Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:41 AM

36 posts, read 95,779 times

Advertisements

Hrm. I'm still looking at the West Side vs East.

The east seems like it would be far less walkable. (WalkScore.) Is this some sort of fallacy? Is it really that much less walkable than the west?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 10:26 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korynnn View Post
Hrm. I'm still looking at the West Side vs East.

The east seems like it would be far less walkable. (WalkScore.) Is this some sort of fallacy? Is it really that much less walkable than the west?
It's all about the neighborhood, the geography (up and down hill), and density. Portland's rental market, IMHO, is supply and demand based. Very desirable location, easy walk to shops and grocery, short distance to bus stop / light rail, yada, yada, yada.

Try this: Google map Portland, and turn on the Terrain Feature, You can see the ridge just west of Downtown Portland. NW 21st and 23rd street are part way up on that hillside. East of the Willamette River, the land is for the most part flat. There are pockets of homes and apartments that are close to amenities, grocery stores, and such. However, from IMO, outside of those pockets on the East side it is mostly detached homes with small yards.

Oh, I should add: the Pearl is flat. Cross over I-405, ah, not so much 'flat'.

All I can add is the Pearl and NW Portland have a stronger Urban Feel vibes, while the neighborhood pockets on the East side have a more relaxed 'vibes.'

Old 07-05-2010, 09:33 PM

117 posts, read 274,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korynnn View Post
Riverside is a hole. :P Perfect definition.

Phew, though. That makes me feel lots better. Everyone keeps asking me "Why would you want to leave SoCal! People dream of living here! We have Hollywood! And Disneyland." (Although, I can't remember the last time anyone I know has gone to either of them.) And it's too sunny/smoggy here.

I can't wait for Portland. Any particular neighborhood/district tips?
As someone who has lived in Riverside, and worked for several years in Rialto, and knows the Inland Empire area VERY well, let me chime in here....

Riverside, like all other cities, has its good and its bad spots... so does Portland... dont fool yourself into thinking you are moving to some perfect place by coming here (though anything would be an improvement over Rialto, that IS a hell-hole).... some of the differences I see in my six months of living here...

you definitely wont need your car as much here (or maybe not all depending on your habits)... I personally have gone from buying a tank of gas every 4 days in So Cal, to every 4 weeks here... but if you do drive, take note, people here dont drive worth a damn (sorry natives, but your driving sucks, you drive too slow on the freeway, dont have a clue how to merge, and yielding when you have the right of way is not "being nice", its a good way to cause an accident)....

many here will tell you everything East of 82nd Ave is a ghetto... its not... again, good and bad pockets, do your research, though it sounds like you want to be closer to the downtown area....

job market here is tough, present yourself well you may have a shot... there is a lot of competition yes, but having personally sifted through literally hundreds of applications the past few months, I can tell you that many here will remain unemployed because they cant spell thier own name without using whiteout.

Good Luck!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Isn't going to be difficult to rent an apt when neither one of you has a job? Unless you have substantial savings you may run into a problem.

A landlord may require a few months rent up front because you have no income.

Granted Portland is much nicer than Riverside but unless you find employment Portland won't seem much better after a short period of time.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,496 times
I keep reading all these posts and want to create my own (even tho it will be very similar to everyone else's). However, I'm new to the site and blogging (or whatever) in general. How do I set up my own entry in this forum?

Thanks ya'll.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:46 PM

48 posts, read 126,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyK1 View Post
I keep reading all these posts and want to create my own (even tho it will be very similar to everyone else's). However, I'm new to the site and blogging (or whatever) in general. How do I set up my own entry in this forum?

Thanks ya'll.
click on the new thread button

Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 PM

36 posts, read 95,779 times
Updating: It's been a while.

First, my responses:
Dom, Thank you. :] And I know it won't be perfect, but a vast improvement over Rialto shouldn't be too hard at all. :P
Molly: We do have a good amount of savings, and we intend on paying a few to six months ahead of time.

Buut, I think I should post my update:
Sorry I haven't been around to respond. I've been a busy busy bee. We're buying a house in California first, to renovate, and then to sell. (we're both exceptionally handy, so I think it should work out alright.) :] ALSO, we're getting married! Next October, so our move will be put off for probably an extra half a year after that.
So Oregon has become our longterm (or, well, almost 2 year) goal.
We're now debating on buying versus renting. Although, it seems, that most of the condos/apts for sale are new builds, and too modern for our taste. So, does anyone know any pockets of the city that have mostly older, but still walkable buildings? O:

Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
There are lots. You really need to ask that question when you are ready to move.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 AM

218 posts, read 720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom1964 View Post
As someone who has lived in Riverside, and worked for several years in Rialto, and knows the Inland Empire area VERY well, let me chime in here....

Riverside, like all other cities, has its good and its bad spots... so does Portland... dont fool yourself into thinking you are moving to some perfect place by coming here (though anything would be an improvement over Rialto, that IS a hell-hole).... some of the differences I see in my six months of living here...

you definitely wont need your car as much here (or maybe not all depending on your habits)... I personally have gone from buying a tank of gas every 4 days in So Cal, to every 4 weeks here... but if you do drive, take note, people here dont drive worth a damn (sorry natives, but your driving sucks, you drive too slow on the freeway, dont have a clue how to merge, and yielding when you have the right of way is not "being nice", its a good way to cause an accident)....
On the flip side, California drivers completely forget how to drive when it starts to rain. Last time I was in California and there was a downpour I saw a astonishing amount of accidents, lol.

Quote:
many here will tell you everything East of 82nd Ave is a ghetto... its not... again, good and bad pockets, do your research, though it sounds like you want to be closer to the downtown area....
You right on! 82nd get a bad rep, it's not all bad. I have never felt unsafe. Usually when I am in that area I am heading to Fubonn. Also since they built that center blockade to keep the "working girls" from running back and forth across 82nd, it seems to make the area better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland