Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 07:53 AM

76 posts, read 209,921 times

Advertisements

Tickets are booked - I am finally on my way to Portland! Cannot wait.

This is as much a scouting trip as a vacation so what I'm really looking for are good local suggestions. Places to go to get a more local vibe than a tourist feel.

I'm not sure the area we will be staying (I'm hoping downtown but we're looking into hotels that are part of the Holiday Inn Club/RCI point system), but we will have a car.

So. 6 days to get a feel. It's not much but it will have to do for now.

Places to eat, places for nightlife (I'm 24 after all), places to get the best coffee that ARE NOT starbucks. I've had enough of them for a lifetime as they are on every corner here in Austin.

Also, what do you think the weather will be like during that timeframe? The more gloom the better for me!

whatcha got?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:32 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Let's try this again without my computer locking up, again.

Take a look at this map of the 1st Thursday (of every month) art gallery crawl:
The First Thursday District Gallery & Walking Map by the Art of Geography
Even though you will be there the last thursday, it is still a good walk-about.

Last Thursday (which you will be in town for) art is on Alberta street. More street artist fair, than gallery crawl.
Last Thursday - Portland's Best Creative Expression of Art and Diversity

Portland Saturday Market will still be going on down in Old Town on the Red and Blue MAX lines.
Portland Saturday Market
Aside: this is the source of the most goll-dang ugly fashion you have ever seen, Portland's Winter Hat. Many of the Hipsters wear this awful hat. It is a knit hat the fits close, has ear flaps with a cord attached to each ear flap and a tassel on the end. It would make a great gift to any "Goth" friend you may have. Oh, it does function quite well in January and February. But the Hat-Hair....

Walk down SE Hawthorne street, from oh, about SE 28th or maybe SE 30th to about SE 39th street (now renamed SE Chavez)

Or stroll along NE Sandy from I-84 up to maybe NE 50th or so. This is called the Hollywood district (In side joke: Hollywood starts at NE 42nd and NE Broadway.)

But I also recommend a trip and a stroll through the NW district of NE 23rd and NE 21st street area near the Cinima21 movie theater (art house). Or just ride the #15 bus up there and transfer to the street car at the NW Lovejoy stop to return to downtown.

Powell's city of books on W. Burnside is a must for a quick visit. Powell's has a separate building just for science, technology, and engineering.

This should be on the bottom of you list:
Take either Red or Blue MAX west from Downtown, to the 1st stop inside the tunnel. This will be the Zoo and Washington Park exit. Ride the elevator to the top, IIRC about 800 foot trip. You will end up at the parking lot near the bottom this map:
Washington Park, Portland, Oregon | Map (http://www.washingtonparkpdx.org/map.htm - broken link)
Walk to the Hoyt Arboretum.

In late October, Hoyt Arboretum will be very good. The Japanese Garden is always special and enjoyable.

Be aware, the Zoo, Hoyt Arboretum, Washington Park, and the much larger Forest Park have hiking trails that takes DAYS to travel. Like a 40 mile long trail. Top to bottom Forest Park is almost 1000 foot difference. Don't wonder around without a map or guide.
(the city use to have a topographical map PDF file you could download, but I cannot find a working on line version at this moment.)

The weather will have a chill in the air, bring a light coat. Should be mostly cloudy but dry. Rainy season doesn't start in earnest until Turkey Day.

Google: Boring Lava Field
and read the information in Wikipedia. You should be aware of this information about the old lava and volcano field that is Portland. As you visit you will see the geographical influences of Portland's community: where it was cheap to build, is where the inexpensive homes are. Homes with view of Portland's neighbor active volcano Mt. Hood (60 miles or so away) are much, much more expensive.

Oh, and music, and such:
Willamette Week : Portland News, Music, Movies, Events, Restaurants
covers the music scene for Portland. October is pretty far away.

HTH

Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irr3l3vant View Post
Also, what do you think the weather will be like during that timeframe? The more gloom the better for me!

whatcha got?

You're going to love visiting Portland that week. It's the week the rainy season begins!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,393 times
Go to Sauvie Island and get a pumpkin from the pumpkin patch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: