Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 06:42 AM

642 posts, read 1,247,321 times

Advertisements

A brief search of this forum didn't help with my question so here it is. We live in Ellsworth and want to get tickets for a concert at the TD Center in Boston in January. We'd ike to take the train from Portland. Does anyone have experience? The TD Center is huge, can you clear out and make the 11:20 train back to Portland? Any info, tips, experiences are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,794,331 times
We took the Downeaster once for a CSN&Y concert at the then Fleet Center. The train station in Boston is in the TD Center so it's pretty convenient. It takes 3 hours and despite the promotions goes along the coast for only a few miles.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:07 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,749,471 times
Ok, There is a long and short answer to this.

Short answer- Yes, you can do that. It MAY require leaving your seats a bit early (depending on the show it may still be going at 11:20), but you can do it. North Station is LITERALLY directly beneath the TD Garden. You don't have to step outside, just literally head downstairs to the platform. I'd say leave your seats at least 15 minutes before the train leaves if the show is still going on. In fact, I'd leave your seats at 11 regardless. 20 minutes will be pushing it if there is a large crowd all exiting at once. This means you MAY miss some of the show (again, don't know who you're going to see, so they may be over as early as 10:15).

But there's a big catch and that's the long answer. We don't know if there will BE a Downeaster in January. The state had a subsidy for the service that will be depleted and not renewed by the end of this month (September). The state was supposed to have designated funding for the service (some $8+ Million annually) by July 31st of 2009. Not only did they not dedicate any money to the service, they were still scrambling to make up deficits elsewhere. Now, they have made baby steps in trying to fund it (I believe 50% of the new rental car tax will go towards the Downeaster), but as of me typing this, the money isn't there to keep the train operational beyond September of this year. Come October 1 (as it stands right now), rail service from Maine to Boston will be no more unless something VERY big happens.

There are rays of hope, though. While the state was denied $30 million of Federal Rail Stimulus money (due to the fact the Downeaster didn't meet speed and efficiency requierments), there is still a push to obtain that money and there are whisperings that the Federal Government may loosen some of their requirements so that the Downeaster may be eligible for that money. I'm surprised it hasn't been highly publicized on TV or the local newspapers, because I really had to dig deep to get this info. It seems that maybe no one knows for sure what's going on. However, keep your eye on the news because this month is the big month that will determine whether or not train service will be continued.

Anyway, my last point was going to be to suggest that you just drive all the way to the TD Garden regardless of the train or not. There are a number of reasons this is the best choice. 1) The garage (at the garden) costs $25 dollars. So assuming at least one person is going with you, it's cheaper to park than take the train. 2) The garage and garden are literally right off the highway (I-93) and have what is essentially their own ramp (well marked exit sign too). It doesn't involve driving on Boston streets and you can quickly jump right back on the highway and head home. It's easy even for someone who has never driven in Boston. Since you're heading inbound early (afternoon traffic heads outbound so coming IN to the city anywhere after 10am is a breeze) and leaving the city late, traffic won't be even a slight problem for you 3) Driving gives you a LOT more flexibility. You won't have to worry about trying to leave early enough to make a train, you can leave when you want. 4) Time. The Downeaster takes anywhere from 2.5-3 hours or more to get to Portland from Boston as it shares tracks with local commuter rail trains and freight trains which run frequently and have right of way meaning the Downeaster is almost always delayed at some point. This is a full hour or more LONGER than what it would take for you to drive the same distance (like I said, no matter the day of the week, your arrival/departure time will make you avoid traffic). If you're heading to Ellsworth (hopefully you can stay the night in Portland or even Boston), you're looking at the commute on the Downeaster making you arrive an hour at minimum (most likely more) later than what it would be if you were driving.

I know driving doesn't seem too convenient to Boston, but in the case of the Garden, it really is. You'll spend at least 2 fewer hours commuting (round trip) and have less to worry about in terms of making trains.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the concert!

Old 09-09-2009, 02:54 PM

642 posts, read 1,247,321 times
Default Thanks

Having to drive into Boston for this little family would take all the fun out of going. I'm a small town girl who drives 10 miles round trip to work in Ellsworth and DH says his city driving days are way behind him. We've taken the Downeaster into Boston many times and your info about how long it will take to vacate the TD Center is just what I was looking for. We're going down to see Eddie Izzard, the British stand up comedian and since his American gigs are limited I have a feeling the place will be packed. Show starts at 8 p.m. and I also have a feeling that it will be over by 11. We can always book a room in Boston and come back early Tuesday morning. And, we can always take the bus from Bangor, although we'd have to grab a cab from South Station.

Thanks so much for your help. We'd hate to see the train stop service from Portland to Boston.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,749,471 times
^Yeah, the train is a fun experience. I think that if you're going to see Eddie Izzard, you will easily be out of there by 11. I bet it will be a good crowd as well.

The bus from Bangor isn't a bad idea. You could even just walk from South Station to the TD Garden as it's direct and easy. You just follow the Greenway (the interconnected string of parks along Surface Road) which will literally take you door-to-door in about 15 minutes. Granted, it IS going to be January so that's not going to be a fun walk, but maybe another time.

Enjoy the show, and enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area