Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 AM

17 posts, read 50,563 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am looking for any information on 99 Silver St in Portland. My wife is looking at a one bedroom apartment she found on Craigs List for $635 all utilities included; she will be attending the PA school at UNE's Portland campus for the 10-11 year and needs a place in the city to stay. I will be 2.5 hours away in Mass, so safety is my biggest concern; secondly, does this price sound too good to be true? I am unfamiliar with the rentals in Maine; I do know that in Mass an apartment with all utilities included for $635 would put you in some VERY undesirable locations.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,823 times
Take it. It almost seems to good to be true. Silver Street is right in the Old Port. There is plenty going on in this area. She'll have a lot available to her within walking distance. UNE students can also ride the Metro (city bus) for free so she can get to the campus from this apartment without needing a car. Parking in the Old Port is not easy.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:06 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
It is a well known condominium and the owner is an investor or an owner that has not been able to sell. The building has coin op laundry in the basement, but no parking. Find out how much and where the parking will be (if she's using a car). Check with the management company (who may be handling this lease already) to make sure that the owner has the right to rent the unit and the condo fees are current and I'd also check on the owner's equity to make sure that the unit is not close to foreclosure, as often the tenants are the last to know.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:37 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
As for safety, 99 Silver St. is about a block away from the police station, and two blocks from the Courthouse. Aside from that, its a pretty safe area. Two things, though; there will be a lot of foot traffic and noise from tourist in the summer, and it would be a hike to UNE. UNE is not that far away by any other large city standards, but for Portland, it might as well be in Mongolia.

The rent sounds really good. Almost too good. The place is either a dump, she got lucky, or what WhoFanMe said.

If she has a car, she can get a parking permit from the city, which I believe are free, and she would be allowed to park on the street without worry of ticket or tow, but the problem would be finding a spot. There are two parking garages near by, which are not that bad for monthly rates compared other 'metro' areas.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:14 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
One thing to be aware of is that ads on CL that are "too good to be true" are sometimes scams. I have no clue about the rent in Portland nowadays -- just giving some advice. If they don't give a phone number, that's one red flag.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM

17 posts, read 50,563 times
And the verdict is...definite scam. Thank you for all the advice, as soon as I contacted the "owner" he informed us he was away in England and would require money to be wired to him through a company called "Word Cargo." Back to the newspapers and real estate agents for us!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Wow, we've been warned about that in our office, but this is really close to home!

I saw something similar, note the $650 here (http://www.wmtw.com/news/22543730/detail.html - broken link) last week.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
I have had good luck on CL with stuff locally. That is to say when I can go in person to check out the "deal" in person. CL is not always bad. Heck, I have done some major renovation stuff here on my home from CL purchases at a fraction of the cost I would've paid retail (more money I can bring to Maine). The scam stuff is usually like this, when you are not local. You did the right thing.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Perhaps you should make sure it is not a basement or ground floor apt.
You want her to be safe, at all costs!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 AM

There are a couple of basement units in that building that I've shown, but they are 2 Bedroom units. They are not bad, but you do get a view of peoples shins as they walk by on Silver Street. On the positive side they are on the same level as the laundry and secure storage bins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area