U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:11 PM

7 posts, read 29,494 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Portland, Maine from Searcy, Arkansas. I came to Searcy about two years ago to take up a faculty position at Harding University. I had lived in Atlanta for the previous ten years. This will be the first time I will be moving to Maine and surrounding area.

My job is pretty set, but I want to have an idea of the living conditions in Portland and surrounding areas.

I also want to find out if it is not too difficult to find a job for my wife. She works in Pension Homes, Extended Stay Facilities such as Nursing Homes and as Nurse Aide or Home Health Aide.

Kwame
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 03:07 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,982,419 times
Welcome to the Portland forum, Kwame. Portland is a very livable city with the coast and the mountains just an hour apart.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:55 PM

46,246 posts, read 21,019,304 times
Welcome Kwame.......I live in a town about 30 mins drive from Portland. I moved here a year ago from California......but I was originally from New England....so Maine was like a home coming for me.
I love it here.....but don't know what to tell you because I dont know what your questions might be. Feel free to ask specific questions and we might then be more helpful. Will you be working at a local University?

I dont know about your wife's employment prospects but it is my understanding that health care is one of the areas where employment possibilities are better.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM

866 posts, read 2,199,992 times
I lived outside of Atlanta (Lilburn) for a little bit. Portland is completely different from that neck of the woods. I am a dyed in the wool New Englander. If you consider yourself more of a southerner, then things may take a little time to adjust too.

My observations of differences between the South and here.

Most tea comes with lemon, and it isn't sweet tea.
Winter. It's long, cold, and when you think it's over, it snows again.
People are less friendly. People like their space more up here.
The insects are smaller in Portland, and they don't drop out of the sky like dead brown bombs when it gets cold.
The ocean is cold too.
People seem to be more educated here.
They both are humid, Portland just not as much.
We have accents, but so do you.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Thank you guys for your responses. dubthang, how different is the living conditons between Atlanta and Portland?I am coming to teach in the new College of Pharmacy in the University of New England.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:16 PM

866 posts, read 2,199,992 times
Atlanta and Portland are similar in that you can walk around all night, and feel fairly safe. Portland seems a little dirtier to me, but I think that is because we see sand and snow for half the year. I love Portland. I don't love Atlanta. Portland is much smaller. Portland is a coastal town that is covered in snow/muck in the winter, and covered with tourists in the summer. I can walk to anything on the penisula from my apartment. The traffic isn't nearly as crazy here as it was done there. The diversity is different here too. Altantla seemed very white, latin, black to me. Here there are people from all corners of the earth. Makes things a lot more interesting.

As far as housing, places here are pricey for what you get. There are plenty of deals though. Most of the intown apartments are older buildings with funky setups due to being turned into apartments. You need to consider winter heating too. Some paces heat with oil, some with gas, and some with electric. It all ends up being expensive. You won't need a/c in the summer, but many people have it (I didn't use a/c when I lived in Georgia.) Winter time also brings parking bans for snow plowing/removal. It you don't have a place with a parking spot, you'll have to find a city zoned area to park, and then walk back home.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM

Thanks to you all

Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 PM

8,350 posts, read 24,400,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwame Yeboah View Post
Thank you guys for your responses. dubthang, how different is the living conditons between Atlanta and Portland?I am coming to teach in the new College of Pharmacy in the University of New England.
Would you be teaching in Portland or Biddeford? The UNE campus in Biddeford houses the Arts and Sciences, and while the main UNE campus in Biddeford is a short and relatively easy commute from Portland, you might be better served if you lived in...Saco. Or South Portland. Or Biddeford, if you like.

As for your wife, I am not sure. The nursing programs at UNE, USM, and SMCC are pretty popular. In fact, I do believe that nursing is the #1 program at UNE. So, I would imagine that there is a lot of competition for related employment.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:54 AM

46,246 posts, read 21,019,304 times
There are several large nursing homes and community care facilities in Biddeford and vacinity.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Thank you very much. I will search for their addresses and start a job search. My biggest problem is how to keep her at home doing nothing. She is so used to working she will want to continue or will be leaving within six months. We are actually relocating because she does not like the working conditions in Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area