Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 AM

40 posts, read 109,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Elston and irfox are giving you good info, but one thing that neither has mentioned is that Portland shines a weary eye on newcomers seeking employment. Portland has a relatively large transitional population (people from smaller towns around the state move to Portland to get a better paying job and then use it as a spring board to move on to another state or incoming people use Portland as the testing grounds to see if they like Maine or not). Be prepared to hear, "How long do you expect to live here?" type of questions. A lot. One thing, though, is that tourist season is almost upon us and if you can get here by the end of May, start of June, you could probably land a seasonal job rather easily.
I actually did manage to stumble onto some information like that- quite by accident. Thanks though, for making sure to mention it. I wasn't sure if that was an isolated incident or if it was a general attitude. It was something about people who go there for tech jobs- and the way that people in Maine refer to outsiders. To be honest, it made me a little apprehensive.

I am hoping to definitely be there by the end of May and early June at the latest. A seasonal job would be perfect to start off. I am definitely planning on staying in Maine. It actually sounds so very perfect for what I'd like in a city/town. It's good to know though to expect those questions so I can be ready for them. As I've said, my intention is to stay in Maine (I don't have the income or desire to move around regularly). Moving from Alaska is -huge- and moving to the very opposite coast is not something I'd take lightly.

Are there any other attitudes that I should be aware of being a 'transplant' so to speak? Is there any one thing I can say or do that will let people see that I'm very serious about this? That it is my hope and intention to become a Mainer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 01:40 AM

300 posts, read 758,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakurin View Post
Thank you very much. Actually, that's very encouraging. As I've said, I'm willing to work just about anything right now. In this economy one can't afford to be picky. If there is a job available I will work it. I've worked miserable jobs before. Sometimes you just have to buckle down and do it. Waitressing, bartending, and anything in between and on the edges I am willing to do. I will also have someone coming along with me willing to do the same.

As I've said, I'm not trying to land the best job in the world. That can wait a few years, and I'm pretty sure that it will have to. The sad truth is that I don't have any better shot of landing a great job here than I do there, so. Thank you about the story about your son and his wife. It makes the entire prospect a little less scary, though by no means should anyone think I don't find the entire situation terrifying. Im too much of a realist to think it will be easy.
Here is my 2 cents: Look at getting a federal job (like me :-), we are always hiring, and if you are willing to start out low, there is always room for improvement . Also, the benefits are good, and you can use your education to make future promotions a little easier.

I am leaving for my move to Portland in 7 days; though I have a job my wife will be in the same boat as you. I have always wanted to live in Maine, even though I have only visited once, and now it is happening. I would suggest that you not give up your dream to do so if that is what you want--It took 3 years and changing agencies for me to make it happen :-)

Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post
Here is my 2 cents: Look at getting a federal job (like me :-), we are always hiring, and if you are willing to start out low, there is always room for improvement . Also, the benefits are good, and you can use your education to make future promotions a little easier.

I am leaving for my move to Portland in 7 days; though I have a job my wife will be in the same boat as you. I have always wanted to live in Maine, even though I have only visited once, and now it is happening. I would suggest that you not give up your dream to do so if that is what you want--It took 3 years and changing agencies for me to make it happen :-)
Hi! Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought of some federal jobs but haven't been quite sure where to look. Is usajobs.gov a good starting point? I've looked through there but I don't know what the process is like with government jobs. Can they do phone interviews or is it pretty much face to face? It would be fantastic to have a job lined up but I'm not holding my breath.

I am definitely willing to start low and move up, no matter how much time it takes. A job with benefits would be like a dream come true! Thank you for the encouragement, I'll definitely start looking through those jobs once more. If you have any other tips, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Hi! Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought of some federal jobs but haven't been quite sure where to look. Is usajobs.gov a good starting point? I've looked through there but I don't know what the process is like with government jobs. Can they do phone interviews or is it pretty much face to face? It would be fantastic to have a job lined up but I'm not holding my breath.

I am definitely willing to start low and move up, no matter how much time it takes. A job with benefits would be like a dream come true! Thank you for the encouragement, I'll definitely start looking through those jobs once more. If you have any other tips, I'd be more than happy to hear them.
In your situation I would go to USA jobs first, then do a search for all federal jobs in Maine. Using their resume builder, make a basic resume that stresses you are trying anything for a career. Then apply for EVERYTHING that is there and you are remotely qualified for. There should be many jobs, and it will take a while, but someone will call you eventually. Make sure you follow all application instructions for each job, you will find the application process is easier once you get all your materials saved from each application. I would anticipate you applying for a good amount of jobs within a few months.

Also, if you are under 40 I think Border Patrol is hiring for the Northern Border now, and their process is very fast. The only problem is that you will have to work for the first 10 months after the academy on the Southern border to get trained.

If that doesn't interest you there are many many options out there, including at military bases, etc. (Also should be on USAjobs). You will definitely get hired somewhere eventually, just make sure you apply for everything that remotely interests you, it sounds like you are open to many different jobs. Good luck and keep me posted :-)

Old 03-14-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
In your situation I would go to USA jobs first, then do a search for all federal jobs in Maine. Using their resume builder, make a basic resume that stresses you are trying anything for a career. Then apply for EVERYTHING that is there and you are remotely qualified for. There should be many jobs, and it will take a while, but someone will call you eventually. Make sure you follow all application instructions for each job, you will find the application process is easier once you get all your materials saved from each application. I would anticipate you applying for a good amount of jobs within a few months.

Also, if you are under 40 I think Border Patrol is hiring for the Northern Border now, and their process is very fast. The only problem is that you will have to work for the first 10 months after the academy on the Southern border to get trained.

If that doesn't interest you there are many many options out there, including at military bases, etc. (Also should be on USAjobs). You will definitely get hired somewhere eventually, just make sure you apply for everything that remotely interests you, it sounds like you are open to many different jobs. Good luck and keep me posted :-)
I will get started on those options ASAP! Thank you! I wasn't sure if I only had some of the qualifications if I should bother to apply but I will now. I guess you never know until you try. I hadn't known that Maine had a separate site for their federal jobs (I don't know why I hadn't thought of that) but now I know and have bookmarked the page. I'll get on that as soon as I've looked over usajobs.gov and get this independent project I'm working on for the U done.

I will keep you updated and hopefully soon the both of us will have some good news! Thanks again and good luck with your move!

Old 03-14-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
I will get started on those options ASAP! Thank you! I wasn't sure if I only had some of the qualifications if I should bother to apply but I will now. I guess you never know until you try. I hadn't known that Maine had a separate site for their federal jobs (I don't know why I hadn't thought of that) but now I know and have bookmarked the page. I'll get on that as soon as I've looked over usajobs.gov and get this independent project I'm working on for the U done.

I will keep you updated and hopefully soon the both of us will have some good news! Thanks again and good luck with your move!
You're welcome. One more thing: You will want to apply for GS-05 or Gs-07 jobs. The fact that you have a degree will obviate the need to have specific experience for the job you are applying for when they are low-level jobs.

A good example is the following vacancy; this vacancy starts at a GS-05 level and will take you with no experience because of your degree. This is just one of 687 openings in Maine when I did a search by just clicking on ME under the location tab.

USAJOBS (http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=79864035&AVSDM=2009-03-13+14%3A51%3A02&Logo=0&vw=b&pg=1&lid=461&FedEmp=N& sort=rv&brd=3876&ss=0&FedPub=Y - broken link)

Keep me posted, and apply for everything :-)

Old 03-14-2009, 05:49 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Just thought I'd mention there are "very FEW" military bases left here, if that is what Diablogun is suggesting for work. Also mentioned was "marketing" which is just a fancy name for "promotion and sales".

A suggestion about your living expenses would be to have a room mate - always cheaper to split expenses if you can find a suitable one. I'm sure you already have thought about that. Also that person could be a good resource to things you need to know and meeting others. Many seasonal summer jobs provide living quarters to those that will commit to staying the whole season, usually until mid-Octobter.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
You're welcome. One more thing: You will want to apply for GS-05 or Gs-07 jobs. The fact that you have a degree will obviate the need to have specific experience for the job you are applying for when they are low-level jobs.

A good example is the following vacancy; this vacancy starts at a GS-05 level and will take you with no experience because of your degree. This is just one of 687 openings in Maine when I did a search by just clicking on ME under the location tab.

USAJOBS (http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=79864035&AVSDM=2009-03-13+14%3A51%3A02&Logo=0&vw=b&pg=1&lid=461&FedEmp=N& sort=rv&brd=3876&ss=0&FedPub=Y - broken link)

Keep me posted, and apply for everything :-)
I never had any idea what the GS-05/GS-07 meant but that will be invaluable in searching for a job! I've always wanted a government job... The link that you posted to me sounds really interesting and though I want to live in Portland I will definitely have to look into it.

I've started to look through the federal jobs in Maine and am finding all of this encouraging! I know that you mentioned stressing in resumes that I should mention being open or flexible to a variety of jobs to keep my options open. I'm in a Professional Development class right now (which is basically a fancy name for a class that teaches you to develop a portfolio) but they haven't mentioned how to do that in resumes. And I shouldn't clutter up this thread with that. Thanks again, though.

As soon as I get this project done I am going to begin applying for everything. Unfortunately I need to get this done so I can get the last degree and get the heck out of school. I'm so grateful to everyone here! I've tried to give you more respect points but it won't let me...

Old 03-14-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Just thought I'd mention there are "very FEW" military bases left here, if that is what Diablogun is suggesting for work. Also mentioned was "marketing" which is just a fancy name for "promotion and sales".

A suggestion about your living expenses would be to have a room mate - always cheaper to split expenses if you can find a suitable one. I'm sure you already have thought about that. Also that person could be a good resource to things you need to know and meeting others. Many seasonal summer jobs provide living quarters to those that will commit to staying the whole season, usually until mid-Octobter.
That is definitely good to know. I know that there are some places in Portland (I've seen some apartments, anyway) that rent weekly. Would a good option be to find a place like that for a bit and -try- to land one of the jobs that supply living quarters? At least to save a bit of money I think that would be a fantastic idea.

I shall have someone coming down with me but they're pretty much in the same situation that I am. I intend to try to be far more outgoing than I have been in the past to meet some people. If everyone is as warm and helpful as everyone has been here than I remain hopeful!

Thanks for the heads up on the military bases- it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post

That is true, though I did see openings in Kittery. It's kind of a shame the bases couldn't remain open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area