Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,264 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all your information. By using the term "animal rights" I was refering to dogs, cats, horses, etc. Shelter for a tied out dog from the blazing sun, and rain. Shelter from the cold such as a dog house with straw or hay, food and water available-things like that. In our state these things are not important. People abusing family pets in more extreme ways are usually not punished. It's very sad. I like the way you worded the phrase "there is a moral obligation for humans to be good stewards of their pets and livestock". That is exactly what it boils down to-we have a moral obligation. Sorry about the bold type after the word livestock. Im not sure how to get back to the regular type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 01:45 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,573,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torinosmiles View Post
Thanks for all your information. By using the term "animal rights" I was refering to dogs, cats, horses, etc. Shelter for a tied out dog from the blazing sun, and rain. Shelter from the cold such as a dog house with straw or hay, food and water available-things like that. In our state these things are not important. People abusing family pets in more extreme ways are usually not punished. It's very sad. I like the way you worded the phrase "there is a moral obligation for humans to be good stewards of their pets and livestock". That is exactly what it boils down to-we have a moral obligation. Sorry about the bold type after the word livestock. Im not sure how to get back to the regular type.
People in Maine are generally pretty good about taking care of pets and livestock. Sure there are exceptions though as long as I've been in Maine (all my life) I cannot say that I have witnessed any real abuse. Someone may keep a horse on too small a lot, raise too many dogs or cats but you don't see too much of that going on.
There are people who treat their dogs and cats better than they treat their kids. There are others who project the affection they would to give to children on their pets..effectively "humanizing the pet". That to me is a bit over the top. When the line in someone's mind is blurred enough not to be able to make the distinction between a human and a dog it's time to lie on a nice comfortable couch and have a talk with a good Psychiatrist.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:02 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,646,124 times
Does anyone have any info about the Millstream subdivision in Freeport? There is a house for rent there. How far would the mall be, or downtown Portland?

Also, I see that generally speaking he schools in Freeport appear pretty good -- any experiences that people can share would be appreciated.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,795,609 times
For the Maine Mall ya just jump on the interstate and your in downtown Portland in 20/25 min.

My kids went to Greely(Cumberland/North Yarmouth), I coached the ski team, Freeport was in our little league so I got know their coach and some of their parents and worked with alot of Freeport folks at Bean. I think all the schools in the area are above average, Falmouth, Cumberland, Yarmouth and Freeport.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 8,029 times
hello, I fell in love with Maine years ago and now, a senior, I am looking to relocate there. I am not having any luck however finding an apt. in Bath. Is it that difficult? Are there few? I don't know the difference in West Bath from Bath from historic Bath. Any help in these areas would be most appreciative. Thx. Maineevent1947

Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,795,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Henderson View Post
hello, I fell in love with Maine years ago and now, a senior, I am looking to relocate there. I am not having any luck however finding an apt. in Bath. Is it that difficult? Are there few? I don't know the difference in West Bath from Bath from historic Bath. Any help in these areas would be most appreciative. Thx. Maineevent1947
You should delete this and repost in the Maine forum instead of this Portland Metro Area sub-forum. While Bath is not that far from Portland, it's beyond the Portland metro area.

Curious why your picking Bath? It's not very big so the 3 areas are not that far from each other and the economy is dominated by huge BIW(Bath Iron Works). The Historic District is part of the downtown and includes some of the old stately homes and other housing. The downtown is on the river. West Bath has some decent neighborhoods but it's also where some sprawl is with some franchise fast food and motels.

There is an awesome photo shop/lab in downtown Bath which I used to hit for film when I was headed up the coast on US 1. I thought the downtown was nice, has such a diferent feel vs when your cruising above on US 1 which is a divided highway. Also on the other side of US 1 you have the massive BIW complex, an impressive facility to see.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 PM

6 posts, read 8,029 times
Default thx for info on Bath

oops, wrong place I see. Don't know how I got here but appreciate your info on the Bath areas.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 646 times
Default Moving from Portland, OR

Hello, Freeport! My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving to Freeport from Portland, Oregon soon and we are trying to figure out what exactly we need to expect. I.E. What is the job market like, what is it like renting, what is it like shopping for groceries for a three person family, that sort of thing. Any input from you is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:18 AM

898 posts, read 592,002 times
I vacationed in Freeport for a week this summer. The question my fiance and I asked back and forth the entire time was "how can anybody afford to live around here?" Only work seems to be retail or things essentially serving the summer tourist industry. We stayed in Freeport, but spent about no time there. Nothing but the same "outlets" that we have in CT. So unless you come with a suitcase full of cash from selling a home, you need to have some sort of plan to survive on a couple of $12 per hour part time retail paychecks.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:49 PM

23 posts, read 29,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I vacationed in Freeport for a week this summer. The question my fiance and I asked back and forth the entire time was "how can anybody afford to live around here?" Only work seems to be retail or things essentially serving the summer tourist industry. We stayed in Freeport, but spent about no time there. Nothing but the same "outlets" that we have in CT. So unless you come with a suitcase full of cash from selling a home, you need to have some sort of plan to survive on a couple of $12 per hour part time retail paychecks.
Freeport is ~25-30 min from Portland and 40 min from Augusta. Most people who live in Freeport are not seasonal, part-time retail workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area