Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Agreed, unfortunately, I think guys like us are in the minority. I always feel like an outcast with my friends, as most of them are glued to the tv for Football, Basketball and even Baseball. Everytime I go to the gym on a Sunday, I see the bar/grill next door full of guys (and even some women) wearing jerseys with their favorite player's name and watching football and eating chicken wings.

I have learned to not give a care that I was not one of those people personally. Maybe in HS I wanted to be, but quickly learned that I didn't since most people like that were D Bags that I came across.
Your friends might be somewhat nice, but still, not my bag to watch football and really hang with a crowd that shares nothing in common with me. I am not that, why try to be it you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 AM

11 posts, read 27,795 times
This is seriously where are world is going to isnt it? how manly is your city??? what the hell does that mean? i think they mean most stereotypical American city?

Old 11-19-2010, 03:58 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,960,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Where I live, it seems most of the girls go with guys with sports stuff on or university team apparel who all look alike. Like the typical short short haired dudes with like say a Gators hat on or maybe a football team.
I can't define if they are all couch potatoes especially since some aren't fat that I see, but eh, some could be too. I don't get the draw. If I were to be a looker towards guys, I would find the nerdier indie guys to be more attractive personally.
Are you a man or a woman?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Are you a man or a woman?

Male.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
What is the big deal with trying to be so "manly"? I don't worry about it. I don't ascribed to such values. I do what I want.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
I have learned to not give a care that I was not one of those people personally. Maybe in HS I wanted to be, but quickly learned that I didn't since most people like that were D Bags that I came across.
Your friends might be somewhat nice, but still, not my bag to watch football and really hang with a crowd that shares nothing in common with me. I am not that, why try to be it you know?
The chicken wings I could understand, but as macho as a lot of these fools make themselves out to be, they could easily be the type that calls the plumber whenever the drain gets clogged by a hairball.

To me, manliness should be judged by how much of a "MacGyver" you could pull when the situation calls for it.
I've actually gotten into more conversations with fine women having trouble with a dead-battery on their BFs lifted truck.

All the while Tony McMusclehead stands off to the side with the Red-Face.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:06 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Hard core sports fans are idiots for the most part. Going on and on about grown-ups playing kids games never strikes me as overly sophisticated or mature. I'm not a total stick in the mud about sports--i'll casually watch an NCAA tournament game or whatever if it's on TV, but all the bozos I know personally who can rattle back and forth with each other about "sports politics" for hours are the types that never spend too much time on politics or world events or much of anything of actual importance.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Hard core sports fans are idiots for the most part. Going on and on about grown-ups playing kids games never strikes me as overly sophisticated or mature. I'm not a total stick in the mud about sports--i'll casually watch an NCAA tournament game or whatever if it's on TV, but all the bozos I know personally who can rattle back and forth with each other about "sports politics" for hours are the types that never spend too much time on politics or world events or much of anything of actual importance.
I would say that is quite a stretch. Some sports fans I have met actually do have some intellectual prowess. Sports is just something they enjoy watching.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXlifer View Post
Number 50 to be exact I'll try to keep my mouth shut, but others I'm sure will want to chime in. Is Rip City over over run with girly boys? ( I don't mean gay)
What say you?
Well the long haired dreadlock hippy guys are not exactly manly so I agree with the poll.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
Well the long haired dreadlock hippy guys are not exactly manly so I agree with the poll.
But why should manliness be measured this way. Being a man shouldn't be about having muscles and being a "meathead". Being a man is about living up to your responsibilities. It is about courage, not from being big and strong, but from inside one's heart. It isn't about being an "alpha-male". Being a man should come from your heart. It is about a father being there for his child the whole way. Anyone can lift weights. Anyone can act like a meathead. It is about what you would do if the chips were down. That should be the measure of a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland