Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times

Advertisements

It's funny how black people are much more comfortable in the South!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btheferrett View Post
I will be moving to Portland in 3 weeks! I come up next week to pick a house. I have been researching for months. Working in Tigard, 3 kids, husband does not have a job yet (I have already heeded the warnings I have read on here about that, so please don't freak me out any further!)
Coming from a suburb of Dallas, I have noticed a BIG difference in the following:
Everyone is white!!! Whatever "white" actually even means, when I look at the demographics in every single city, most of the pie chart is coded "white"....about 75% in most areas......OMG....I am a little concerned for my mixed black/white kids, and my black husband. Should I be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 10:35 PM

119 posts, read 379,588 times
Quote:
Everyone is white!!! Whatever "white" actually even means, when I look at the demographics in every single city, most of the pie chart is coded "white"....about 75% in most areas......OMG....?
If anybody took the time to look at the demographics of Portland on city data,one would have seen that out of 566,141=73.8% of the population is white,
therefore 100-73.8= 26.2% IS NOT!!!!
What more do you want?
Out of 566,141 people in this city 35,305 are blacks!!!

You claim to be a white person
how can you think so little of your own kind and say the things that you have said above?
A black person would NEVER denigrate their race like you have "yours"?
A white person WOULD NEVER DARE to go on the Atlanta,Detroit,Washington D.C.,south side of Chicago,south central L.A. or Oakland site and say what you have said above,city-data would banned them.
Why is it that where ever you go on city data ,people are allowed to DENIGRATE and classified a majority white area as being something EVIL or NEGATIVE!
Most puzzling to me is why these people whom are always coming with this sort of stuff about :to much white,so white,outrageously white,concern with so many whites,ect,ect, are always looking to move in these areas witch have a majority of the people they fear,hate or do not want to be around?
and than ask these questions where ignorance, bigotry and racism is express on their part.
If a majority white causes such phobias in one why doesn't one stay the hell away?......

Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times
There are very few black people in Richardson, Texas. There is a very large Asian community & some hispanics, but by far the majority is plain vanilla white. The OP is off base. I went to the same high school that Jessica Simpson went to in Richardson. This is the first suburb due north above the loop 635 LBJ Freeway.

Dallas has a large black community, but Dallas is still fairly segregated. Most African Americans live in South Dallas, Fair Park, and East Dallas. Dallas itself has less than 50% white.

Black folks live in the North Dallas suburbs, but I would say the number is less than 15%.

I know girls like the OP. OMG!

Quote:
I re-read my post and realized that I did not elaborate enough on what I mean....
In Richardson TX (suburb of Dallas) the division is almost exactly equal between white, hispanic, black, asian and other. Very diverse. I did not necessarily mean "scared" like "scared for our well-being"....I meant concerned about the lack of diversity. I suppose teaching my kids diversity ALSO encompasses the lack thereof, but I also don't want them to feel like the odd man out. Does that make sense?

Last edited by bluenoter; 07-29-2010 at 11:52 PM..

Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
To the OP- you are justified in your feelings and I will repeat... as a real, live P.O.C./ Mixed Race person, I feel that Portland is not as diverse as most Metro. areas in the country. My family and I moved for the better schools and high quality of life. Most areas in PDX, you and your family will feel fine in. People are not overtly racist but, sure, as in any place in the nation, people will say stupid things to you. This is life, as you already know. I respect you for asking your question and think it is positive that you are as caring for your children's welfare as you are. Send me a personal message if you have any specific questions. Good luck, again!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:14 AM

157 posts, read 523,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
There are lots of Asian, East Indian and middle-eastern people on the west side of Portland, but it seems predominantly white. Accent on "seems." The East Side of Portland is pretty diverse and "seems" predominantly white. People in Portland in general are tolerant of inter-racial relationships and half-breed kids. Just last night I was in the grocery store and a white lady was wheeling her child in a shopping cart, he was very black. This is not a very common sight, but not unusual.
My kids are half-breeds and the Chinese term for them is "half/half" or "one half/one half".

I don't know any Chinese or Vietnamese people that would be offended by the term "oriental" either.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times
My kids are "half-breeds" or "half/half" too, but they look totally white. This is a non-issue for me. Personally I don't see what is wrong with the term, but I understand and accept that it bothers some people.

Last edited by pathrunner; 07-30-2010 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-30-2010, 08:24 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
My kids are "half-breeds" or "half/half" too, but they look totally white. This is anon-issue for me. Personally I don't see what is wrong with the term, but I understand and accept that it bothers some people.
Being offended is a requirement for correct thinking White People:
"Naturally, white people do not get offended by statements directed at white people. ............. As a rule, white people strongly prefer to get offended on behalf of other people."

The whole story: #101 Being Offended « Stuff White People Like

Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 AM

Well... I think that's minimizing the feelings of "people of color." I think it's important to understand the point though, which is that white people get indignant, and some of the things they get indignant about are appropriate.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
The last several posts are examples of the stupid "social racism" that you and your family will experience in PDX but seriously, that's just everywhere. I personally LOVE being talked about in a negative way on a public forum by faceless cowards. I realize there is a lot of ignorance, apathy, and jealousy in the world, esp. in the cyber world. You should realize that there are a great many cool people in PDX who have lived all over the country and the world. You will be embraced by the right groups and the losers who can't deal with you and the family are the same losers who cry and whine. My fam and I have met some truly kind and intelligent families and I am sure you will, too. Remember that there are a lot of older and old fashioned people on this forum. Check out Yelp-Portland to get a better feel for the under 60 crowd. You won't hear the antiquated term, Half- Breed, there because most younger people don't describe themselves that way plus most of the younger generations are mixed race, anyway. I am sure a great deal of people on this forum still use the term, Negro, LOL...

Old 07-30-2010, 12:25 PM

Yankeemama your post is very offensive. Just who is intolerant here?? You don't know me, you have no idea who and what I am. How dare you.

Edited to add: Did you actually read my post? It said "it offends people of color." How that is social racism is beyond me. But whatever. Look at the log in your own eye before complaining about the toothpick in someone else's eye.

Last edited by pathrunner; 07-30-2010 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland