Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 51,797 times

Advertisements

This forum thread has helped me out a lot. Im moving to Portland next month from Salt Lake City, UT. My boyfriend is getting a job transfer in downtown Portland. We would prefer living in the downtown area in a 1 bedroom apartment for now. We don't want to commute more than 10-15 minutes. Is it possible to find an affordable apt (500-700) range in Portland? And maybe something a little newer, we just got out of a ****ty apt and want something more livable. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone know of a good apartment community/complex? From what Im gathering, the west is better than the east. Hes going to be working SW I think. Right over the bridge I believe? Ive never been there so Im gonna be lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Moving to Portland from Utah! -TO- Portland Area Where to Live

Im moving to Portland from Salt Lake City, Utah next month. Ive only lived in Utah for 5 yrs and before that I grew up in the Jersey shore. So, the weather is a lot like Portland so Ill be okay with that. Thing is... Ive never been to Portland, its 5x as bigger as SLC.. and I grew up with 10,000 people in my town in NJ. I need to know the good and bad areas of Portland and where I should live. My Boyfriend is getting a job transfer in Southwest Portland I believe. So we want to stay over there. Does Anyone have any apartment ideas in that area? (any communities or complexes you recommend?) Also, we'd love to live downtown too if thats possible, but not spend over $700 a month ? What should I expect when I move there? Were pretty much going there not having a place to even live, just a truck full of our stuff, and ourselves. Help!

Ps- Im not LDS, so the liberal-ness will do me well!!

Old 01-28-2007, 08:23 PM

118 posts, read 419,030 times
Pod4,

LDS funny! OK um well southwest Portland has some interesting areas but you won't find many cheap apartment rates there. Multnomah Village is nice but some people find it boring and overpriced. Marquam Hill by Oregon Health and Science University has places but like I said, none of them cheap. I could recommend living in southeast Portland but it has some areas to avoid. It would be more affordable maybe. Also Milwaukee is its own town yet close to southwest Portland. Can't really think of much else. Hope everything works out! Welcome to the beautiful Pac Northwest!

Old 01-30-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobot18 View Post
Pod4,

LDS funny! OK um well southwest Portland has some interesting areas but you won't find many cheap apartment rates there. Multnomah Village is nice but some people find it boring and overpriced. Marquam Hill by Oregon Health and Science University has places but like I said, none of them cheap. I could recommend living in southeast Portland but it has some areas to avoid. It would be more affordable maybe. Also Milwaukee is its own town yet close to southwest Portland. Can't really think of much else. Hope everything works out! Welcome to the beautiful Pac Northwest!

Thanks! I found an apartment on the southeast.. it looked nice haha. we'll see how it goes! It's a little more pricey than Utah but OH well!

Old 02-11-2007, 02:00 PM

118 posts, read 419,030 times
Let me know how the apartment works out!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
I agree with the person that recommended Sellwood, Eastmoreland, etc. Also MT. Tabor is a nice family community on the East side. Raliegh Hills is a good location if you like suburbia and/or want good schools for kids b/c it is an easy commute. The west Hills are pretty expensive, but there are sometimes bargains to be found if you are willing to live in something funky and/or needs work. Lake Oswego is suburbia, but not a terrible commute. Beaverton is a suburban nightmare, but OK if you work out there too.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,495 times
Default Pet-friendly rental home

I'm planning on moving to Portland within the next 3-4 months.

I work in animal welfare so I have quite a few pets that I'll be bringing with me (cats/dogs). What's the best way to find a pet-friendly home in Portland? Is the Portland Craigslist a good resource or rather stay away from that?

Old 08-25-2012, 03:20 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I suggest you contact animal rescue organizations in the Portland area to see if they have suggestions. Our rental vacancy rate is VERY LOW, expect a major challenge in finding a place to rent with a lot of pets.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,495 times
Wow, I'm surprised to hear hat. I thought Portland was a VERY pet-friendly city.....

Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM

353 posts, read 934,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Our rental vacancy rate is VERY LOW,
I guess everything is relative. In looking at Portland vs Seattle, Portland is much more reasonable and has more available. (for me anyway)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland