Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,586 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a transfer with his company and the office is in Lake Oswego and I've been looking and found a great job, but it is in Vancouver (closer to the 205). Where should we consider living? We are moving from Los Angeles so my hope would be somewhere where we 1) it's a peaceful environment -can't hear much traffic or have to deal with it 2) have a yard and 3) not in a row house/dense housing development. Our children are grown so we do not have to be concerned about school districts. Is there somewhere we can live where our commutes don't exceed 30 minutes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM

76 posts, read 215,261 times
Well halfway in between would be along I-205 somewhere. Ahh only if you vould live in LO or West Linn but the commute for you to the "couve" would be horrendous. Just an FYI - no matter what your commute will be bad for a time anyways because they are repairing the bridge crossing into Vancouver. Anyhow - the most "decent" neighborhood that is halfway between would be Happy Valley (newer development), Oregon City is nice in some areas and there is a little neighborhood called Maywood Park (older homes, large yards and lots) that is pretty nice. Your commute will be about 30 minutes, maybe a little more

Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,586 times
Thank you. Lake Oswego is beautiful and would be ideal and it makes me even think I should bear the commute because it seems like what we want, but I know my commute tolerance level is about 45 minutes tops on a routine basis. Thanks for the Happy Valley tip. I 've seen some houses on Craigslist that looked interesting (great yards). I'm coming up this weekend and will go drive around.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:35 PM

Yeah - you would tire of the commute pretty quickly. If you want a nice, newer home that is relatively large and doesnt have a neighbor on top of you I would look in Happy Valley first. But check it all out when you visit and you will get a better idea of where you want to be. I will tell you to stay away from the Clackamas area in general...gangs/drugs/prostitution. Oh, Eastmoreland might fit what you're looking for too. Its on the border of Portland and Milwaukie

Old 07-29-2010, 09:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
I too think Eastmoreland would be a good place to look. Although a commute from Portland to Vancouver will not be a breeze you will be traveling the 'light' direction during the rush hour (assuming you work 9am ish to 5pm ish).

The housing (real estate disaster) blog spot that USED to be useful was Portland Housing Blog but is his pretty much exhausted itself. Now the Oregon Housing Blog would be where I would go for independent housing trend info (although it is more big picture than local): Oregon Housing Blog

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 07-29-2010 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM

are you renting or buying? the rental market is really good right now and you can get a great deal

Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
[unPC]Maybe its me (its not) but I see no win-win here. With one job in L.O. and the other in WA, how is there not going to be a commute? So regardless of one's 'tolerance', the reality is going to trump the dream. Here is a really radical idea: how about youse guys flip a coin:heads he works in L.O. and you sponge off him until you can also find a job in L.O. or thereabouts (or not, what, they're paying him peanuts?) OR tails, you work in WA and he sponges off you until he can find employment within 10 miles of home.[/unPC]What I'm suggesting really isn't all that radical since there are no children involved. Try it and thank me later.

H

Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy326 View Post
Well halfway in between would be along I-205 somewhere. Ahh only if you vould live in LO or West Linn but the commute for you to the "couve" would be horrendous. Just an FYI - no matter what your commute will be bad for a time anyways because they are repairing the bridge crossing into Vancouver. Anyhow - the most "decent" neighborhood that is halfway between would be Happy Valley (newer development), Oregon City is nice in some areas and there is a little neighborhood called Maywood Park (older homes, large yards and lots) that is pretty nice. Your commute will be about 30 minutes, maybe a little more
What the pro and cons of living in Happy Valley? The schools seem to be subpar and very close to Clackamas which has a lot of crime.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 PM

I agree, Happy Valley overall is not the best place to live. But it is if you're looking for somewhere in between LO and Vancouver off I-205. Personally I wouldnt live there but if I had to choose a place like OP, it would probably be here

Old 07-30-2010, 01:56 AM

157 posts, read 523,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandorBust View Post
My husband has accepted a transfer with his company and the office is in Lake Oswego and I've been looking and found a great job, but it is in Vancouver (closer to the 205). Where should we consider living? We are moving from Los Angeles so my hope would be somewhere where we 1) it's a peaceful environment -can't hear much traffic or have to deal with it 2) have a yard and 3) not in a row house/dense housing development. Our children are grown so we do not have to be concerned about school districts. Is there somewhere we can live where our commutes don't exceed 30 minutes?
Maywood Park would be a better fit for you. Happy Valley or West Linn would be slightly better for him.

Washington has no state income tax. Have you thought about your tax savings from that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Creeks View Post
What the pro and cons of living in Happy Valley? The schools seem to be subpar and very close to Clackamas which has a lot of crime.
Happy Valley is divided by Mount Scott. The west side of Happy Valley between 82nd and 92nd is not very good. Low income, high crime, and Title I schools. East of 92nd, it gets much better with larger, newer homes and brand new schools. It goes from very urban to very suburban.

The pros are larger homes with larger lots. Quiet, with less traffic. Sunnyside Rd has been recently widened and allows for easy access to 205. Close to a lot of shopping. Safe.

Cons are it's suburbia. Identical homes. HOAs. SUVs. No public transportation (the Happy Valley line is due to close service). No decent food. Far from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland