Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 PM

75 posts, read 252,797 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Portland the 2nd week of October, to check out the area. (We are considering a possible move next spring - don't panic, we will have employment in the Medical field). My question is we will be there for a few days and want to see the ocean on our way up to Seattle. Where is a good spot to go and how much time should we allow? I am getting info from other forums on what to see. There is too much! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 10:37 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,450,372 times
The Ocean is a good 90 mile one way drive out of your way to Seattle.

Seaside, Astoria and Longbeach are good, you pretty much should take a whole day to do so. OR drive from Portland to Seaside, go up to Astoria and cross the river to LongBeach. Take 101 up to Aberdeen, then drive back inland coming out at Olympia or Bremerton. If you go the Bremerton route you can take the ferry across to Seattle from there. That is a great drive, but there are very few towns in between Longbeach and Olympia area.

Most of the Washington Coast doesn't really have any beaches BTW, so you'll want to hit Oregon as much as possible although Westport in Washington is a nice little fishing town with a touristy downtown corridor.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:55 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,484,254 times
You could do what I did on my last trip to Portland. I visited Portland, then I headed to Astoria, crossed from Astoria to Longview on the interstate bridge, then drove up the Washington coast to Long Beach. Then I caught a highway that led from the coast to Tacoma and Seattle. Highway 101 which runs along Puget Sound. Very scenic.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times
Like Seattle, you really don't see much ocean from Astoria. It's situated between the Columbia River and Young's River. There's lots of water, but no ocean. Seattle is the same, lots of water, but it's all Puget Sound. Take a boat tour of the Sound while you are there.

Highway 26 out of Portland goes to Seaside, and there is lots of ocean and sandy beach at Seaside. Canon Beach is another popular tourist town on the ocean. If the weather is clear, a drive south over Neahkahnie to Tillamook and west over Cape Lookout can be beautiful. If you don't want to backtrack, drive west out of Portland to Forest Grove and pick up Oregon Route 6, also known as the Wilson River Highway. That will put you in Tillamook, and you can head north from there. Unfortunately, that puts you on the landward side of the highway, so the passenger seat will miss a lot of good views.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:48 PM

Why would they need to head south on a trip north. There's plenty of ocean to see on the coast highway in Washington.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,450,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Why would they need to head south on a trip north. There's plenty of ocean to see on the coast highway in Washington.
To get to Seattle along Highway 101 in Washington is a significant distance inland. It also has to skirt Wialpla Bay on the east side, and there are very few places to stop along that road.

You could loop out to Westport via Highway 105 and then back to Aberdeen, it's only an extra hour or so drive.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Thanks all of you for the info on the ocean trip. I will plan out something on your info. I'll let you know what we thought of Portland after our trip - which runs thru Spokane to Portland to Seattle and back thru Spokane - and on to home.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
To get to Seattle along Highway 101 in Washington is a significant distance inland. It also has to skirt Wialpla Bay on the east side, and there are very few places to stop along that road.

You could loop out to Westport via Highway 105 and then back to Aberdeen, it's only an extra hour or so drive.
I've done this drive. As far north as Long Beach. The highway then turned NE and eventually ends up on Puget Sound. But to me, by the time you swing inland, you've been able to see a LOT of ocean. I spent an afternoon on the beach at Long Beach.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the info, but we had to cancel our trip. We will keep the info for the future. Again, thanks to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland