Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 PM

176 posts, read 510,473 times

Advertisements

I recieved a typed letter saying I have 7 days to evict my apt its not from the court it was just typed and was put on my door. Is that legal? Also what happens after the 7 days? My landlord has broken alot of the renters laws and were in the middle of a lawsuit against him. Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 05:01 AM

162 posts, read 400,191 times
Take a look at this info from Pine Tree Legal Assistance and give them a call.

Rights of Tenants in Maine: Introduction

Old 06-20-2009, 12:09 PM

27 posts, read 84,533 times
7 days is legal if he has cause and states it in the notice, such as heavy damage to building by you, the tenant.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Thank you I'll give them a call on Monday.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:19 PM

No there was no damage at all. I refused to pay my rent because of unfit living conditions that I told him aout a year ago and when he came to fix the mold he only put a bord over it so im not paying. He cant force me to move in 7 days after the 7 days he has to get a summons wich gives me 30 days then go to court.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:55 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
You'll be moving one way or the other soon. Save the trouble and embarrassment of having the Sheriff escourt you from the building you are curently not paying rent for and just move out.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Theres a legal process that a landlord has to go threw. Hes a slumlord hes been sued multiple times for being a slumlord I did'nt know this before I moved in or I would'nt have. I've given him every oppertunity to right his wrongs but all he does is do more damage. This man has walked into my house with no notice before hand and there was'nt an emergency he does'nt fix anything and when I did file my suit against him he came and acted like he was fixing things but he just looked at the things. I have a notebook full of things hes done wrong. I refuse to pay a man that isnt abiding by the law. Not to mention theres an injunction in the suit saying he CANT evict me until its over I dont think you understand this maineah. Hes trying to intimidate me and thinks I dont know the law.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy_bogue View Post
Theres a legal process that a landlord has to go threw. Hes a slumlord hes been sued multiple times for being a slumlord I did'nt know this before I moved in or I would'nt have. I've given him every oppertunity to right his wrongs but all he does is do more damage. This man has walked into my house with no notice before hand and there was'nt an emergency he does'nt fix anything and when I did file my suit against him he came and acted like he was fixing things but he just looked at the things. I have a notebook full of things hes done wrong. I refuse to pay a man that isnt abiding by the law. Not to mention theres an injunction in the suit saying he CANT evict me until its over I dont think you understand this maineah. Hes trying to intimidate me and thinks I dont know the law.
I understand perfectly well and have been a landlord with non paying tennents in the past. You will move out as you do not own the building. Whether you recover anything will most likely be up to a court if you can afford to go to court. You will have a very tough time winning a case as you stopped paying the rent. You are not allowed to hold back rent. You forfeit your rights as a tennant when you do so willingly despite the landlord's attitude. You can fight this until the cows come home though in the end you will be moving and will have a tarnished rental record your next landlord will use against you to reject your application when you want to rent again. Here's a hint: If the landlord has a record of being a "slumlord" as you put it you are not the first, nor will you be the last to complain about him. The mere fact that he is still renting units will tell you that no one has been successful at driving him out of business yet, he is still a landlord. You stood a chance of recovering some rent if you had paid him all along while pursuing your grievances. You stopped paying and this is when you lost your case. Reality is cold but there it is.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,994,714 times
I wouldnt recommend staying in a building that you consider to be a health hazard and unfit for habitation....proving a point isnt worth the loss of self esteme and your health risks. When you find yourself in such a situation....to cling on is self defeating.....its like staying in a destructive marriage because of not wanting to give him/her the satisfaction of a divorce.

Whether or not you could win your case.......I would recommend that you move on.

(In some states....it would strengthen your case if you set up an escrow account and banked the unpaid rent, so it could be used to make the necessary repairs if so ordered by a court: I dont know Maine law and am not a renter.)

Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy_bogue View Post
No there was no damage at all. I refused to pay my rent because of unfit living conditions that I told him aout a year ago and when he came to fix the mold he only put a bord over it so im not paying. He cant force me to move in 7 days after the 7 days he has to get a summons wich gives me 30 days then go to court.

Sounds to me like you just want to stay there for free! If I was in an apartment that I thought was "UNFIT" I would just leave.. There are plenty of apartments available that are FIT for living.

These laws were intended to protect people but often is the case they are abused and used to empower people to take advantage of a situation or a person.

Typical entitlment attitutde... he owes ME, the law will protect ME, the law says I dont have to LEAVE...

You live in a free country.. pack up and MOVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area