Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 PM

7 posts, read 26,838 times

Advertisements

Me and my fiance will be getting married next summer, possibly in the cannon beach area. We are trying to stay budget conscious.

It's pretty early in the planning process. We are trying to find an exact location for the ceremory, and a cheap location for the reception (which hopefully is nearby). If anyone had any suggestions on exactly where or what the best set up for a reception would be, that'd be greatly appreciated. And any money saving tips would help too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 12:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Maybe it's me but: "cheap", "budget conscious", "money saving" AND awesome, unique, wedding experience, reception might be mutually exclusive. Oregon beaches are windy and cold, even in summer. You asked. I don't care if I'm running a lunch counter, I hear "wedding party" and my rates quadruple. I'm just not getting this wedding on the beach thing. Sounds do not carry on a beach and weddings are all about sound. That said, it is your wedding. But "money saving": move inland. A nice park with a big gazebo... near a pond since you like water... come to think of it... last time I was up at the Gorge I saw a bride and groom ducking under a big waterfall... there is the germ of a unique wedding experience there... try to have some music, live, if possible.

H

Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 AM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
If you're not expecting a large crowd at your wedding I know that Shore Acres down around Coos Bay has a sheltered windbreak above the crashing surf. That might work. There must be other sheltered places along the coast at hotels, parks, etc... AQnd if you wait until late summer, early fall you might find some decent days to get married on the beach itself. Maybe Seaside's promenade?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 AM

682 posts, read 2,423,393 times
Fort Stevens State Park near Astoria has a some really great, secluded, group shelter areas that would work well for a reception (or even wedding). The only catch is that you have to be out of them by dusk. We had a big family reunion there a few years ago and really liked it.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 AM

7 posts, read 26,838 times
Thanks for the suggestions all!

Also, to clarify some stuff, we are going for a pretty low key wedding. Music will be provided by my ipod and speakers, and I'm thinking food will be walmart pre-made subs and trays. An awesome wedding doesn't have to bust our bank accounts. (I know that people hear wedding and prices skyrocket, it angers me)

While the beach may seem like a silly choice, from my earliest memory I've loved the beach and always dreamed of a beach wedding. And added bonus, its free to get married on a beach.

I think the hardest thing will be finding a reception space. (yes, unfortunately I will pay those jacked up prices I'm sure)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland