Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,562 times

Advertisements

My husbands job may be moving him to Portland and I am looking for advice on best palces to live and have the best schools as well for my two sons as well as for looking for a teaching job for myself. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 06:21 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
Welcome to Portland.

The test score results are on the inter-net, I don't have the link but others will point the way.

You didn't mention the vicinity of your husband's employment, that will impact our suggestions.

All public schools are taking budget hits and many private schools may have empty chairs as households watch their personal budgets, finding a teaching position may be tough.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 PM

he'll be working in Portland if he makes the move, is the Vancouver WA area doing any better?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 PM

NO! Vancouver is not better.

Portland is a med-size city. By "working in Portland" do you mean 'down town' or the core area?

He could be working near PDX (or needing to go in & out of PDX), or at Lewis & Clark College and still be in Portland. Many employers describe the site as Portland when in fact it is not in the City at all.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 AM

157 posts, read 523,577 times
If you have certification in any special ed areas you should have better luck. Otherwise, you will need to hunt in the more rural districts which will increase your commute time (if you're lucky to get hired). Oregon also has a Master's degree requirement, but I think that's becoming a nationwide standard.

You need to be more specific on where your husband job location is in Portland.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:51 AM

I think that it is at Daimler Headquarters on Channel Avenue. I do have a MA in teaching with specialty in early childhood but not special ed.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:11 PM

76 posts, read 215,261 times
Where do people get this idea that Vancouver might be better. Its not for sure! Teaching jobs are hard to come by with all the cuts the state is making and positions are being eliminated. Channel Avenue is near Swan Island and if I were to pick a neighbohood with good schools and nice neighborhoods I would look in the Sylvan/Forest Heights area. The your husband can cross the bridge from Hwy 30 to get to work.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:15 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic_Twit View Post
Oregon also has a Master's degree requirement, but I think that's becoming a nationwide standard.
Can you elaborate further? Are you saying that you have to have a master's degree in education before you can begin teaching? Here, and I assumed this was the practice everywhere, you can teach with a bachelor's and you earn more pay if you have a master's.

I ask as we are thinking of Portland as an eventual destination and I work in education. I have a bachelor's in secondary ed, but a master's in instructional design (which gets you master's pay, but is not considered a master's when it comes to being AA-certified instead of A-certified).

Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 PM

In Michigan you need a bachelor's degree to teach, from what I have found I can transfer my certification to Oregon with paperwork, it's a matter of finding a job first. Thanks for all the suggestions

Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 PM

I would do all the paper work first (transfer certification), then go on the hunt for a job. It will not be easy but if you are willing to substitute teach it might help you when an open materializes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland