U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 13,263 times

Advertisements

Hey there! Need some help finding good Portland rentals. Appreciate any suggestions I can get.

My significant other and I have recently been accepted to USM Law. I'm originally from upstate, NY, but I currently go to school on the other side of the country. We want to look into apartments in Portland, but not necessarily limited to around the school area, as we both have cars and don't mind a reasonable drive. Since we can't look at them in person at the moment, the search is limited to the internet (Craigslist, apartment sites, etc.), but I was wondering if anyone has any apartment management company suggestions, complex suggestions, hard to find links, etc.? The normal apartment sites just turn up the same few complexes, and I know there has to be some hidden gems out there.

We would prefer a 2 bedroom under $1k. Surrounding areas are fine, so long as they aren't 30+ minutes away.

I really appreciate any help and will check back frequently. Thank you very much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,647 times
My husband and I just moved here on the 1st and had the most luck with Craigslist. We contacted a couple Property Management Companies and our calls were never returned. There was also a bit more red tape in dealing with the Prop. Management Co's which I'm sure is the same everywhere (you may not mind that though ). When we contacted Craigslist listings, they were ready to show us apartments the same day.

My advice would be to go on Craigslist and look through the listings (some may include things like heat, hot water, trash etc. which might be worth paying more for) and make a list of the ones you like. Some apartments seem to go really fast (some even the same day they're listed) but others stick around for a while for one reason or another (ours had been listed for a while, but turned out to be a fantastic apt.). I think the best thing to do is call them all when you're already in town, because we found most landlords were ready to show and lease the same day.

I hope this helped some and feel free to DM me for more info!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthewillow View Post
My husband and I just moved here on the 1st and had the most luck with Craigslist. We contacted a couple Property Management Companies and our calls were never returned. There was also a bit more red tape in dealing with the Prop. Management Co's which I'm sure is the same everywhere (you may not mind that though ). When we contacted Craigslist listings, they were ready to show us apartments the same day.

My advice would be to go on Craigslist and look through the listings (some may include things like heat, hot water, trash etc. which might be worth paying more for) and make a list of the ones you like. Some apartments seem to go really fast (some even the same day they're listed) but others stick around for a while for one reason or another (ours had been listed for a while, but turned out to be a fantastic apt.). I think the best thing to do is call them all when you're already in town, because we found most landlords were ready to show and lease the same day.

I hope this helped some and feel free to DM me for more info!
Sent you a message, thanks!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 12,454 times
I'm planning to move to Portland in August or September and am having the same problem since I'm currently in Chicago and can't get to Portland every time I want to see an apartment. Is it fairly easy to find places to rent in Portland? Since I'm in Chicago, I'm used to paying criminally high rates on apartments, but would love to not shell out as much each month. Is it realistic to find a one bedroom for under $600 or should I resign myself to the fact that I'll have to pay a lot more?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:01 AM

10,233 posts, read 18,346,389 times
If you look hard enough, you can probably get something for CLOSE to that. Still, for a nice 1 bedroom I'd expect to pay closer to $800.

Do you have a job lined up or is this just going to be a "move on a whim" type deal? I'd suggest getting a job first. It's not easy to find good paying work that's more than a seasonal job in Portland. Portland is a small city that's economy is HEAVILY based on tourism. That tourism peaks sharply in the summer months and jobs are relatively easy to find then (especially if you work in a restaurant or other hospitality). Career style jobs are a bit harder to come by due to limited selection. It can be VERY hard to find serious work if you just go to Portland and hope to get something after you get there. I know MANY people who did this and ended up leaving within a year because they simply couldn't find anything (they were often quite well qualified too).

Old 05-23-2010, 04:17 PM

279 posts, read 659,613 times
I used to work for USM, so I know about this resource:

Off-Campus Housing Listing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area