Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 PM

Location: Outer edge of Portland metro, a stone's throw to the Clackamas R:)
38 posts, read 142,788 times

Advertisements

I need to find a nice place for my father, who is moving here to be close to me now that he is a widower. I've started touring some of the independent/assisted living facilities near where I live, but would like to hear others' opinions--good, bad, whatever. I would prefer to have him within 30 min or less (preferably less) from my home, which is near 212/224 split.

My father does not golf. My ideal place would have a fitness center with modern equipment, and perhaps a trainer on staff. So far, "fitness room" has meant a pretty small space with a half dozen machines.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 AM

92 posts, read 112,459 times
Look into Club Estates East 12260 SE Main. No exercise room but there are exercise classes and a swimming pool. Bus right outside the community. Nice people. Some vacancies and more soon.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,439,347 times
I had a friend who moved in here on Cason Road. It's just off of the Gladstone Exit, so it's very close to you. She loved it (she was 92 when she moved in about three years ago; we haven't kept in touch). She had a small one bedroom apartment and described the place as very social[one's choosing]; you can either choose private dining or group dining & there're plenty of social activities for people.

Assisted Living NE Gladstone - Somerset Assisted Living - Gladstone, OR 97027

My friend's mother moved in to this one after being widowed. It's on River Road, between Oak Grove and Milwaukie. It has some gorgeous views of the Willamette.

Willamette View Retirement Living

These are the only two that I am familiar with. Both people I knew who stayed there were very happy with them. Good luck to your dad~~~

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 07-23-2010 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: wrong site

Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,465,628 times
There are a couple just rental retiree places around Willamette View as well. Willamette View has a great reputation but may be a bit pricy..

The advantage of Willamette View is that it large enough to have extensive facilities such as a fitness center.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:01 AM

157 posts, read 522,208 times
If you can afford it, Miramont Pointe is right on Sunnyside Rd and is highly recommended by some of my old timer neighbors. They have tour luncheons and many activities, but are expensive. Website: Welcome to Miramont Pointe, Senior Living in the Portland Metro Area, Clackamas, OR

You'd be 10-15 minutes away.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:06 AM

Location: Outer edge of Portland metro, a stone's throw to the Clackamas R:)
38 posts, read 142,788 times
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I visited many places, and decided on Miramont Pointe--it is close to me and is a very nice place.

Fortunately, my dad can afford it--he has a pension, which is something neither I nor my husband have--so I'm hoping he will like it once he gets thru the transition of moving.

fyi, I learned a lot about senior living while doing my research, so if anyone wants some advice or tidbits, please feel free to email me at drtrishvoss at yahoo dot com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: