Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,110 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm picking up the keys to my duplex next Friday and am looking around at possibilities. I am carless, do not plan on renting a car, and I will purchase a shopping cart to move the few items I have on the bus.

I've decided I will utilize IKEA, Target, and thrift stores for smaller apartment items (kitchenware, bedding, curtains). However, I am starting off from scratch with furniture. What places in the Portland area offer shipping of furniture?

I know IKEA does, and I might use it to ship something if I find it in the as is section. But are there any furniture/vintage/thrift stores that have the same services? I do have a co-worker who is willing to sell some items and drive to my house. I also have a friend who might be willing to help as well. I just don't want to abuse my newly found friendship with them.

As always, thanks for the help. I assure you that this will be (one of the) last time(s) I ask for assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:36 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
You might try someplace like City Liquidators. It's likely to be hit and miss, but bargains are to be had. And they deliver. I think any traditional furniture stores will. It gets less likely when you get to consignment shops, etc. But they can have great bargains.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 PM

478 posts, read 881,863 times
I second City Liquidators if you are looking basically for bargain-basement furniture. They have an enormous selection, and their shop is several stories of great fun to browse. Make sure you see their second building (across the street) if you are looking for anything at all office-related (chairs, desks, etc.) City Liquidators Furniture Warehouse - New & Used Home and Office Furniture

For mattresses (they have some furniture too), an extremely reasonable place I highly recommend is The Mattress Lot Welcome to The Mattress Lot? Great prices, great selection, and they deliver...even by bike if you are close enough!

Sellwood Furniture is top-notch for nicer furniture- they do not deliver themselves but refer to a delivery service. I've had great service from them. Home

Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I think that Costco's furniture offerings are likely to be out of scale (to big) for a duplex but they do sell mattresses that are delivered to your door. Once advantage is that if you don't like the mattress you can return it!

The Hillsboro Costco usually has a large furniture display.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
I've bought items before from www.craigslist.org ...saying, "i'll buy your bed if you can deliver it to me". etc,

Old 06-07-2013, 03:05 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I've bought items before from www.craigslist.org ...saying, "i'll buy your bed if you can deliver it to me". etc,
I got rid of my bark dust on craigslist by posting it in the free section with the condition they had to come shovel it out of my yard.

I also vote for City Liquidators. I got my desk from there and it's survived several moves. I bought a chest freezer from someone on craigslist and he delivered it. It never hurts to ask-the worst they can do is say no.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
City Liquidators is fun. You never know what they will have. One day nothing and the next say you hit gold.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,110 times
I'm definitely hitting up City Liquidators and then checking out the Mattress Lot tomorrow. I also love how Matress Lot will deliver via bicycle if I live close enough. Once I furnish the place, I'll update everyone with pictures. It'll be the final update to my story of finding a job, moving, and getting an apartment!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
I was just told by someone that there's a mattress place, somewhere around in the inner east side, that makes mattresses. (Yes, I know it's vague ... it was someone who was told by someone kind of thing.) And that sometimes, their discards are left out, available on the sidewalk ... for free. I'm wondering if it's Mattress Lot.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 AM

156 posts, read 236,040 times
Yes, I also don't drive and I have purchased stuff on Craigslist that way...I explain I don't drive and see if they are willing to deliver. Works most often, especially if they are close by. Downside is that getting delivery takes away your bargaining power on the purchase price. Many times thrift store or consignment stores have a person they contract with to do deliveries for a small fee. You can also check or post on Craigslist for private men with a truck who deliver by the piece. For me personally I always pick vintage/antique vs Target or Ikea. I am not sure which has higher resale value in Portland, but I am guessing it would be the real furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland