Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 05:04 PM

22 posts, read 61,391 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I hope your week hasn't been very stressful and you are looking forward to the holidays. I was wondering if there are any stores similar to these in Southern Maine...
World Market
Trader Joe's
Mustard Seed
Whole Foods

They are stores with a diverse selection of anything from food to home decor.

Thanks!

Michelle -counting down the days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:38 PM

12,840 posts, read 22,014,769 times
There's a Whole Foods in Portland on the corner of Franklin Arterial and Somerset Street. There used to be a similar store called, "Wild Oats" but it left shortly after Whole Foods went in.

I'm a huge Trader Joe's fan too, but the closest one is on Massachusett's North Shore, about an hour and a half away from Portland. There have been rumors for a while that one is going to locate in Southern Maine. I think it would be a great fit.

Hannaford is the primary regular supermarket in the area (Shaw's is there too, but it's terrible). It's better than your average standard market by a lot. They focus on locally grown and have large organic and natural food sections. It's my favorite standard regional chain by quite a long shot (I don't consider Whole Foods or Trader Joe's to be "standard" chains). Much of the stuff you'll find at Whole Foods you can find at Hannaford for quite a bit less.

Moreover, because there's such an emphasis on local foods in the area, fresh, all-natural produce, seafoods and meats are readily available at smaller, non-chain markets around the area. This is particularly true in the form of seafood markets, but you'll find produce and meats at various places around the Portland area too.

I highly doubt you'll have trouble finding the selection you're looking for.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:56 PM

22 posts, read 61,391 times
Thanks so much Irfox!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
There used to be a large Pier One imports on outer Forest Ave, near USM and Oakhurst Dairy. It seems it has closed, maybe moved elsewhere or closed for good, not sure.

I work for World Market in Phoenix and LOVE the store. It would do great in Maine!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There's a Whole Foods in Portland on the corner of Franklin Arterial and Somerset Street. There used to be a similar store called, "Wild Oats" but it left shortly after Whole Foods went in.

I'm a huge Trader Joe's fan too, but the closest one is on Massachusett's North Shore, about an hour and a half away from Portland. There have been rumors for a while that one is going to locate in Southern Maine. I think it would be a great fit.

Hannaford is the primary regular supermarket in the area (Shaw's is there too, but it's terrible). It's better than your average standard market by a lot. They focus on locally grown and have large organic and natural food sections. It's my favorite standard regional chain by quite a long shot (I don't consider Whole Foods or Trader Joe's to be "standard" chains). Much of the stuff you'll find at Whole Foods you can find at Hannaford for quite a bit less.

Moreover, because there's such an emphasis on local foods in the area, fresh, all-natural produce, seafoods and meats are readily available at smaller, non-chain markets around the area. This is particularly true in the form of seafood markets, but you'll find produce and meats at various places around the Portland area too.

I highly doubt you'll have trouble finding the selection you're looking for.
I agree. Shaw's is reputed to have slightly lower prices than Hannaford, but I find it costs me more because unless you carry a miscroscope to check the expiration dates, you'll find that Shaw's doesn't check (or care?) how far off the expiration date their food is. I just opened a box of Cascadian Farms cereal this morning that I bought from Shaws in Brunswick yesterday with an expiration date over three months ago! It's the fourth time it's happened so I'm done with them.

Expiration dates are voluntary if I remember reading that info correctly. Neither mfg's nor stores have to use them at all. It's a matter of customer preference and convenience - but ignoring them is a good way to loose business.

Decent salmon (even farm-raised) is difficult to find in any of the stores in the winter. It's punky at best and we have been eating salmon 3x/week for decades so that's a disappointment. I haven't tried the WF in Portland for seafood yet because it's a 30 min commute for me. There are 2 empty storefronts for seafood markets that went out of business in Brunswick - but I keep looking for new ones to pop up between there and Falmouth. Hopefully some will this year.

I used to live 5 min from Whole Foods and about 15 from Trader Joe's. I really like Maine but the grocery shopping - well, not so much.

lrfox - Wild Oats, btw, was bought by Whole Foods last year. We ended up within 3 miles of 2 Whole Foods stores as a result.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,463,517 times
Sunday,
The Brunswick area seafood stores were both owned by the same family, they ran into some family trouble a few years ago. Our construction company built the one at Cooks Corner. Too bad it's empty now, it's a great location. Also, if you travel down RT 24 at Cooks Corner towards Great Island about 4 miles, you'll find another one called The Gurnet seafood mrkt.
Bath has a couple seafood mrkts. Plants and Gilmores. Both are easy to find. Other than that, there are several in downtown Portland right on Commercial St. ( the waterfront). My prefer Harbor Fish on Custom House wharf. Great guys, the freshest seafood from Maine is shipped all over the world from there. This would also be the best place to find the freshest salmon.
Enjoy!

Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Thank you Mermaid!!! We'll check them all out!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 PM

12,840 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I agree. Shaw's is reputed to have slightly lower prices than Hannaford, but I find it costs me more because unless you carry a miscroscope to check the expiration dates, you'll find that Shaw's doesn't check (or care?) how far off the expiration date their food is. I just opened a box of Cascadian Farms cereal this morning that I bought from Shaws in Brunswick yesterday with an expiration date over three months ago! It's the fourth time it's happened so I'm done with them.

Expiration dates are voluntary if I remember reading that info correctly. Neither mfg's nor stores have to use them at all. It's a matter of customer preference and convenience - but ignoring them is a good way to loose business.

Decent salmon (even farm-raised) is difficult to find in any of the stores in the winter. It's punky at best and we have been eating salmon 3x/week for decades so that's a disappointment. I haven't tried the WF in Portland for seafood yet because it's a 30 min commute for me. There are 2 empty storefronts for seafood markets that went out of business in Brunswick - but I keep looking for new ones to pop up between there and Falmouth. Hopefully some will this year.

I used to live 5 min from Whole Foods and about 15 from Trader Joe's. I really like Maine but the grocery shopping - well, not so much.

lrfox - Wild Oats, btw, was bought by Whole Foods last year. We ended up within 3 miles of 2 Whole Foods stores as a result.
I never knew that about Shaws and expiration dates, but now I like them even less. Is it sad that I'm not shocked?

I've had better luck with Salmon at the markets in Portland. Even if the Salmon doesn't look good, the Arctic Char can often be a decent substitute. It may be worth your while to make the drive, but 30 minutes isn't exactly convenient, particularly not for 3 days a week.

I didn't know that about Wild Oats... I guess that would explain the exodus right after Whole Foods moved in. Down in Providence we used to have a great store, Bread and Circus, that was replaced by Whole Foods too. I miss Bread and Circus.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 PM

I gave Mermaid's post to my DH and he said he would drop over to the Portland seafood shops on Commercial St. on his way home from the airport once in awhile. I've not heard of Arctic Char, lrfox ~ we will most definitely give it a try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area