Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:59 PM

11 posts, read 16,723 times

Advertisements

...from No. Calif. I will be renting and I rent now. I would like not to pay for two places for longer than necessary. Not having had to do this before, I suppose I come to Portland a month (or two) before I'm scheduled to move (dates as yet undetermined) - stay a couple of weeks during which I check out leads gathered and calls made prior to arrival (and continue to scan Craigslist while there) and very hopefully nail down something suitable before I leave. I want to have a place in which to move when the movers arrive!

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this strategy. Perhaps some of you out there have tackled it differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 04:38 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,202,818 times
Hi MBF and welcome. You could try some of the "extended stay" hotels in the Portland area, particularly if it's off season when their rates are lower.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:18 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I have a book on Portland that lists several extended stay accommodations. I'm sure it's the way to go - during off season, as you say.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:08 PM

37,274 posts, read 61,034,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBoundFemme
...from No. Calif.
Neat!

I have dear friends who live in Lake county, and I lived there for about 2 years while attending college in Ukiah.

Where in Northern California are you?

Quote:
... I will be renting and I rent now. I would like not to pay for two places for longer than necessary. Not having had to do this before, I suppose I come to Portland a month (or two) before I'm scheduled to move (dates as yet undetermined) - stay a couple of weeks during which I check out leads gathered and calls made prior to arrival (and continue to scan Craigslist while there) and very hopefully nail down something suitable before I leave. I want to have a place in which to move when the movers arrive!

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this strategy. Perhaps some of you out there have tackled it differently.
You really do need to come out here, in some manner, before you decide what region of Maine you wish to plant roots.

Maine has many regions and each is different from the rest.

I know it sounds horrible to rent 2 places at the same time.

Whatever you do, I advise that you avoid making any long-term commitments until after you have been here and traveled around a bit.

I hope that you have a job lined up.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:00 AM

I do appreciate your input FB.

I live in Petaluma (Sonoma County), north of San Francisco and Marin Counties. I know that I want to live in Portland, close to my eldest son and his young family (they're in Windham). I'll be leaving full-time employment for good when I move out and will, most likely off and on, be semi-retired. I've visited the area a number of times. (I was even in Hodgdon one Christmas.)

I've, since I started this thread, seen a couple of other posts elsewhere on city-data responding to someone in a situation similar to mine. I think my strategy is probably about right. (I'm still getting the hang of this site.)

Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 PM

31 posts, read 55,401 times
I grew up in Portland and lived in other states for many years. Have recently returned and even though it has changed some, it is still a great city. Good choice.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,170,413 times
I am from Sacramento and now live in Portland by way of Minneapolis. My advice with finding a rental in Portland would be to do the extended stay, and then conduct your search for a rental while you are here. It does not hurt to look from abroad by any means, but my experience with this situation is that what you are looking at often times turns out to be something that you do not want. There is a good amount of available rental property around town and you will not have a problem finding a place.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermist37 View Post
I grew up in Portland and lived in other states for many years. Have recently returned and even though it has changed some, it is still a great city. Good choice.
It's good to hear another affirmation of my choice - thank you, Silvermist.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am from Sacramento and now live in Portland by way of Minneapolis. My advice with finding a rental in Portland would be to do the extended stay, and then conduct your search for a rental while you are here. It does not hurt to look from abroad by any means, but my experience with this situation is that what you are looking at often times turns out to be something that you do not want. There is a good amount of available rental property around town and you will not have a problem finding a place.
I know you are right - in-person searches are best. My computer searching in California will be just for lining up possibilities to investigate when I get to Portland. And I will continue to look for new leads while there. It will be over 14 years since I was last looking for a place to live, so I especially appreciate your encouragement, K-Luv.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 21,200 times
You could try the Homewood Suites in Scarborough for short, extended stays. Scarborough is not far from Portland, and the highway is right there.

Are you thinking of something more permanent in the future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area