U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 PM
 
128 posts, read 85,889 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

It seems like it is close to all the fun stuff for kids.
How bad is the traffic commuting into SE Portland
from Hillsboro for a 9 to 5 job? Are property taxes
lower than Portland? I know Hillsboro has the best
soccer club "FC Portland" around the greater Portland/ Vancouver
area.
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Hillsboro, OR
54 posts, read 112,138 times
Reputation: 39
We think its a great place for families. The city's Park & Rec dept is outstanding compared to other places we've lived. Not just for the many parks and trail systems but all the community centers that offer a wide variety of classes and camps. There are lots of free community activities in the summer, like outdoor movies, concerts and the kids carnival. Hillsboro is a bike friendly town and there is an aquatic center with another one to be built eventually. Plus we have the annual Oregon Air Show. Its very cool for kids.

Property taxes seem high to me, but I guess you get what you pay for. The libraries are excellent too. You could check any realtor site to see what they would be for the price range of home you would be looking at.

I dont commute but you may be looking at 1/2 hour or more?

Last edited by BirdInHand; 06-28-2010 at 11:10 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 11:24 PM
 
128 posts, read 85,889 times
Reputation: 31
Good info birdInHand! It's also close to the coast...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington
2,317 posts, read 7,380,237 times
Reputation: 1735
Best place? That's relative. Hillsboro is a good place to raise a family. Vancouver is also a very good place in the metro area. SE city of Portland is also a good place for a family. So is SW city of Portland. And Lake Oswego. And Wilsonville. And West Linn and Milwaukie. And even Oregon City and Gresham and Troutdale and Forest Grove and Camas, too.

But I would argue that Beaverton is the best place. They have some of the best schools in the state and Beaverton is the safest city, statistically, in all of Oregon and Washington. But Hillsboro is good too.

Commuting to and from SE Portland can be a drag though if you're doing a 9 to 5, and it depends on where in SE you're going. Coming home is going to be terrible though. Traffic gets worse every year and their are a lot of bottlenecks, the worst being in downtown when trying to get onto Sunset Highway (US 26 freeway heading west). I did the commute into Northeast (just off the freeway) for a couple months, mostly not at rush hour, and that wasn't so bad. Took me 45 minutes in rush hour roughly, but only 25 minutes coming home in the dead of night, but I stayed on the freeway and didn't have to mess with the street-grid level freeway entrance gridlock onto Sunset Hwy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Oceanside and Chehalem Mtns.
716 posts, read 2,657,680 times
Reputation: 530
Hillsboro has something for everyone. Taxes are slightly lower then Multnomah county. You'll also find that Hillsboro's crime rate is significantly lower then Portland and well below the national average.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM
 
128 posts, read 85,889 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Best place? That's relative. Hillsboro is a good place to raise a family. Vancouver is also a very good place in the metro area. SE city of Portland is also a good place for a family. So is SW city of Portland. And Lake Oswego. And Wilsonville. And West Linn and Milwaukie. And even Oregon City and Gresham and Troutdale and Forest Grove and Camas, too.

But I would argue that Beaverton is the best place. They have some of the best schools in the state and Beaverton is the safest city, statistically, in all of Oregon and Washington. But Hillsboro is good too.

Commuting to and from SE Portland can be a drag though if you're doing a 9 to 5, and it depends on where in SE you're going. Coming home is going to be terrible though. Traffic gets worse every year and their are a lot of bottlenecks, the worst being in downtown when trying to get onto Sunset Highway (US 26 freeway heading west). I did the commute into Northeast (just off the freeway) for a couple months, mostly not at rush hour, and that wasn't so bad. Took me 45 minutes in rush hour roughly, but only 25 minutes coming home in the dead of night, but I stayed on the freeway and didn't have to mess with the street-grid level freeway entrance gridlock onto Sunset Hwy.

I currently live in East Vancouver next to Camas and honestly don't like the area with mostly cookie cutter homes with strip malls everywhere. Not many activities for the kids like the Hillsboro/Beaverton area and is a lot closer to the coast. To me Camas is overrated with having to drive far for good shopping and kids activities. Most of neighborhoods are on a hill with bad soil that doesn't drain that well.

I will be working on Sacramento St off hwy 30, which is about 2 miles from I-205. What if I got off work at 6pm instead of 5pm, would that be better for lighter traffic or even 4pm???
Thanks.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 AM
 
1,663 posts, read 1,888,055 times
Reputation: 2323
SE is not easily accessible from Hillsboro AT ALL, unless you leave at 6am. No offense intended, but unless you like lots of traffic and delays, and enjoy a long commute, I can't understand why anyone would want to commute from Hillsboro to SE Portland.

I've also not been able to establish how Sacramento Street (from another thread) is SE Portland. Sacramento is in NE.

Last edited by pathrunner; 06-29-2010 at 11:52 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Hillsboro, OR
54 posts, read 112,138 times
Reputation: 39
I would say Beaverton and Hillsboro are about the same for what they offer. If you want to shorten your commute than stick with the neighborhoods off of 26.

Interesting, I just read a Bloomberg Businessweek article that has Beaverton as the #1 place for kids with Corvallis as the runner up. Last year Hillsboro was the runner up after Bend.
The Best Places to Raise Your Kids 2009: Oregon - BusinessWeek

It also had listed Hillsboro as the fastest growing city in Oregon. If that is good or bad is up to you but it means opportunities. The vote for bonds for schools, parks, libraries and emergency services always pass so it is a community that cares, I believe this is true of Beaverton also.
America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2010: Fastest-growing city in Oregon: Hillsboro - BusinessWeek
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 01:00 PM
 
128 posts, read 85,889 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
SE is not easily accessible from Hillsboro AT ALL, unless you leave at 6am. No offense intended, but unless you like lots of traffic and delays, and enjoy a long commute, I can't understand why anyone would want to commute from Hillsboro to SE Portland.

I've also not been able to establish how Sacramento Street (from another thread) is SE Portland. Sacramento is in NE.
I stand corrected Pathrunner!
So is the commute any easier from NE?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM
 
128 posts, read 85,889 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdInHand View Post
I would say Beaverton and Hillsboro are about the same for what they offer. If you want to shorten your commute than stick with the neighborhoods off of 26.

Interesting, I just read a Bloomberg Businessweek article that has Beaverton as the #1 place for kids with Corvallis as the runner up. Last year Hillsboro was the runner up after Bend.
The Best Places to Raise Your Kids 2009: Oregon - BusinessWeek

It also had listed Hillsboro as the fastest growing city in Oregon. If that is good or bad is up to you but it means opportunities. The vote for bonds for schools, parks, libraries and emergency services always pass so it is a community that cares, I believe this is true of Beaverton also.
America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2010: Fastest-growing city in Oregon: Hillsboro - BusinessWeek

Great information BirdInHand!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top