Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:46 AM

908 posts, read 1,661,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic_Twit View Post
This might be Federal law by now, but you cannot discriminate due to source of income but a landlord can reject due to insufficient amount of income. So say you receive $1000 a month from SSI. On a $600 a month rental, a landlord can require income 2x rent, and in this case, reject on that basis.

Of course, source of income doesn't apply to any illegal sources.
haha, that's funny. the top payout limit for ssi is $670 per month- well below poverty level, and yet that is what a disabled person is expected to live on....when we know disabled often have MORE expenses, not less than the average human.
... now if it's 2 people with ssi in one household, it can go twice that amount, etc.

but anyway, see how come so many thousands of people, many of them disabled, are homeless on the streets, and other, more hidden places, in Portland? There's a huge need for many many more, super cheap, subsidized units- because disability pay does not cover rent easily at all.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 AM

[quote=Minervah;14623035]
Quote:
We expect that he shouldn't have TOO much trouble getting a temp agency to place him because of his job experience and education, but we don't know for sure if they can turn us down because neither of us would be working when we applied for a place and possibly not by the time we'd be moving in.

That depends on what his line of work is. There is a tremendous amount of competition for jobs in Portland and temp agencies are alternatives many people turn to in order to get their foot in the door for a full time job. Remember you are seeking work in a town where one help-wanted ad can generate hundred's of resumes in a couple of days.

Regarding a place to live, landlords can pick and choose. It is in their best interst to choose someone living here who has a steady job because so many potential renters to choose from. You may be able to find something in the outlying suburbs in a large apartment complex that is having a difficult time filling vacancies.

My experience with HAP housing is that you have to be earning a low income but you have to be earning some income. I don't know if they will rent to someone without a job. There is a waiting list as has been already mentioned due to the fact that there are so many low-income people in need of housing.

If you are looking to relocate, I would advise you to check out other cities besides Portland. You might find the conditions elsewhere are better for you.
just to clarify, the Section 8 program and most others, do not necessarily require anyone to have a job, in fact some rent to people with no income, or extremely low income (couple hundred a month, etc). that is why they exist. to help those who cannot pay their rent. It depends on the individual apartment property, as to which program they are part of. For instance, Section 236 has a requirement for income because the lowest rent isn't all that low. But Section 8's lowest tenant rent can be down to $20 a month, based on about 30% of a household's income; and there are also other helpful adjustments or allowances so a destitute person might be able to rent a unit. Particularly at-risk, vulnerable people with certain factors operating in their lives. Sometimes for example, a mom with kids has only a few hundred dollars a month of child support to live on, but that is usually acceptable on section 8. Or someone on ssdi, gets only say $400 a month from their social security, but it is acceptable, and their part of the rent is only $120 a month or less.
But this is why the wait lists are so long. There's a ton of need and not enough bright people or caring people with the money and all, to make sure enough units go around. also, there is this horrible thing called gentrification: it is actually happening within the programs themselves. You can make an obscene amount of money and live in some of the program units. So the middle class has moved in and gentrified the programs, and pushed the neediest people to the street. It's a crime, I mean, the nature of it is; to alter the programs so the middle class can now come in and take over where the poorest should be living instead.Welfare for the middle class. The programs need desperately to be switched back or refined to allow the truly needy to live in the units and have the vouchers instead of those with higher incomes who would survive fine without them. This is one big reason why America and especially Portland, have so many poor homeless who aren't winos or druggies.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 08-31-2010 at 03:43 AM..

Old 09-04-2010, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,089 times
I have a question that I hope someone can answer. My friend and I used to be roommates and have two cats, one is hers, one is mine. Since she has been in HAP housing and has not been able to afford the deposit I have kept them at my place. Now it looks like I may have to pack up and move back to Utah where my folks are, as I just can't seem to make it here financially. The problem is I cannot have my cats there.
She looked into the pet situation there at her building and was told they have to have their shots and be licensed, which is reasonable. One of the cats is diabetic, and now one of the managers is telling her that they won't allow sick animals, that if a cat got sick after they already lived there that would be one thing, but if a cat is already sick they will not let her have him. Now, I am sorry but he is diabetic! I do not consider that to be a "sick animal." He has a condition that as long as it is treated he is just fine. I could see if it were something contagious that would leave the possibility of future cats getting ill from living in that same place, but can they legally refuse to allow a cat because of diabetes? I know it doesn't have to do with finances, and even if it did, since she would now be taking 'custody' of our babies, I would naturally pay cat support, lol, to make sure he had his medicine and his proper food, etc.
Does anyone know where I can check into the rules, and how we could dispute this?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,846 times
Im a single parent in a complex in Portland Oregon that HAP is going to tear down. We all have to relocate and currently have a 3 bedroom. Ive been told I have to put my 19 year old son in the same bedroom with my 9 yr old daughter, becouse im only allowed a 2 bedroom when I move. Unless I take low income instead of Sec 8 then I can have a 3 bedroom. But according to HUD rules they can not share a room neither can I share with my daughter. Why do some rules apply sometimes to the same situation.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
You will have to ask them about the logic. If it were me I would choose the housing option that offers the best quality of life for your family. Your son will probably be living with you for only a couple more years. They can't obligate your children to share a room once you move in, you and your daughter could easily share the largest bedroom.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM

40 posts, read 64,179 times
why would you even mention the personal health details of your pet? Do they make you fill out a questionnaire? I'd say it's none of their business about not only my pet but my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticchick View Post
I have a question that I hope someone can answer. My friend and I used to be roommates and have two cats, one is hers, one is mine. Since she has been in HAP housing and has not been able to afford the deposit I have kept them at my place. Now it looks like I may have to pack up and move back to Utah where my folks are, as I just can't seem to make it here financially. The problem is I cannot have my cats there.
She looked into the pet situation there at her building and was told they have to have their shots and be licensed, which is reasonable. One of the cats is diabetic, and now one of the managers is telling her that they won't allow sick animals, that if a cat got sick after they already lived there that would be one thing, but if a cat is already sick they will not let her have him. Now, I am sorry but he is diabetic! I do not consider that to be a "sick animal." He has a condition that as long as it is treated he is just fine. I could see if it were something contagious that would leave the possibility of future cats getting ill from living in that same place, but can they legally refuse to allow a cat because of diabetes? I know it doesn't have to do with finances, and even if it did, since she would now be taking 'custody' of our babies, I would naturally pay cat support, lol, to make sure he had his medicine and his proper food, etc.
Does anyone know where I can check into the rules, and how we could dispute this?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryunger View Post
Im a single parent in a complex in Portland Oregon that HAP is going to tear down. We all have to relocate and currently have a 3 bedroom. Ive been told I have to put my 19 year old son in the same bedroom with my 9 yr old daughter, becouse im only allowed a 2 bedroom when I move. Unless I take low income instead of Sec 8 then I can have a 3 bedroom. But according to HUD rules they can not share a room neither can I share with my daughter. Why do some rules apply sometimes to the same situation.
That's strange, that they say you can only have a 2 bedroom. Clackamas county would not say that, since you have a son over 18 and a child of the opposite sex he is supposedly going to share a room with. HUD regs separate the sexes so that it will make it that much harder for sexual abuse to happen by mere closeness/ access at night etc. Every housing authority has different policies.
Well, HAP is not making good policies, something is dreadfully wrong, I'm very sure there must be a shortage of mental talent there. This is a tiny tip of the iceberg, there's plenty more. They need much better policymaking and problem solving.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticchick View Post
well, you are going to have to deal with the rules of the complex, the management, the housing authority, and HUD. It will depend on the particular Section program they are in, as to any rules or policies. Go to the first post of this thread, for a link to Portland's Section 8 policies and it also should get you to the Housing Authority main pages.
But, that said, any kind of management decision has to be based on sound reasons, and the state laws as well. This however sounds like one of those gray areas and judgement calls. Find out if the complex has a written pet policy, that is where you start. WRITTEN. Then she should ask for a WRITTEN response from the management. That might make the mgmt take a step back and reconsider. Because sometimes they just make arbitrary decisions that are nonsensical or ill informed. And any such discriminations have to be applied evenly to all people, so maybe that is why they are using that requirement, applied to all sick animals.
does the written pet policy say that animals have to be healthy to move in????? if not, then someone should explain to the mgmt, everything you said here, because i think that perhaps the statement about sick animals would apply to those that were not being successfully treated.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,093 times
Angry I think i am living in a illegal rental basement apartment

I am worried and paranoid on what to do and can not afford legal help. I am on disability and could never afford an attorney. Does anyone have any adivce or a referal to help me please? I live in a basement apartment the biggest window mesauements are (17x12 1/5) and the only exit is the front door.there are no fire exits or smoke detecors or other kind of alarms I have been told by a licensed contractor/plumber/painter that i was living in a "Very dangerous hazardous unit that is illegal to rent. I have been living here for over a year.

When i rented this place it was very easy and cheap to get in compared to other apartments in my area. I feel i was taken atvantage of because i am on social security disabiilty and didnt have much of a choice to be picky. I moved from Astoria Oregon and i had to find a place fast. Since living here i have been very paranoid what i would do if there was a fire in my aparment. Having my worries confirmed by others who are concerned for my safety has made me want to know my rights as a tennet i have contacted the city of portland just yesterday and the renters rights for tennets hotline. I have not got much information or a reply back yet. If anyone has any legal adive please help me if you can. I really do feel like i have been living in a deathtrap without proper means of evacuation! And my lanlord admitted to the guy who is painting this place that he knew that it was illegal to rent to me and asked the contractor/plumber if he would do work on the basement apartment without a permit.

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS
1) Is it true that the department of buildings evict you with no notice if you didn't know your apartment was illegal. I pay my own electric, phone, cable etc... and i have been here for a year but if i report my living situations can the city kick me out?

2) It is also illegal for a landlord to charge rent for an illegal unit? So if i find out this is illegal to be living here and i cant move right away do i have to keep paying this guy rent?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I cannot answer your questions precisely but I believe these people can.

Community Alliance of Tenants | Contact Us

Good luck to you and I hope they can steer you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland