Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:45 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,896 times

Advertisements

I would echo, if you want greenery, nice places to hike really close by (light rail stop in Forest Park!), access to the ocean, and a more urban/liberal atmosphere, Portland wins. Portland has good schools for a central city, which Denver overall does not (some individual schools are probably good?) I think Portland is prettier, greener and has nicer architecture.

That said, if you hate the rain and love the sun, Denver wins. I think the snow is nice and doesn't stick around. What I mind more is the dry, less greenery, no major or minor natural water bodies nearby. Denver does have urban charms, maybe not on par with Portland, but it does have nice older neighborhoods and "urban" things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:31 AM

39 posts, read 86,345 times
I lived in Denver for 25 years and Boulder for 4 years while in college. As for liberal, Boulder is far ahead of both Denver and Portland. But the winters really got to me after a while-the weather is just too extreme, too surprising and not in a good way. They are right about the rainstorms in summer too. I lived in Portland for 2 years in 1981. Yes, it's really rainy, but a smaller town by all means. Denver is one big ugly city, with the exception of small neighborhoods. Boulder would have been my first choice on relocating after 25 year in Denver, but housing prices are very high. So I moved to northern CA. Yeah, the housing is high but, guess what!! Not as high as Boulder. I was looking for a very liberal area, and I found it. Up here in Sonoma County, I am far enough away from the congestion, but still have the incredible beauty and the produce here is organic and relatively cheap. Yes, property taxes are higher, and you have to make your own job, but that's the case in a lot of places now. I may go back to CO someday, but only if one of my kids moves back there. I love the beach, redwoods and all the outdoor activities here. Boulder, from my college years, will always be my first love, but northern CA comes in at a close second. As for Denver, enjoy it-it's too big for me.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 PM

146 posts, read 495,843 times
I have spent a lot of time in Denver, and quite a bit in Portland.

My opinion is Denver is a Midwestern city located close to the mountains. It's Kansas City with mountains. Portland is a true west coast city with some mountains and a nice ocean.

I couldn't care less about pro sports teams so Denver is a big raspberry in that regard.

IMO Portland wins hands down.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
I lived in Portland for 2 years in 1981.
Keep in mind that this is a very different city than it was in '81. If you haven't been back for a visit recently you may be surprised to see the changes.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:03 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,896 times
Quote:
As for liberal, Boulder is far ahead of both Denver and Portland.
I think it depends what you mean. Wacky, off-the-wall, unreasonable activists mixed with typical suburbanites and rich folks? Boulder is more liberal. Urbane, diverse, progressive? Portland wins by a mile. (I know, its sad when Portland seems diverse in comparison to somewhere).

Old 10-01-2010, 04:26 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Mike, I don't think it's necessarily true that CO is more conservative than OR. Certainly parts are. Much like there are parts of OR that are much more conservative than Boulder.

Greeley is fairly conservative.

I think you are also forgetting how RABIDLY liberal Portland can be. There are many places in CO that are liberal, they just aren't quite as vocal about it as Portland is. (I know I'm not going to get accosted by GreenPeace on the sidewalk in Fort Collins, or even Denver (maybe Boulder)).

I guess after living in both places I would summarize as:
Portland really gets off on it's identity as a VERY liberal city.
Colorado is a little more mixed, and frankly doesn't really like to talk about it.

I like both places so I'm not trying to be biased.

The thing I find awfully funny and maybe its regarding Portlands rabidly liberal atmosphere but maybe not. The city pride issue as well and some people seem pretty easy to troll. Some of them are rather too easy.

Like, I pretended to be a guy on Portland craigslist from Oklahoma who was a bible thumper and said how me and a coalition want to come there and help get the voices out to change your ways. Post got flagged within an hr LOL.

Another time, I sarcastically bashed Portland because I knew I would get haters to my video LOL. I got TONS of comments telling me to **** off.. Its not like this you stupid fool. Come here, I will beat you up. The comments were so funny. I had to even tell people, you been trolled. LOTS of city pride there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland