Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,911 times

Advertisements

I moved to Portland about a year ago and I've had to do some major adjusting. I moved here from Las Vegas and to say the least Portland is almost the complete opposite. So I've gotten used to the no gas pumping thing, slow drivers, Subaru's, constant protesting, and the Portland Proudness. But the newest thing that I'm having a hard time with is this not flushing to toilet when your done with you business. At my new job I'm one of the few people who didn't grow up in Oregon and the native Oregonians are hardcore about not flushing the toilet often to as they say, "Save water and save the environment," There were two times today that I went into the employee restroom and there was a nice big brown present sitting in the toilet. Once was right before I went to lunch and that didn't really help. Seeing a big bowl full of pee also doesn't help much as the smell gets stagnant after awhile. Anyway I guess my question would be, "Is this a common practice taught to Oregonians growing up?" Is this also a trend that is big in Portland right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 AM

48 posts, read 126,343 times
thats sick. flushing a toilet will have no impact. especially when you compare that to things like hydrolic fracking. or the industry practices in general.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I moved to Portland about a year ago and I've had to do some major adjusting. I moved here from Las Vegas and to say the least Portland is almost the complete opposite. So I've gotten used to the no gas pumping thing, slow drivers, Subaru's, constant protesting, and the Portland Proudness. But the newest thing that I'm having a hard time with is this not flushing to toilet when your done with you business. At my new job I'm one of the few people who didn't grow up in Oregon and the native Oregonians are hardcore about not flushing the toilet often to as they say, "Save water and save the environment," There were two times today that I went into the employee restroom and there was a nice big brown present sitting in the toilet. Once was right before I went to lunch and that didn't really help. Seeing a big bowl full of pee also doesn't help much as the smell gets stagnant after awhile. Anyway I guess my question would be, "Is this a common practice taught to Oregonians growing up?" Is this also a trend that is big in Portland right now?
Ooh, that's not okay. It it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down!

I always flushed growing up until I started becoming an independent and critical thinker and my environmental consciousness/resource conservation bent kicked in. I feel that it's totally unnecessary to flush if it's just pee. No one at my house flushes until it gets a little too aromatic, or until someone has to do number 2. In public restrooms however, I'll usually flush after peeing. I always will flush at someone else's house (other than close friends who follow the limited-flush guidelines as well).

So basically, what I'm getting at, is that it's just rude that people at your work aren't flushing after taking a big poo! Shame on them!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
IMO, Portland is not lacking water. This is not SoCal.

As an old-school liberal, I agree, for once, totally with Backdrifter on this issue.

If these eco-do-gooders want an issue: disconnect house's downspouts (roof gutters) from the sewer lines. Storm water must not go into sewage treatment plants.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:20 AM

157 posts, read 523,488 times
What's worse? Not flushing, or the great many people that I see leaving the bathroom without washing their hands, even after a #2.

Last edited by Sarcastic_Twit; 07-13-2010 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: question mark

Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 AM

48 posts, read 126,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic_Twit View Post
What's worse? Not flushing, or the great many people that I see leaving the bathroom without washing their hands, even after a #2.
That would be much worse to me. That's something a very young child would do, which is innocent. Not so with an adult. I guess it's always been one of those things that bothered me. If I catch a friend over here who's in the bathroom for awhile and walks right out after flushing... , you bet I'll say something!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 AM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times
If it's brown, flush it down!

I do not tend to flush pee down at home until there seems too much toilet paper involved to go easily. My California husband has generally become accepting of it but needs a "clean slate" when he enters with a book in hand.

At a restaurant I'll add to any yellow pot, but do tend to flush if I'm in a classier joint. I knew of quite a few ladies in my home town who refused to use the toilet paper (I supposed they used their hand and then washed) but I could never seem to be comfortable with that.

But you always flush brown down. That's just gross.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM

11 posts, read 20,481 times
I hadn't realized that Oregon was, like New Jersey, a state where you cannot pump your own gas. (Those are the only two)
I know all the arguments for that, but it really is just amazingly stupid. Glad I'll be selling my car when I get there, that would drive me nuts. Of course, I am gonna feel really stupid having someone fill up my one-gallon scooter tank...

Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times
From my experience they tend to let people on two wheeled vehicles pump their own. Not supposed to, but they do.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 PM

218 posts, read 720,958 times
I sometimes pump my own gas when I get tired of waiting for the attendants. lol. Actually I used to work a job where I drove a lot and there where times where I would pull up to the pumps and nobody would come out so I would pump my own gas, pay with my debit card on the pump and leave with nobody ever coming out. lol. But I remember the first time I drove to California I pulled up to a pump and sat there for a while before I realized that I had to pump my own gas, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: