Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:53 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobert View Post
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Portland from the East Coast. We are looking for some insight into the overall mentality on Gay lifestyle within the Portland community. Any suggestions from open-minded readers as far as finding apartments in a friendly area. This is a pretty broad post but I'm not sure where to start.

Thank you.
I just returned this morning from a trip to Portland and I'm very sensitive to the gay/lesbian scene b/c I have a sister who is a lesbian and is in a very long term relationship and I'm hoping they will move to Portland from Houston after my husband and I relocate there from the midwest next month.
I saw gay couples all over the downtown area, both male and female. There didn't appear to be a 'gay area' like the beautiful rainbow flag area of San Francisco (why can't I remember the name of that area???) or the Montrose area of Houston but I did see several gay nightclubs though several transvestites walking around outside which is a completely different vibe from the gay scene in my opinion.
My understanding is that there is a relatively large gay population in the Hawthorne area but I have not visited that area.
I found out for my sister that Portland does have it's own gay newspaper so perhaps that might be a good source for information.
I honestly didn't think that anyone there was negative towards anyone else, based on race/gender/sexual orientation/disability etc.... I have a son with Down syndrome so when we were there last summer I never felt that he was mistreated in any way.
The only thing bothering me this trip was the homeless teens downtown who are so high on meth and asking me for $$$ for abortions....sigh....
Sorry for the story but hope it helps in some way!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,351 times
Yes, I would agree on the point about the homeless teens...its a little above average in PDX. There are many programs for helping these kids....but you can only help those who want to be helped. Portland is good with citizen awareness of charity work and help organizations, and it is usually given in the spirit of kindness as opposed to a status accessory. I did abit when I was there, and I always felt the feelings to be genuine as opposed to forced. This usually (not always) acts as a barometer for how people view each other in PDX,...more tolerent of difference, more tolerent of people in need of a little help, more tolerent to teach children about "loving thy neighbor" though that statement is a little antique. All and All...PDX is a groovy little town, with its quirks and challenges...but very few people will give you a hard time if your quirks and their quirks dont match...does that make sense?? Now here in Japan its a different story....not better or worse, just different. Gambate!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Yes, I would agree on the point about the homeless teens...its a little above average in PDX. There are many programs for helping these kids....but you can only help those who want to be helped. Portland is good with citizen awareness of charity work and help organizations, and it is usually given in the spirit of kindness as opposed to a status accessory. I did abit when I was there, and I always felt the feelings to be genuine as opposed to forced. This usually (not always) acts as a barometer for how people view each other in PDX,...more tolerent of difference, more tolerent of people in need of a little help, more tolerent to teach children about "loving thy neighbor" though that statement is a little antique. All and All...PDX is a groovy little town, with its quirks and challenges...but very few people will give you a hard time if your quirks and their quirks dont match...does that make sense?? Now here in Japan its a different story....not better or worse, just different. Gambate!!!
Wow~ Japan! Hai Wa!!
My major issue w/ the homeless is I refuse to give any $$$ what-so-ever. I feel that it only contributes to their drug use, alcohol, whatever they use to 'disappear'.
I wasn't prepared on this last trip but once we're there I plan to take numerous easy open cans of food w/ me when we visit downtown so when the homeless/vagrants ask for something I can offer them food. What they do with it afterwards is up to them but atleast I feel I've offered them something they truly can use and my children will see the example of helping those in need without contributing further to their plight. Make sense??
But to get back to the OP's question, the city of Portland is one of the most tolerant places I've seen.....

Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
You see so many homeless teens in a small core of downtown because the services for them are located there. If you walk around downtown you'll see that it's mainly confined to the blocks around Pioneer Square. Unfortunately Pioneer Square is where every tourist goes so suddenly it's "all of downtown."

Old 06-28-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
You see so many homeless teens in a small core of downtown because the services for them are located there. If you walk around downtown you'll see that it's mainly confined to the blocks around Pioneer Square. Unfortunately Pioneer Square is where every tourist goes so suddenly it's "all of downtown."
True....I don't remember seeing any homeless in the Pearl! Definitely Pioneer Square though and in front of the China Town area...

Old 06-28-2007, 02:24 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
The Chinatown/Old Town area in particular is where acess to food, medical and shelter for homeless people is so there's a large homeless population there. Other than that the kids tend to hang out in Pioneer Square and in front of the Central Library. Outside of those areas in downtown you won't see many homeless people.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
The Chinatown/Old Town area in particular is where acess to food, medical and shelter for homeless people is so there's a large homeless population there. Other than that the kids tend to hang out in Pioneer Square and in front of the Central Library. Outside of those areas in downtown you won't see many homeless people.
That's a good observation. I didn't know that about the Chinatown area....

Old 06-28-2007, 04:48 PM

That is a good point, Portland does address this with services for homeless (theres a place on 13th ave, a skills center with art also...cant remember name) While many cities turn their backs. I also dont give handouts on the street, because that is just unproductive, but i do support the programs when I can. The kids hang out at Pioneer Square and the bus mall because its were tourist go and the people have "spare change" getting on busses. The adult homeless are more sporadically spread out, but most of the services for them are in old town. I never felt threatened by anybody in PDX walking the streets at night...its not that kinda thing. Again caution...anywhere...is always good advise.

But as said before...back to the original poster..Portland reminds me of a small San Fran.. Laidback, Liberal, Eco friendly, Great Bars, Great Restaurants, Great markets, Powell Books!! (miss that place) Easy traffic, Good "walking" city, Pet friendly, Bike friendly (to a degree),Temperate weather, Outdoor activities in town and just an hour away,
Good upcoming art scene, Wine savvy, relatively inexpensive (though houseing has gone a bit nutty) Have I missed any other positives?? Yes, Yes of course its not Valhalla....But Its a neat little big city...Go on a vacation there,even in the winter.... gamabate!!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
That is a good point, Portland does address this with services for homeless (theres a place on 13th ave, a skills center with art also...cant remember name) While many cities turn their backs. I also dont give handouts on the street, because that is just unproductive, but i do support the programs when I can. The kids hang out at Pioneer Square and the bus mall because its were tourist go and the people have "spare change" getting on busses. The adult homeless are more sporadically spread out, but most of the services for them are in old town. I never felt threatened by anybody in PDX walking the streets at night...its not that kinda thing. Again caution...anywhere...is always good advise.

But as said before...back to the original poster..Portland reminds me of a small San Fran.. Laidback, Liberal, Eco friendly, Great Bars, Great Restaurants, Great markets, Powell Books!! (miss that place) Easy traffic, Good "walking" city, Pet friendly, Bike friendly (to a degree),Temperate weather, Outdoor activities in town and just an hour away,
Good upcoming art scene, Wine savvy, relatively inexpensive (though houseing has gone a bit nutty) Have I missed any other positives?? Yes, Yes of course its not Valhalla....But Its a neat little big city...Go on a vacation there,even in the winter.... gamabate!!
I, too, think it's a good idea to support the programs instead of the hand-outs. I was in DC once and a friend of mine gave her left-over meal to a homeless woman who, upon peeking inside and seeing the leftover shrimp scampi said, "I'm dining in style tonight!!!" Our hearts felt good at that and I've never forgotten it.
SF is one of my favorite cities of all times, 2nd only to Paris, so knowing Portland is a similar vibe only confirms that I will love it.
I'm anxious to hear what the OP thinks of Portland and the gay scene if he visits/moves....

Old 06-29-2007, 09:49 PM

Well Babycoleslaw...You are merely days away from Portland..
The summer is obviously the best time there, lots of festivals and events...
If you are into art, the Pearl district has "First Thursday" I belive many cities has a simuliar event...Walk around, eat drink, be merry...

There is also Saturday Market...fun, eclectic and supports local growers, artists and craftspeople...I recommend it.

Rose Festival is fun...once. Very crowded and kinda just a big county fair in downtown. Of course there is good food and entertainment...just pick your day wisely. The city really comes alive that week...all over is fun. I prefer the Bones and Brew festival, Or Blues festival...Or heck, make your own festival...sitting out at a sidewalk cafe, not hard to find some friends to join in!!

Another cant miss is the Pug Parade on the eastside...around Russell street, Ithink??? (it may have already happened)

Im sure you will have a great time....let us know!!! Are you relocating or just visiting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland