Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 11:07 AM

226 posts, read 860,054 times

Advertisements

My husband just returned from a conference in Portland and is raving about the area. In his mind he's already bought us a small fixer-upper (looking at the prices it's all we could afford) on one of the islands. My question is do many families actually live on the islands or are they just places for the wealthy to spend summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 04:43 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,624 times
My sons that are in HS have classmates who commute to their school by ferry everyday. It looks difficult to manage to me but that's not my thing. The kids doing it seem to manage alright. One boy even had an after school job on the mainland.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
It depends on the island. Some islands are 'closed communities', while others have 'regular people' living on them. Some are a part of Portland, others are their own thing. Some have year-round residents, some have their utilities shut off for the winter (usually the water lines so they don't freeze and burst). Some island people are rich, some are working class to lower middle class.

But to answer your question, yes, some are only summer homes, while others are year-round.

Island people tend to be weird in an aloof sort of way. I am not saying that in a bad way, but it's just true. Their mannerisms are different as well as what they deem to be socially acceptable. Once again, not saying that is negative.

Before you buy a home on an island you need to fully investigate what you are getting yourself into. You could be in for a rude awakening if you don't.

Also, fixing up a fixer-upper on one of the islands could be expensive. All of the materials and equipment would have to be ferried in.

And if you happen to miss the last ferry and are stuck in Portland, the Water Taxi is like $80 to the closest island.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
The most popular island is Peaks Island, across the bay from Portland. Many work in Portland and commute daily. The other island with a healthy yearround pop is Chebeague Island. They recently seceded from the Town of Cumberland.

When I lived in Cumberland we had friends on Chebeague, it's a nice quiet lifestyle if you don't mind the hassle. I loved hanging out there and fantisize about living there.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Never saw the "need" to live on one of the islands. I have a friend who has a lot of relatives on Long island. We like to visit but there's no way I'd live out there all year long. Many of the islands are over run with summer people and maintain a small year round population. You'd be putting up with all the inconveniences of living on an island during the not so nice part of the year only to put up with the inconveniences caused by a ten fold increase in population during the nicer part of the year. I can think of better ways to torment myself. Nothing quite as desolate as an ice covered frozen island in February with the spray freezing heavy on the shore and the north wind howling hoping the boat is going to make it over so you can go to work or buy some food. NO THANKS. As K-Luv said fixer-uppers are common on a lot of the islands as are cottages to convert to a winterized home . The expense to do such a project on an island is quite high as compared to a similar main land project. Hauling cement trucks out to pour a foundation is quite an undertaking. Some love the "challenge" of island life, some people enjoy misery too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area