Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM

106 posts, read 421,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm Busted!

In all seriousness though, I'm sorry. I can't imagine what it was like to have a car stolen. I hope you got it back. Which town were they from (do you remember)? I knew some kids who had an operation in Fall River of stealing cars and creating new V.I.Ns and turning them around and selling them for major profit. I never understood how kids who were 20 and younger and unemployed could get away with having brand new luxury SUVs (seriously, we're talking Mercedes and BMW SUVs) and no way to account for income. The were constantly investigated, but never arrested.
Honestly, it wasn't that bad. My mothers house was broken into when I was in college. That really got under my skin. But having my car stolen was more of a hassle than anything.

The guy who stole it was caught. I am pretty sure he was from New Bedford. The best part of the story is how he got knabbed. According to the police, the kid was involved in a James Bond-esque car chase. Apparently he played a game of chicken with a squad car, dragged a cop as the cop punched out a window, ran like 2 or 3 red lights and got actually got away at first. There is was article in the local paper down there. I will try to post it later.

Even though it makes for a good story, the guy getting caught was the worst part. It wound up costing me more out of pocket that way. I would say it cost me a little over $ 1,000.00 all said and done.

P.S.- I was also able to find the kids myspace page. The Scare Face themed layout is another highlight of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 PM

106 posts, read 421,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royale75 View Post
oceanfit185, I saw your post in an Iowa thread. I too am moving there.
Cool, I think that was from 2 years ago, My wife and I went there to check the place out. We liked it, but we are still in Portland now. Hopefully you will enjoy it.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 20,346 times
I lived in Portland for 30 years, raised a child here and for the best schools and a family environment away from the crime and trouble, I would choose either the Deering area near Stevens Ave or the outer Washington Ave near the Lyseth Elementary School. If you can not afford either of those areas, the outer Forest Ave near Riverton Elementary Schools have more affordable homes but stay away from living within 3 blocks from the Forest Ave/Riverton Intersection. Also be aware that on the left hand side of Forest Ave near Riverton Elementary School tends to be very wet at the end of the housing development there (the area at the end of Lane Ave.)

Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 20,346 times
Also be aware that any area in Portland where you have to park your car will be a problem to both find parking and you have to move it to one of the designated areas when they call a no parking due to snowfall. Any place near the downtown area (West side, Peninsula/East End, Bayside, Old Port will have a lot of crime and night time trouble from gang wannabes. It is not unusual to be hit over the head and robbed or to have your car vandalized.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 AM

11 posts, read 29,372 times
Smile Deering - Stevens Ave.

We purchased a house on Stevens Ave. near Forest Ave. and strongly agree that this Deering neighborhood, variously referred to as some combination of Deering Center, Morrill's Corner, Rosemont, is a great place to live in Portland. The prices are very reasonable with most homes under $250K and with the many schools up and down Stevens Ave. providing the neighborhood with a decidedly youthful appearance. All this and less than 3 miles from the Old Port.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM

879 posts, read 2,330,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvans View Post
Any place near the downtown area (West side, Peninsula/East End, Bayside, Old Port will have a lot of crime and night time trouble from gang wannabes. It is not unusual to be hit over the head and robbed or to have your car vandalized.
Wait, what? This is not true at all. Out of the three areas you mentioned, Bayside can be rough, but it is not terrible. Bayside has a lot of homeless people due to the Preble St. Resource Center being located there, but I have yet to hear about any repeated muggings in any area of the city.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:54 PM

191 posts, read 500,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Wait, what? This is not true at all. Out of the three areas you mentioned, Bayside can be rough, but it is not terrible. Bayside has a lot of homeless people due to the Preble St. Resource Center being located there, but I have yet to hear about any repeated muggings in any area of the city.

Um ya, i'm not sure what Fvans is talking about. Crime in general is very very very low here. I would however, stay away from all the bayside neighborhoods - especially hanover st. There are few areas to avoid, St johns st, Grant st, and cumberland ave between franklin and washington. Other than that, I'd look just about anywhere. All the Deering neighborhoods are very nice and vary in proximity to downtown.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 PM

879 posts, read 2,330,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind View Post
Um ya, i'm not sure what Fvans is talking about. Crime in general is very very very low here. I would however, stay away from all the bayside neighborhoods - especially hanover st. There are few areas to avoid, St johns st, Grant st, and cumberland ave between franklin and washington. Other than that, I'd look just about anywhere. All the Deering neighborhoods are very nice and vary in proximity to downtown.
I wouldn't even condemn these entire streets. St. John is decent on the northern side of the Congress split, Grant is decent near High St. (Public Services is in the process of putting in new brick sidewalks on Grant,) Cumberland is getting better, and Hanover at least has the Public Services buildings there to keep things somewhat safer. There are a ton of less desirable people in and around the Hanover/Preble Street area due to the Preble Street Resource Center.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 PM

12,581 posts, read 21,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I wouldn't even condemn these entire streets. St. John is decent on the northern side of the Congress split, Grant is decent near High St. (Public Services is in the process of putting in new brick sidewalks on Grant,) Cumberland is getting better, and Hanover at least has the Public Services buildings there to keep things somewhat safer. There are a ton of less desirable people in and around the Hanover/Preble Street area due to the Preble Street Resource Center.
Ditto.

St. John is better North of the intersection with Congress because it's residential! As you head from that intersection towards Commercial/ the Fore River it's mostly industrial with the exception of the commercial at Station Plaza so there are very few residences and it gives the sense of being eerily deserted after 5pm on a weekday. The rest of it, while not the prettiest area, it's hardly terrible.

I know VERY little of Grant St. but take dubthang's word on it. Cumberland doesn't strike me as a pretty area as well (particularly the stretch mentioned on this page), but I'd hardly call it dangerous. I've walked that area MANY times late at night (and... err... not in tip/top shape) and never had any issues. Again, it's not gorgeous and there are some interesting characters that tend to frequent the area, but it's not bad. Can you do better in Portland? Absolutely. But if your price range limits you to these areas, don't be scared away.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
Can someone tell me if Massachusets Ave is a bad area? I was looking to rent a pretty good house there but if it is not a good area please tell me. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area