Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 01:47 PM

11 posts, read 16,735 times

Advertisements

When I move to Portland next year among the first things I will want is internet service! My main question now is does anyone know much about a company called GWI? I could probably get DSL through them and a landline phone - I currently have these services in the San Francisco Bay Area as well as a pay-as-you-go cell phone service (AT&T).

Anyway, any ratings out there for GWI? There don't appear to be many choices. I like the fact that GWI is local, but maybe they're not a good option?

Any advice welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 AM

121 posts, read 413,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBoundFemme View Post
When I move to Portland next year among the first things I will want is internet service! My main question now is does anyone know much about a company called GWI? I could probably get DSL through them and a landline phone - I currently have these services in the San Francisco Bay Area as well as a pay-as-you-go cell phone service (AT&T).

Anyway, any ratings out there for GWI? There don't appear to be many choices. I like the fact that GWI is local, but maybe they're not a good option?

Any advice welcome.

I've never heard of them, so I can't offer advice there. Don't deal with Fairpoint - lots of financial trouble there and problems with service. Most people around here use Time Warner for phone/internet/cable.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:40 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. I'd love to go local, but it may well not be possible. From what I read it sounds like Governor Baldaci is trying to facilitate more options for Maine.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:26 AM

874 posts, read 1,850,345 times
We've been using GWI for a few months with no problems. We dumped cable completely & use GWI for internet & phone with Netflix & an antenna for TV. We get a bit of choppiness with the cable, not sure if we just need to adjust the antenna or what at this point but the GWI stuff & Netflix work great.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 AM

genmomto5, thank you so much for your very helpful information. I'm glad to hear that GWI is working for you so far. Hopefully I can work it so that I'm living within three miles of one of their wire centers. The way you've cobbled together your "system" sounds good to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area