would likely be warmer than Scotland and other areas where I have lived.

If you tried to live in Maine expecting a tropic climate, than you would be unprepared and foolish.

Your statements make it sound like living in the Arctic.

I have been to the Arctic, Maine is much nicer

Get a grip on yourself.

Winter is not the end of the world.

If you live in an area where the roads do ice up [which includes Maine] then obviously you should learn to drive on ice. These are life skills.

If you decided to live in Italy, then likely you would need to learn to speak and read Italian. A life skill to acclimatize your self to that area. Well the same holds true in Maine. You can not act like living in Maine is equal to living on Florida. [Maine is much nicer] But it is not the end of the world either.

Ice does not stop life from functioning.

Many Mainers go outside and actively enjoy Maine the greatest during the winter.

Quote:
I could write a book on moving in Maine. I've done it more than I wanted, and in all kinds of horrendous conditions. Please don't make light of these until you too have fallen down and broken some bones (and other items) on ice. I think we should be helpful to people who are asking, in all innocence, for the truth - not for an excerpt from the Chamber of Commerce guidebook to your area, or a jokey and ironic (I hope) "it hasn't gone down below -25". Most folks (especially those from more temperate climes) don't consider -25 "no problem." Please don't tell them they won't notice any difference between minus 15 and 30 degrees. They will have never experienced such temperatures, and they'll probably believe you. I've encountered plenty of people "from away" who were shocked beyond measure by the experience of their first winter in Maine. None of them are still here. Let's give these people a break and tell them the truth so they can make an informed decision.
sigh

I know "the sky is falling! the sky is falling!"

"We are all going to die!"

sigh

Have a nice life.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I agree.

My eyes were open when I moved to Maine.

If you tried to live in Maine expecting a tropic climate, than you would be unprepared and foolish.

I know "the sky is falling! the sky is falling!"

"We are all going to die!"

sigh

It doesn't help your argument (if you are, in fact, making one) to exaggerate and misrepresent what I said. I never said anyone (myself included) expected a tropical climate in Maine. I never claimed the sky was falling or that we were all about to die.

I don't know how I could be clearer, but I'll try. What I did say was that many people on this forum (and elsewhere) downplay Maine winters when speaking to people from away who are considering living here. This does a great disservice to people who have never lived in a place as cold as Maine, and who are encouraged to believe that the winter here will be pretty indistinguishable from a winter in Delaware or Maryland or New Jersey. And then, when they believe this fabrication, we castigate them for not having done their research. Part of their research was to ask people who actually live here, in the belief they'd be honest. You may be used to living in a cold climate (as I am) but others are not. Even plow trucks sometimes cannot stay on the icy road, and it's dangerous no matter how accomplished you are at driving in the ice. I'm always surprised at how surprised people are when they slide off the road, and they always claim they know how to drive on icy roads, even as I'm pulling them back out of the ditch.

No, it's not the Arctic, but then I never said it was. I'm merely asking that people not mislead, deliberately or with irony, those from warmer places who simply don't know any better. I've lost count of the number of people who have told me that they'd never have moved here if they'd known what a Maine winter was like. That's a very costly mistake, and one that it would be a kindness to help people avoid.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 AM

502 posts, read 1,641,377 times
I agree with angelo to a degree. There are hazards moving in the winter that simply aren't there in spring, summer or fall. Snow storms, ice, cold weather can play havoc on moving. Impossible to move in the winter - certainly not. But if I was moving, I would wait until warmer weather - perhaps april.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Okay fine.

I like Maine.

I would not let the weather stop me. The weather here is part of what living in Maine is all about. If a person wanted Florida, than they should move to Florida.

Reading previous posts here, some of them gave me the impression that winters down South in Portland were truly horrific.

Such has not been my experience.

Feel free to put sugar on anything you wish to. I can only speak from my experiences.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Okay fine.

I like Maine.

I would not let the weather stop me. The weather here is part of what living in Maine is all about. If a person wanted Florida, than they should move to Florida.
No, but the point is that some people WOULD let the weather stop them if they knew exactly what the weather was like. That being the case, I prefer to tell them. Your suggestion that anyone who doesn't like Maine weather is looking for Florida is way off base. New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia are certainly not in any way like Florida; they have winter, but a much milder one than Maine. It's people from those states, who think a Maine winter is what they're used to but just a tad chillier, who are most likely to be shocked at the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area