Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,364 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been planning on moving to and teaching in southern Maine for several years now and have my heart set on it. However, I am worried about the present economic down-turn our nation is experiencing and no industry nor profession is above job cuts and/or freezes. In fact, where I presently teach in New York City we have been informed that possibly 1,500 teachers will have to be let go unless the state provides us with funding.

Anyway, what I would truly appreciate learning about from someone in the educational field is if you've heard anything in regards to teaching positions.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,875 times
In the school system I teach in, the state funding is going to be cut by about half. That will translate into roughly 25 positions that will need to be cut. The teachers union is going to open contract negotiations and likely accept a smaller raise to help save some positions. I am fine with this concept, but believe all city employees should take cuts, not just the teachers.

Not sure about other locales, but in maine last hired teacher is first fired. We have a young lady in our department who is the best teacher I have seen, yet will lose her job and we have to keep a couple other people that are iffy at best.

With that said, there are subject areas that will always be in demand and finding a position should be relatively easy - math, science, foreign language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area