Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:32 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times

Advertisements

Back Bay drains out at low tide, that was probably what you were smelling. It doesn't drain completely out but quite a bit. I'm not aware of the sewage treatment plant giving off any odor and I used to drive over Tukey's every night to get home from work.

Glad you enjoyed Portland, you've narrowed it down to some really great area's. The Hill and the Eastern Prom are both nice places to live, congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Low tide?

It's funny, when I was growing up in S Portland, Munjoy Hill was not a place you'd ever want to be. I'm glad it's changed -- it's a great area to live I would think.

You get snow in St Louis, right? Because if not, you may not realize that the beautiful white snow becomes ugly black snow after a little while...

Old 01-21-2010, 04:15 PM

356 posts, read 703,140 times
I just checked the tides for that date and yes, it was pretty near low tide... so does it really smell like that twice a day, every day?? What is it that makes it smell like that?

We don't get much snow in St. Louis, but I've lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin so I'm pretty familiar with it. I know it's not always pretty or fun...

We're still having a hard time deciding between the East and West End. Both feel like great urban neighborhoods. The West End is very classy, and more like the neighborhood where we currently live (the Central West End in St. Louis). Munjoy Hill feels more funky (love the house with the HOT PINK trim... lol). I like the idea of being so close to the Eastern Prom/Back Bay trails, so the East End is edging ahead.

Just about everyone we met was very friendly and chatty, eager to give advice and brag about their city and state.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:33 PM

I LOVE the smell of low tide! I know that sounds weird, and maybe it's because I grew up there, but I miss it out here in the desert. But I'll deal with it because it's been 60 degrees in the afternoon this week, lol.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
I just checked the tides for that date and yes, it was pretty near low tide... so does it really smell like that twice a day, every day?? What is it that makes it smell like that?
Well, there are a few contributing factors about why it smells like that, first, it's mud! Second, it's mud with various other things in it that sometimes bake in the sun all day. You might have also picked up the odor coming from B&M Baked Beans. Beans & mud, ya that's the ticket.

Eventually you'll barely notice the smell. On hot summer days, low tide smells like, low tide. It's like living near a dairy farm, you eventually stop smelling the cow ****.

I doubt you'd smell it twice a day though, I assume you'll sleep at some point within those 24 hours.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:04 PM

I love B&M Baked Beans' Smell! That was always a plus, driving over the bridge into Portland, when you got a whiff of that.

Now I'm all nostalgic for home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area