Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 48,544 times

Advertisements

i just moved here from michigan and was wondering if there's anywhere like Target, etc. for cheaper clothes and home stuff. i find fred mayer too expensive.

And what about "dollar stores" ? for like: hand mirrors, no-name clear tape and just crap you need and dont want to pay thru the nose for.

i moved to SE and been biking around relentlessly and have yet to find such places. do i have to get out to the un-hip areas to get low prices? no problem.

thanks!
j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
There is a Target out there somewhere around SE 96th and Washington. There is a Dollar Tree on 82nd at Holgate and also one on Foster Road at 69th. There is a Value Village on 82nd at Mitchell. These are useful.

Finally, this is heresy to speak of this (*holds breath*), but in the city of Portland near the first Dollar Tree on 82nd and Holgate, there is a Wal-Mart... (*lets breath out*) It's just a regular Wal-Mart, not a supercenter. I am sure you can find tons of cheaper things there, for better or for worse. I went there once a year and half ago to buy work shoes because the only Fred Meyer I knew of, which was the one downtown by my house, didn't have an apparel section and I didn't know where else to go. I found cheap work shoes there... Haven't been there since. And haven't been to the Portland Target (just a Beaverton one.

There is also, for reference, a Grocery Outlet in Hollywood up in Northeast and a Winco in Happy Valley on 82nd just before you get to Clackamas Town Center heading south, and a Costco just past Clackamas T.C. off of Sunnybrook Blvd.

Last edited by backdrifter; 06-22-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Look for WinCo Food stores, as mention in Backdriter's post.
Also, do seek out Trader Joe's, although I find the savings are hit or miss on many of their products.
And yes, Freddie's is high prices unless you only shop their weekly shopping coupon flier in the Sunday Oregonian, and snip out the coupons.

That Target store that Backdrifter mentioned is part of the Mall-205 near the intersection of SE Washington and I-205. There is also a Home Depot in that small mall.

BTW: depending on where you live, getting to Mall-205 can be tricky due to Mt. Tabor screwing with all the roads heading east from E. Burnside down to SE Division st.

Out near SE 55th and E Burnside is a QFC grocery store (requires a membership to shop there) that one of my neighbors likes. I was unimpressed. Maybe the QFC in Sellwood is better.

If you get the weekly flier from Safeway, you can save some money with coupons, otherwise it is like Freddies, but with lower quality produce.

I am sure you heard this joke ready: Whole Foods = whole paycheck

Old 06-22-2010, 07:32 PM

716 posts, read 2,818,006 times
I hate Fred Meyer.

I'll shop Wal-Mart over Fred Meyer any day. (same Chinese crap that Fred Meyer and Target sell but at better prices).

Food is better at Costco, Trader Joes, Whole Foods.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 PM

great, thanks for all the info... much appreciated!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I think that Fred Meyer & Safeway stores are inconsistent. I lived in NW Portland for years, then away for the last 15. I went back to my old NW Burnside store and found it lacking, the Safeway in St. Johns was better! During my absence I would visit the FM in Hollywood and found it most satisfactory, same for the store near NIKE. The prices in the weekly fly-er are the same throughout the region for both retailers but other than that you need to find the store that best meets your needs.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Thrift stores in Portland are amazing, or were and that fact is well known. I had very good luck with the large one down on 7th near the river. Value Village used to be good, don't know about now. Their really good store in Hollywood closed a couple years ago (area gentrified; landlords jacked up the rent).

I used to shop at Winco, but don't like the layout of the store, and the large crowds. I shop more carefully now, at Trader's, Freddie's, and Safeway. Noticed that Safeway jacked up its prices in recent weeks. The Sandy store is good for peace and quiet when I'm not in the mood for the crowds at Freddie's. If a store h as a good parking lot, that's a plus. Freddie's in Gresham has a terrible parking lot and recently went through an interminable renovation. The Sandy store is much nicer (smaller).

And there is NO way I'll ever shop at WalMart ever again (haven't in over 11 years), buit suit yourself.

I agree with NellPlotts that chain stores vary from store to store. Find the one you feel comfortable with and stick with it until it changes.

Last edited by pathrunner; 06-23-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Since Kroger's took over Fred Meyer's it hasn't been the same. But it is cheaper than Safeway where I shop because I live only two blocks from one. One thing you can do is check the prices in the newspaper and visit several stores for the best sales.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:43 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Winco - Good for that weekly stockup, overall great prices tho' you can't get some brands. Shop the off hours and days and you won't be bothered by the unwashed masses (apologies... a bit of bias there)

Freddie's - Shop the specials. Staples can be expensive. Nice health and alternative section. They carry some things other stores don't... like the stevia product beginning with a P with seven letters, the best one out there (tastes great and doesn't spike your glycemic levels like all the others)

Safeway - Shop the specials. Staples are expensive.

Albertson's - They have a flyer with 10 for $10 if you like staples and stuff from cans, etc. Good in a pinch. Good for stocking up on disaster preparedness items.

Trader's - 19 cent bananas. Cheap wine, generally cheap decent staples in boxes. I go there for specialty items (no not Two Buck Chuck!!)

QVC - I like this store, especially the one on Burnside around 52nd. They have a good weekly flyer and good specials.

Grocery Outlet - I think their prices are high; their tv ads assert otherwise. Might be good in a pinch.

Winco's open 24 hours but they don't have clothing. There are Targets dotted around the metro area, and there's always the feudal lord place (WM), and thrift stores. Generally speaking I limit my purchases there to winter clothing and sturdy shoes, but you might find some stuff you'd be interested in wearing! Check out Value Village, The Goodwill Store down on 7th near downtown, and if you're willing to travel Canby has a great Kiwanis thrift store with a good $1 rack. Somebody down there is very, very fickle about their Eddie Bauer and Evan Picone stuff and I've definitely benefited from that! ;

New Seasons - great store, prices are high. Nice once in a while.

Market of Choice - Far less expensive health supplements. Otherwise very expensive (West Linn)

Whole Foods - nope. Too expensive.

Wild Oats - same. (are any of those still open??)

Last edited by pathrunner; 06-26-2010 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 01:09 PM

thanks pathrunner for the round up! much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland